Netbeui install

I am trying to make my printer be shared over the wireless network and have
tried just about everythin i can think of. I have now read articles that
state that perhaps i could use Netbeui to do this. I have been taken to a
site http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=84 (see below) but
because i'm not an expert i don't know how to import the Netbeui connections
as it states in this webpage. Could you let me know how to copy nbf etc etc
etc? Where do i find the directory?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

NetBEUI (NBF) is a non-routable protocol suitable for small networks.
Support for this protocol in Microsoft Windows has been discontinued.
It is not installed nor is it available by default under Windows XP.
However, the NETBEUI drivers are still included on the WinXP CDROM in the
VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI folder.

To install NETBEUI,

1.. Copy nbf.sys into the %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ directory

2.. Copy netnbf.inf into the %SYSTEMROOT%\INF\ directory

3.. Open Network Connection Properties under Control Panel
4.. Click the Install... button to add the NetBEUI protocol

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"John Wright" <john@vacforming.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to make my printer be shared over the wireless network and
have
> tried just about everythin i can think of. I have now read articles that
> state that perhaps i could use Netbeui to do this. I have been taken to a
> site http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=84 (see below) but
> because i'm not an expert i don't know how to import the Netbeui
connections
> as it states in this webpage. Could you let me know how to copy nbf etc
etc
> etc? Where do i find the directory?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> John
>

> NetBEUI (NBF) is a non-routable protocol suitable for small networks.
> Support for this protocol in Microsoft Windows has been discontinued.
> It is not installed nor is it available by default under Windows XP.
> However, the NETBEUI drivers are still included on the WinXP CDROM in the
> VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI folder.
>
> To install NETBEUI,
>

> 1.. Copy nbf.sys into the %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ directory
>
> 2.. Copy netnbf.inf into the %SYSTEMROOT%\INF\ directory
>
> 3.. Open Network Connection Properties under Control Panel
> 4.. Click the Install... button to add the NetBEUI protocol

can't really see where the problem is.
The description clearly states where to get it from, where to copy it to and
how to initiate it's installation.
The only thing I can think of is the fact that 'you, not being an expert'
are looking high and low for the INF folder which by default does not show,
because it is a hidden folder. Go into explorer, tools, folder options, view
and select 'Show hidden files and folders'.

hth

george

TRENDING THREADS