HP 6315? Any owners?

September 22, 2004 7:42:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Does anyone have or used a HP 6315 with phone option? Can you give me any
good sites to check out or a review on what you think. I really like my HP
5550 but would like the phone capability, without adding a CF card. Also
does anyone know if my CF expansion pack and case will fit this new model?

More about : 6315 owners

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 22, 2004 7:42:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Keep the 5550 and wait for rev 2 of this POS! No, the CF expansion pack will
not work with the 6315 and there are no expansion packs available.

The phone part is horrible and based on all of the problems posted in
message boards, this thing shouldn't have been released!

pdaphonehome.com and howardforums.com both have good discussion right now on
this device.

"HotRod" wrote:

> Does anyone have or used a HP 6315 with phone option? Can you give me any
> good sites to check out or a review on what you think. I really like my HP
> 5550 but would like the phone capability, without adding a CF card. Also
> does anyone know if my CF expansion pack and case will fit this new model?

September 22, 2004 9:21:17 PM

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:42:29 -0400, "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone have or used a HP 6315 with phone option? Can you give me any
>good sites to check out or a review on what you think. I really like my HP
>5550 but would like the phone capability, without adding a CF card. Also
>does anyone know if my CF expansion pack and case will fit this new model?

I'd suggest you go through this group back to 8/26. It will give you a
pretty good snapshot into what people, myself included, have
experienced with this model. Then, you can weight the relative merits
of upgrading. It's reputation is mixed at best.

I'm happy with the unit overall, but hoping for a BIOS update soon.

A_C
a b α HP
September 23, 2004 12:38:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Quit using the democratic spin on the h6315 Gary ;)  Its not perfect by any
stretch but its sure not as bad as youre making it out. I know, Ive had 3,
but each seems to have similar issues which means a ROM update may solve
some of these issues. The phone hasnt had any issues for me. I get better
reception than the phone it replaced.

I had a H5550 (and a 5450 so I know about premature releases) and the 6315
isnt very different from the end user standpoint except you get a phone.
Very similar performance. Yea yea I know one is an Intel xscale 400Mhz the
other is an Omap1510 running at 168MHz. Throw all that away as meaningless
spin. If you want a single purpose device with long battery life and then
plan for the occasional problem by backing up your data the h6315 is a
decent device not a POS.

Mitch

"Gary Hart" <GaryHart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Keep the 5550 and wait for rev 2 of this POS! No, the CF expansion pack
> will
> not work with the 6315 and there are no expansion packs available.
>
> The phone part is horrible and based on all of the problems posted in
> message boards, this thing shouldn't have been released!
>
> pdaphonehome.com and howardforums.com both have good discussion right now
> on
> this device.

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 23, 2004 12:38:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Don't get me wrong...if and when a firmware update is available, I am sure
things will get better but for the time being......

My 555x could run SBP and Microsoft Voice at the same time without
incident..This unit BARELY can run both not to mention the 3-7 reboots per
day.

I evaluate productslike this based on:

1) Can you use it for its main purpose (making calls) without incident?
Answer: No. The echo, bluetooth headset and regular headset issues alone
will drive anyone crazy.

2) Do you have to soft reset it at least twice everyday?
Answer: It does it itself.

3) It is functional night and day?
Answer: No. The fact that the keyboard does not have backlight makes it
frustrating to use in low-no light. I have a 3rd party keyboard being sent to
me that will have backlight so I might change my answer on this one.

My last test is my travels. I now carry my 6315 and Treo on my travels. In
airport clubs and on the plane I let others tell me what they think of both.
The only good thing I have been told about the 6315 is that they like the
fact it is more like their desktop otherwise the form factor and
functionality of the Treo beats it.

I am rooting for the HP but I am also horrified that this thing didn't get
more testing...period...

"Mitch_A" wrote:

> Quit using the democratic spin on the h6315 Gary ;)  Its not perfect by any
> stretch but its sure not as bad as youre making it out. I know, Ive had 3,
> but each seems to have similar issues which means a ROM update may solve
> some of these issues. The phone hasnt had any issues for me. I get better
> reception than the phone it replaced.
>
> I had a H5550 (and a 5450 so I know about premature releases) and the 6315
> isnt very different from the end user standpoint except you get a phone.
> Very similar performance. Yea yea I know one is an Intel xscale 400Mhz the
> other is an Omap1510 running at 168MHz. Throw all that away as meaningless
> spin. If you want a single purpose device with long battery life and then
> plan for the occasional problem by backing up your data the h6315 is a
> decent device not a POS.
>
> Mitch
>

> "Gary Hart" <GaryHart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Keep the 5550 and wait for rev 2 of this POS! No, the CF expansion pack
> > will
> > not work with the 6315 and there are no expansion packs available.
> >
> > The phone part is horrible and based on all of the problems posted in
> > message boards, this thing shouldn't have been released!
> >
> > pdaphonehome.com and howardforums.com both have good discussion right now
> > on
> > this device.

