pc to pc crossover

can someone teach me how to network 2 pcs using crossover cable? One pc is using win2k onboard ethernet (abit nf7-s) and another is dual boot win98/win2k with a linksys NIC.
I'm using this network to transfer files and for gaming.

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink:
14 answers Last reply
More about crossover
  1. just buy a crossover cable and plug both of them in. Then just share something on one, and it should be visible from the other.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
  2. I tried that but I still can't see the files in my harddisk

3. when you say you can't see your files on your HDD, are you saying that you can't connect to the other computer period???

I use crossover all the time and works for me.
  4. what he said - can each PC ping the other one?

5. Make sure both PCs have the same protocols running. To be safe I like to have TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, and NetBIOS added. And make sure both pcs have the same IP scheme. Since its just 2 pcs set one to 192.168.1.1 and the other to 192.168.1.2
  6. well unfortunately i'm not so savvy with networking terms. Its just my first time doing this. Anyway yeah I can see one pc from the other but just the name and the deepest I can go when I double click the name is "Scheduled task" and "Printers"

7. I used tcp/ip and got Battlefield 1942 to work but the problem above persists

8. did you share anything?

9. yes i turned in the file sharing but left the printer sharing off

10. I think you are connecting, but you don't know it yet. When you see scheduled taks and printers, on the explorer "bar" you'll see something like this

\\yourcomputername

add to that \c$

so you'll end up with a line like this up at the bar
    \\yourcomputername\c$

try that
  11. wooohoooo. yeah it works now. Thank you very much. And thanks to everyone who helped too.

12. cool. Also, if you had shared something (not just turning on file sharing, but actually shared a folder) you would have seen the share name in the network neighborhood. But the generic c$ method works also. The most generic of all is to use ipc$ which authenticates you on the machine allowing you to explicitly use any resource (through the net use command)

13. can I just share one folder and deny access to all others? because the dual boot system is mine and i use 98 for file sharing while 2k is all work without any file sharing.

the other pc running on win2k belongs to my roommate and its troublesome for him to enable file sharing while linked to my pc and disable it later when connected to the college network. while on this issue, can there be 2 tcp/ip protocols? one for the college network and another for the local network? otherwise my roommate has to change the settings and reboot everytime he switches the network.

Thanks again for helping

14. just make sure you have good password on both and you should be fine. By good, I mean numbers and letters mixed up, etc.

Ask a new question

Read More

Networking