Controlling one computer by another through keyboard?

petreza

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Hi,

I want my computer"2" to think that I am typing on the keyboard but instead I want my Computer"1" to do the typing.

I found these:

http://www.vetra.com/331Utext.html

and

http://www.barcodeman.com/altek/mule/mule.php

but they both require a Serial Port interface which my computer"1" does not have. I can always use a USB-to-Serial adaptor but I was hoping for more elegant solution like USB----USB thing.

Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks!

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
yeah, i'm guessing you want hardware, but if you do want software, you can try VNC viewer (google)
it's a little slow and you gotta have network between the computers, but it works

Ara

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
ok, ok, i see now, re-read your question

you want one computer to type on the other for you??
never heard of anything personally, and ignore the answer i gave above, any ideas anyone?

Ara

petreza

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
yes it has to be hardware ( I am well aware of the software options ) and only through the keyboard.

Thanks for your help though!

jlamongie

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Hi,

I use a KVM switch in addition to synergy for sharing my keyboard and mouse. It just plugs into the mouse and keyboard ports of both computers, and the keyboard and mouse are then plugged into the KVM switch.

I also use a free sharing app called synergy to switch from on Pc to the other using the same keyboard and mouse. I like synergy because i can switch from one screen to the other (they're side by side) simply by moving the mouse to the edge of one screen directly into the screen of the other Pc. But I also have the benefit of a hardware KVM in case the software app hangs.

It doesn't seem like that's what you're looking for though. I don't quite understand what your actual need is.
Why do you need computer "2" to think that you are typing on the keyboard?

petreza

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Why do you need computer "2" to think that you are typing on the keyboard?

What I want is to do is automate the keyboard input to a certain program running on computer"2" but because the place where I am going to use computer"2" does not allow me to install any programs, I am trying to automate my laptop - computer"1" and have it just send out the keyboard strokes to computer"2".

Does that explain it better?

Loup Garou

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Would a PC remote control aplication installed on PC 1 controling PC2 do the trick? If so, just google PC Remote control. I assume that both PC are networked.

petreza

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Would a PC remote control aplication installed on PC 1 controling PC2 do the trick? If so, just google PC Remote control. I assume that both PC are networked.

the pc being CONTROLLED cannot run anything other than what it already has and it does not have anything for remote access

petreza

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
What software are you going to use to send the laptop keyboard data out it's USB port to your emulating device?

I am planning to use a USB-to-Serial adapter and then to the vetra I posted above.

As far as the software goes, I will have to figure that out but if it is possible in hardware and there is no software I might get someone to write me a utility to map the regular keys of the keyboard which would be enough. Then I will figure out the scripting of what's to be sent to the utility myself.