September 23, 2004 5:44:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Do you think my current 5550 with a CF "mobile" card would be better then
the new 6315? I'm concerned because I currently have a CF expansion pack and
extra battery that I'd prefer to keep, but if the quality of the CF mobile
card is to low I'd be willing to upgrade to the 6315.
October 3, 2004 1:52:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

I agree with Gary. This device is not perfect but it is much than anything
out there that is a convergant device. I used the first generation PPC from
T-Mobile for over a year and this device is much better. I would say get
the 6315.

Terry

"Gary Hart" <GaryHart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Keep the 5550 and wait for rev 2 of this POS! No, the CF expansion pack
will
> not work with the 6315 and there are no expansion packs available.
>
> The phone part is horrible and based on all of the problems posted in
> message boards, this thing shouldn't have been released!
>
> pdaphonehome.com and howardforums.com both have good discussion right now
on
> this device.
>
> "HotRod" wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have or used a HP 6315 with phone option? Can you give me
any
> > good sites to check out or a review on what you think. I really like my
HP
> > 5550 but would like the phone capability, without adding a CF card. Also
> > does anyone know if my CF expansion pack and case will fit this new
model?

Anonymous
a b α HP
October 5, 2004 8:53:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

How about fringe area reception? I have the XDA T-Mobile phone, and live in
a fringe reception area, and the XDA is pretty worthless in my house, while
my daughter's much cheaper phone works well most places in the house.

"Terry" <tntgeb@cablelynx.com> wrote in message
> I agree with Gary. This device is not perfect but it is much than
anything
> out there that is a convergant device. I used the first generation PPC
from
> T-Mobile for over a year and this device is much better. I would say get
> the 6315.
>
> Terry
>
> "Gary Hart" <GaryHart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Keep the 5550 and wait for rev 2 of this POS! No, the CF expansion pack
> will
> > not work with the 6315 and there are no expansion packs available.
> >
> > The phone part is horrible and based on all of the problems posted in
> > message boards, this thing shouldn't have been released!
> >
> > pdaphonehome.com and howardforums.com both have good discussion right
now
> on
> > this device.
> >
> > "HotRod" wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have or used a HP 6315 with phone option? Can you give me
> any
> > > good sites to check out or a review on what you think. I really like
my
> HP
> > > 5550 but would like the phone capability, without adding a CF card.
Also
> > > does anyone know if my CF expansion pack and case will fit this new
> model?

Anonymous
a b α HP
October 10, 2004 11:12:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

JUST CURIOUS Gary, did you have a problem with the phone that wasn't
resolved due to customer service issues or something like that ?? Reason I
ask is that you are bad mouthing the HP 6315 so much, seems like more of an
issue with the company .. Thing is .. I am trying to decide whether to buy
or not, and when I read your posts it sounds like the PDA from hell, but
others say they like it.

I know that I have had issues with Sony tech support, and promised to BLAST
THEM at every opportunity .. if that is what you are doing .. please email
me off this list and let me know .. thanks. diane

trashling at hotmail dot com
"Gary Hart" <GaryHart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Keep the 5550 and wait for rev 2 of this POS! No, the CF expansion pack
will
> not work with the 6315 and there are no expansion packs available.
>
> The phone part is horrible and based on all of the problems posted in
> message boards, this thing shouldn't have been released!
>
> pdaphonehome.com and howardforums.com both have good discussion right now
on
> this device.
>
> "HotRod" wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have or used a HP 6315 with phone option? Can you give me
any
> > good sites to check out or a review on what you think. I really like my
HP
> > 5550 but would like the phone capability, without adding a CF card. Also
> > does anyone know if my CF expansion pack and case will fit this new
model?

