AMD>Intel not for long.

Godiva

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004
As much as i love AMD, i have to say that Intel is catching up. It is no surprise considering AMD has been in the lead for so long...but AMD is doing an excellent job keeping up with Intel's 65nm CPU's while still using 90nm.

josh_1413

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
It took Intel 2-3 years to catch up, thats sad. I still doubt Intel will even beat AMD in performance, and performance/value. We'll find out in time.

RowdyRob

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Cant really say anything untill we see how there AM2 works out. But i think AMD is going to gain more of a lead in gaming from it though. They need to work on there Athlon 64's for mainstream users. As i do love AMD cant deny the fact that pentium 4's are just better at encoding.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
you wanna know my unbiased opinion? well here it goes i think that intel will have the lead over am2 when conroe comes out but i think amd will catch up shortly there after and it should be an even war for a few years until one side makes an innovation that the other cannot match

unreal111

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
i think i have to agree with dvdpiddy, something tells me intel is gonna be a leader for a while (maybe for few months) than amd will catch up.

this competition reminds of good old days back in 2000, you guys remember the 1ghz war.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
ya i remember thats when i first thought about getting into comps but didnt for 2 years till i saw a trade show man it was awesome p3's at 1.5 ghz oced a p4 at 1.8 and last but not least the athlon xp :D

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
There are some problems here.
Well, we currently don't know how DDR2 will affect performance. Higher bandwich at the cost of latency. I knew AMD prefers low latencies on it will be problematic.
Secondly we don't know much about Intel's champion. The 20% over AMD might be true though it also may be a way to advertise their product.
As it's now,we are sure that Conroe will be at least equal to AMD clock per clock wise, in fact i think it will be better because as comparison it was used a Core Duo CPU that is meant for laptop and has restriction.

As it stands now,i think Intel will have the edge 'till the second half of 2007 . At first they'll release these Conroe beasts then the Conroe XE at 3.3GHZ(and probably one clocked at 2.9-3). After that they'll release the first chip to enhance 45 mn technology. By the time Intel does that AMD has just implemented 65 mn techno in their chips so Intel will at least have a performance per watt lead.
Now,if Intel goofs around after succes,they'll end up being beaten by AMD at the end of 2007.

If Intel doesn't waste time and remains active AMD will have a tough job probably even too much for them to handle.

endyen

Splendid
Oh, by the way, Jonah has a 12 stage pipeline, conroe has 14.
If we set up 14 stages in a row, you may be able to run through all of them faster than you can run through the first 12, but I doubt it.

Smiley

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
Well, after reading the The 65 nm Pentium D 900's Coming Out Party article, I think Intel will take some time to utilize the full benefits of the 65 nm process. Sure they are already working on 45 nm also. I am still waiting for Intel to come out with something truly better than AMD. :)

I do hope AMD continues to bring out good alternatives to Intel's offerings so consumers win. :)

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Yep there are some sites where you can see these killers.
One stick was made to run at 1.5-2-2-5 , 200 mhz. Not bad really since my crappy memory has CL 2.5!

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
How low? Just curious. I know theres also CAS 1.5 but Ive only seen normal timings with that CAS (1.5-2-2-5).
cas 1.5 is only on ddr ram if it was on ddr 2 oh man imagine the performance holy crap 8O btw ycon i think i have met you before do you live in new york area?