Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Saitek X52

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 1, 2005 12:06:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I took the plunge and bought the X52, largely because I had a large quantity
of PCWorld vouchers (thanks to heavy spending on my Goldfish Mastercard!)
which made it seem very attractive indeed!

A few niggles (the joystick is lacking in resistance and could do with
stronger return springs IMHO), but by and large, I am impressed...

However, I am having one or two problems setting it up in FS9 and am hoping
someone reading this has the answers!

I am trying to set up the rotary controls on the throttle to control mixture
and propellor RPM, but although FS9 recognises that I am trying to use these
axes, in pratice only "Rotary 1" seems to do anything in the sim (i.e. the
controls don't move except for the one assigned to Rotary 1). All the axes
are working correctly in "Control Panel", so it is something within FS9 that
is the problem. The same is true of the slider; it works fine in Control
Panel, and is recognised as an axis when assigning it within FS9, but it
doesn't actually seem to operate the desired control. Also, I don't see any
way of increasing the range of travel of the axis controls, so I am only
getting a limited range on the controls within FS9. i.e. for full travel of
"Rotary 1", I only get 2/3 travel of the mixture control in FS9.

There don't appear to be any new drivers for this stick, so there's no
question of updating them.

Thoughts anyone?

Tim

More about : saitek x52

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 12:34:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:06:27 GMT, "Tim" <void@invalidemail.com>
postulated :

> A few niggles (the joystick is lacking in resistance and could do with
> stronger return springs IMHO), but by and large, I am impressed...

My unit has too much spring tension. Almost tiring to use for extended
time periods. Care to swap springs ? :) 

>However, I am having one or two problems setting it up in FS9 and am hoping
>someone reading this has the answers!

Sorry, no answers but my problems are identical. ( I wanted to use the
rotaries for control surface trim. )

I'll watch this one to see if someone comes up with some solution.....
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:26:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

As far as the rotaries and slider go check the sensitivity settings after
you assign the control . IFRC they are defaulted to 0,had the same problems
with X-45 and that fixed it.

HTH
Wayne
Related resources
May 1, 2005 4:35:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
news:7zRce.5315$Cq2.2592@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>I took the plunge and bought the X52, largely because I had a large
>quantity of PCWorld vouchers (thanks to heavy spending on my Goldfish
>Mastercard!) which made it seem very attractive indeed!
I am only
> getting a limited range on the controls within FS9. i.e. for full travel
> of "Rotary 1", I only get 2/3 travel of the mixture control in FS9.
>

I beleive it's something to do with the deadzones. Try setting the
deadzones. Once applied, the Joystick remembers the deazones and calibrates
itself accordingly.

MC
May 1, 2005 3:17:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Wayne wrote:
> As far as the rotaries and slider go check the sensitivity settings
> after you assign the control . IFRC they are defaulted to 0,had the
> same problems with X-45 and that fixed it.
>
> HTH
> Wayne

Bingo!

As you say, for some reason the sensitivity settings in FS9 were at zero.
Problem partly solved...

....I still need to work out how to get the full range of prop and mixture
adjustment. I've also posted on the Saitek support forum, but no response as
yet.

Also, I find that I have to "enable joystick" every time I start FS9 now;
any work arounds?

Thanks,

Tim
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:13:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Had a Play with my X52 this Morning, I went to options control
assignments,joystick axis
select mixture axis and then move the slider or dial you wish to use and it
should recognise it, tick reverse box.
Then go to control sensitivities,mixture axis sensitivity. I had selected
full and hull zone about 3 bars


"Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
news:BV2de.7685$qK3.1195@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Wayne wrote:
> > As far as the rotaries and slider go check the sensitivity settings
> > after you assign the control . IFRC they are defaulted to 0,had the
> > same problems with X-45 and that fixed it.
> >
> > HTH
> > Wayne
>
> Bingo!
>
> As you say, for some reason the sensitivity settings in FS9 were at zero.
> Problem partly solved...
>
> ...I still need to work out how to get the full range of prop and mixture
> adjustment. I've also posted on the Saitek support forum, but no response
as
> yet.
>
> Also, I find that I have to "enable joystick" every time I start FS9 now;
> any work arounds?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim
>
>
May 2, 2005 3:23:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

XBC wrote:
> Had a Play with my X52 this Morning, I went to options control
> assignments,joystick axis
> select mixture axis and then move the slider or dial you wish to use
> and it should recognise it, tick reverse box.
> Then go to control sensitivities,mixture axis sensitivity. I had
> selected full and hull zone about 3 bars
>

Excellent - job sorted!

Thanks very much. I never thought that sensitivity would actually increase
the range of travel, but it seems to and that's the main thing!

Thanks again,

Tim
!