-----------------
-----------------
October 11, 2004 8:05:32 PM

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:35:51 -0500, Peru Tha Damaja
<pjn2test@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>waiting for a bus I tuned in to a streaming audio webcast from a local
>station that was carrying the Presidential debates and was able to listen
>to about the last 45 minutes of the stream without dropping the signal

Pardon me for asking, but how did you do this? What kind of streaming
is it that the radio station uses? Are you using the Internet explorer
that comes with the 6315? I'm trying to stream audio from KFI in LA,
<www.kfi640.com&gt; but the liquid audio program just seems to hang. Any
help you can provide would be very helpful indeed. Thank you.

Shark
October 12, 2004 12:39:42 AM

I stream music from http://shoutcast.com/ with no problem using the free
TodayPlayer (http://www.todayplayer.com/) on my iPAQ 4355.

"Shark" <not@deepblueocean.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:35:51 -0500, Peru Tha Damaja
> <pjn2test@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>waiting for a bus I tuned in to a streaming audio webcast from a local
>>station that was carrying the Presidential debates and was able to listen
>>to about the last 45 minutes of the stream without dropping the signal
>
> Pardon me for asking, but how did you do this? What kind of streaming
> is it that the radio station uses? Are you using the Internet explorer
> that comes with the 6315? I'm trying to stream audio from KFI in LA,
> <www.kfi640.com&gt; but the liquid audio program just seems to hang. Any
> help you can provide would be very helpful indeed. Thank you.
>
> Shark
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 13, 2004 2:46:29 AM

"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message news:<10l62sd6coi4off@corp.supernews.com>...
> Do you think my current 5550 with a CF "mobile" card would be better then
> the new 6315? I'm concerned because I currently have a CF expansion pack and
> extra battery that I'd prefer to keep, but if the quality of the CF mobile
> card is to low I'd be willing to upgrade to the 6315.

I have a friend that works for T-Mobile who got me the phone and a
Motorola bluetooth headset for $200. Who could turn that down?!
Anyway, I owned a 3955 for a couple of years and was used to soft
resets and such. I figured that this was expected with the h6315 and
it is. However, I've used it for hour long conference calls with my
bluetooth headset and have never been disconnected. And if you are
worried about your extra battery with your CF sleeve on your 5550,
don't. One thing that is sure about the h6315 is that the thing will
last you all day. I'm a technical consultant who lives on my cell
phone and have never run below 20% on my battery and I usually only
charge over night.

If you buy it, you must purchase a bluetooth headset. I use the
motorolla hs810 and it works well whith just a few bugs. If you turn
off the headset while the ipaq is powered down you can expect to
manually restablish the connection. The easiest thing to do is to
just perform a soft reset. I have found that if I make sure to kill
the bluetooth connection while the phone is still powered on, I don't
have issues with the headset connections. The only issue is people
staring at you in the airport. 8-)

I have missed calls due to the ipaq freezing up so if you depend on it
because you are on call or something like that then you will want to
get yourself a pager. Also, the processor is slow but compared to my
3955 with the 400 Mhz processor, it DEFINATELY pays off in battery
life. I am able to run SPB Plus without issue. The specs say you
should get 7 hours of continous use with everything turned on. I
would say that I could get 5 but I've never used it for 7 hours
straight so I really can't say.

I get email from my corporate VPN, hotmail and Yahoo accounts without
problems. The GPRS network is just really slow.

Would I pay $500 for it after having owned one for a couple of months?
HECK YEAH!!! This comes with an understanding that it is a PC running
a Microsoft OS. But, you should be used to it by now.

Hope this helps
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 24, 2004 10:26:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Interesting info, I have my HP6315 now for almost 2 weeks and very happy
with it performance (no heavy user here) but what I am having a problem is
setting up my HS810 with MS Voice Command.......

