Create installation disc (DVD) for new laptop. Windows 8

mroldboy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
So I just got a new laptop and the first thing I want to do is create a disk that will allow me to completely reinstall windows whenever I need.

Is what I need a recovery disk?

Or is there a way to create a DVD that provides the same functionality that the install DVDs that used to come with new PCs used to have.

Put disc in, boot from disc, perform custom windows 8 install. That is what I want to be able to do. Or is it different now with windows 8?

The win8 does not like the win7 in backup the image, and also the compatible problem with other software.

You can use the other software to backup the image of your PC, try Paragon Software
http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/image-backup-windows-8/

Or you can find the other too.

mroldboy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Its an Acer.

I tried to make a recovery disk and it asks for 16gb of space if I want to copy the recovery drive and only around 250mb to make a recovery disk.

I know win8 has some features that are supposed to make it so you dont need to do a full install, but I would still want a way to install a fresh windows install on my own.

As far as I can tell mine did not come with any key for windows 8. I bought it from the Microsoft Store so I expected at least that. Maybe they put a sticker on some piece of paper somewhere in the box.

Is there a way to find out the key of the windows license on my laptop right now?

I think the OEM put a serial number in the BIOS for windows 8
I don't know if it is the same as the key but you could look.
run powershell
and type:
$i = get-wmiobject -class Win32_BIOS
$i
and it will dump the serial number. (or at least some serial number)

Microsoft's old win7 programs that would dump the info don't work on win8

mroldboy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
I just used a program to get my key. But when I try to use the windows 8 setup to download an iso it says its invalid.

So I got my key at least, but I would like to create a second installation of windows 8 on the laptop. I created a partition already. Is it possible to create a seconds win 8 install on the same machine?

I need to have two separate laptops one for work and one for personal use. I'd rather just have one laptop and have two separate installs. One with work programs and one with personal ones. Seems silly, but I'm sure people who have work machines know thats its nice to have a clean separate machine/install for work.

I wanted to install win 7 on that partition, but ran into a lot of issues.

Any help on that front installing a win 7 install on a win 8 machine?

bruce123abc

Honorable
May 30, 2013

Why don't you just make two users and customize the desktop shortcuts? Then you can use keep your programs and files separate but only have to deal with one copy of Windows.
-----
Also, Windows 8 doesn't seem to let you make recovery DVD's anymore. You can make a recovery set on a USB stick (16 GB), but not onto DVD's.

The one option is to make an image of your drive, but that's usually 11 DVD's (or more, if you already added your data to the drive.)

You may have to by a set of recovery CD's from the manufacturer, but I don't think it's fair to pay $45 for 4 DVD's that you could burn yourself for under $2!

cbay

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
I just went through this situation. Under "file recovery" you can make a system image and repair disc and use dvds. This is not the "factory" install; it is the condition of your system at the time you create the image.
In order to make the factory recovery media, you have to use a usb drive.
FWIW, my system was close enough to being factory fresh but was better because i had some useful programs installed and unwanted programs removed; so this was a good image for me to create as a recover media. Also, it only took me four dvds.
Don't forget to copy a repair disc. You will need it to start the system image recovery process. It will ask you if you want to create one at the end of the system image creation process.
Hope this helps
Regards,
Chris