Question Won't burn anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

mknabster

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
My Superdrive has been shot for awhile now, but for some reason, i have noticed that as soon as it stopped working entirely now, my external drive won't work either. Back when the Superdrive worked, the external worked fine, but as soon as the internal died, the external won't either. I can rip from both internal and external, but not burn anything, be it a music CD or data DVD. I have Toast Titanium installed, and no matter what i have in either, it gives me back a medium error, and it does that for everything i have, no matter what the manufacturer. I just noticed that iTunes no longewr has the burn function, so i can't test that. But i have plugged the external into my PwoerMac and my PCs, and it works fine through them, but not my stupid laptop.

I have noticed one things when i insert a disc into either drive, and a Finder window comes up asking what i would like to do with the disc. I generally press ignore and it leaves it in there. When i select open in Finder, it say insufficient priveleges and spits it back out. Is pressing ignore the cause of this, or something hardware related?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

It could be anywhere from hardware failure (burners) to software issues. If you have some tools (fine screw drivers), you can take apart the base of the computer, and temporarily unplug the SuperDrive data/power cable (power cable is usually enough). And see if this problem still occurs. ifixit.com has guides on this. Screw drivers can be obtained from local stores, depending on where you live.

AND, you can try your external burner with another computer (not necessarily Mac), to see if the external burner is also having problems.

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
If internal and external both have the same problem I would hazard a guess at a software problem.

Just wondering if something has gone a bit haywire with the permissions with that insufficient privilege message. Have you been into the disc utility and asked it to fix permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.