Anyone with simple steps to set it up will be greatly appreciated

"EvilGus" <thedaviesfam1@msn.com> wrote in message
> "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
>> Do you think my current 5550 with a CF "mobile" card would be better then
>> the new 6315? I'm concerned because I currently have a CF expansion pack
>> and
>> extra battery that I'd prefer to keep, but if the quality of the CF
>> mobile
>> card is to low I'd be willing to upgrade to the 6315.
>
> I have a friend that works for T-Mobile who got me the phone and a
> Motorola bluetooth headset for $200. Who could turn that down?!
> Anyway, I owned a 3955 for a couple of years and was used to soft
> resets and such. I figured that this was expected with the h6315 and
> it is. However, I've used it for hour long conference calls with my
> bluetooth headset and have never been disconnected. And if you are
> worried about your extra battery with your CF sleeve on your 5550,
> don't. One thing that is sure about the h6315 is that the thing will
> last you all day. I'm a technical consultant who lives on my cell
> phone and have never run below 20% on my battery and I usually only
> charge over night.
>
> If you buy it, you must purchase a bluetooth headset. I use the
> motorolla hs810 and it works well whith just a few bugs. If you turn
> off the headset while the ipaq is powered down you can expect to
> manually restablish the connection. The easiest thing to do is to
> just perform a soft reset. I have found that if I make sure to kill
> the bluetooth connection while the phone is still powered on, I don't
> have issues with the headset connections. The only issue is people
> staring at you in the airport. 8-)
>
> I have missed calls due to the ipaq freezing up so if you depend on it
> because you are on call or something like that then you will want to
> get yourself a pager. Also, the processor is slow but compared to my
> 3955 with the 400 Mhz processor, it DEFINATELY pays off in battery
> life. I am able to run SPB Plus without issue. The specs say you
> should get 7 hours of continous use with everything turned on. I
> would say that I could get 5 but I've never used it for 7 hours
> straight so I really can't say.
>
> I get email from my corporate VPN, hotmail and Yahoo accounts without
> problems. The GPRS network is just really slow.
>
> Would I pay $500 for it after having owned one for a couple of months?
> HECK YEAH!!! This comes with an understanding that it is a PC running
> a Microsoft OS. But, you should be used to it by now.
>
> Hope this helps
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 4, 2004 1:17:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

I've had mine for a week now and never had to perform a soft reset. However
on two times it took several attempts to connect to my wifi LAN at home.
Otherwise it has been a good device.
<deperu@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Interesting info, I have my HP6315 now for almost 2 weeks and very happy
> with it performance (no heavy user here) but what I am having a problem is
> setting up my HS810 with MS Voice Command.......
>
> Anyone with simple steps to set it up will be greatly appreciated
>
> "EvilGus" <thedaviesfam1@msn.com> wrote in message
> > "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
> >> Do you think my current 5550 with a CF "mobile" card would be better
then
> >> the new 6315? I'm concerned because I currently have a CF expansion
pack
> >> and
> >> extra battery that I'd prefer to keep, but if the quality of the CF
> >> mobile
> >> card is to low I'd be willing to upgrade to the 6315.
> >
> > I have a friend that works for T-Mobile who got me the phone and a
> > Motorola bluetooth headset for $200. Who could turn that down?!
> > Anyway, I owned a 3955 for a couple of years and was used to soft
> > resets and such. I figured that this was expected with the h6315 and
> > it is. However, I've used it for hour long conference calls with my
> > bluetooth headset and have never been disconnected. And if you are
> > worried about your extra battery with your CF sleeve on your 5550,
> > don't. One thing that is sure about the h6315 is that the thing will
> > last you all day. I'm a technical consultant who lives on my cell
> > phone and have never run below 20% on my battery and I usually only
> > charge over night.
> >
> > If you buy it, you must purchase a bluetooth headset. I use the
> > motorolla hs810 and it works well whith just a few bugs. If you turn
> > off the headset while the ipaq is powered down you can expect to
> > manually restablish the connection. The easiest thing to do is to
> > just perform a soft reset. I have found that if I make sure to kill
> > the bluetooth connection while the phone is still powered on, I don't
> > have issues with the headset connections. The only issue is people
> > staring at you in the airport. 8-)
> >
> > I have missed calls due to the ipaq freezing up so if you depend on it
> > because you are on call or something like that then you will want to
> > get yourself a pager. Also, the processor is slow but compared to my
> > 3955 with the 400 Mhz processor, it DEFINATELY pays off in battery
> > life. I am able to run SPB Plus without issue. The specs say you
> > should get 7 hours of continous use with everything turned on. I
> > would say that I could get 5 but I've never used it for 7 hours
> > straight so I really can't say.
> >
> > I get email from my corporate VPN, hotmail and Yahoo accounts without
> > problems. The GPRS network is just really slow.
> >
> > Would I pay $500 for it after having owned one for a couple of months?
> > HECK YEAH!!! This comes with an understanding that it is a PC running
> > a Microsoft OS. But, you should be used to it by now.
> >
> > Hope this helps

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 3, 2005 3:08:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc, microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition, microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

I would strongly disagree with your statement that the 6315 is better
than the first generation PPC phones from TMobile.

I upgraded mine to WM 2003 and really loved it before I broke it and
got stuck buying a 6315. I am considering trying to find one on Ebay
or something. I have so many problems with the 6315 it is depressing.
!