Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Directx
  • PCI Express
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 19, 2006 2:34:11 AM

Hi,

Does anyone knows of a video card that will fit into a PCI-E X8 slot NOT X16 that supports DirectX 9.

I need to run a graphic application (Geovision DVR) on an Asus P5MT-M server motherboard that only has PCI-E X8 and X4 slots.

I will be very grateful as multiple searches on Google and resellers as Newegg have been failures.

Renen

More about : video card pci slot directx support

February 19, 2006 1:50:21 PM

Prozac26,

Thanks for your answer, but unfortunately a 16X card will not fit into the slot, since the socket in the motherboard is shorter than a 16x. Only a board with a physical interface of 8X, 4x or 1x card will fit in the socket.

I found that Matrox builds a dual monitor card with a 1X physical interface, but I does not have the GPU power to run the application that I Need.

Help Please.

Rene
February 19, 2006 2:25:45 PM

No, Prozac26,

I need a Graphics card with a connector having a physical size of PCI-E 8X, not a plain PCI card.

Rene
Related resources
February 19, 2006 10:49:48 PM

TechnicalMonkey,

Unfortunately according to the spec at another website, that card is also a pci-e 16X (physical) slot that the maximum speed is 8x.

More help please!

Rene
February 20, 2006 11:18:00 AM

Pauldh,

That will do it, I will ordering one today. The video card will be higher that the rest, but i will be able to use a much better GPU than the Rage XL built into the motherboard.

Thank all for your help.

Rene
April 28, 2007 1:10:00 AM

The PEXP16-SX-16/8 can be purchased here
November 5, 2008 10:41:45 AM

I am very happy to have found this arguably old thread. I have a 16x to 1x converter that I've been unwilling to utilize (more on par with a RAID card than High Performance Graphics [This logic is sound to the monkeys in my brain, YMMV]). Orbit Micro should thank you in some fashion. :) 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2009 1:29:55 PM

PNY QUADRO NVS 290 PCI-E X1 256MB

this one should be good.
August 1, 2011 7:23:49 PM

Renen said:
Prozac26,

Thanks for your answer, but unfortunately a 16X card will not fit into the slot, since the socket in the motherboard is shorter than a 16x. Only a board with a physical interface of 8X, 4x or 1x card will fit in the socket.

I found that Matrox builds a dual monitor card with a 1X physical interface, but I does not have the GPU power to run the application that I Need.

Help Please.

Rene

any x16 card will work in an 8x slot IF you have an adapter, i have a GTX 460 overclocked to 900MHz on a board that has a x16 slot but it is only running at x8 speeds and it runs as fast as on my other board that has full x16 speeds

here is an adapter that might work, and i personally have not tried adapters like this but I am almost positive that you wont be able to get it to fit correctly in the case, that wouldn't be a problem if you modified the case or left it open, and remember sence you are extending the width of the card you will also be adding more torque to the x8 slot so if you do use that adapter i would reccomend either laying it on its side so that the card is streight up and down or securing it somehow to the back of the case
October 19, 2011 9:50:58 PM

Denver folder said:
any x16 card will work in an 8x slot IF you have an adapter, i have a GTX 460 overclocked to 900MHz on a board that has a x16 slot but it is only running at x8 speeds and it runs as fast as on my other board that has full x16 speeds

here is an adapter that might work, and i personally have not tried adapters like this but I am almost positive that you wont be able to get it to fit correctly in the case, that wouldn't be a problem if you modified the case or left it open, and remember sence you are extending the width of the card you will also be adding more torque to the x8 slot so if you do use that adapter i would reccomend either laying it on its side so that the card is streight up and down or securing it somehow to the back of the case

I've just purchased a Quadro 2000D for use on an Intel SE7520BD2 server board, using the 16x-to-8x riser board & I hope it works. I observed a GTX 470 (I think) running in 8x mode using my adapter, at a local retailer. I talked the entry-level tech into testing it out for me before I got too ambitious about choosing a graphics cards. I'm using this retired server as a video production station & ran into the same limitations as others who only have 4x/8x PCI-Express slots.

I chose the 2000D model (dual DVI out) over other models because it is single-slot, whereas the other choices take two & I cannot sacrifice the slot beneath the 8x. Also, because of the additional height, the chassis will run interference with the DisplayPort/HDMI ports on other models, 'covering' them up by the chassis. The dual-DVI should would perfectly & I've obtained a long course-thread screw with nylon spacer to secure the card. I'll be producing a video at some point on this whole adventure, successfully morphing an end-of-life server system into a viable video-editing/gaming machine.

This is unfortunately the '1st generation' DDR board & the other variations use DDR2. If the graphics board works out, I'm not 'dead ended' on this platform after all. Next steps will be to purchase the 'SE7520BD2SATA2' board with DDR2 Registered ECC support & swap out these dual 2.8 Xeon's for two 3.8 Xeons. Board is no long supported, but upon buying a new one (they're still available), I'll have an Intel warranty on the board again.

This is rounded out with an Intel SRCS16 SATA RAID controller attached to six 250GB hard drives, my optical drive, PCI-X firewire card, Creative PCI-Express audio, etc. In the next incarnatino of this machine (contingent on the video functioning), a SATA mirror will be used off the mommy-board, using the RAID exclusively for storage. Currently, the one logical RAID volume is divided into two partitions, my System Volume (boot) & Storage Volume.

Advantages to using a server platform for such things is no onboard components like low-RAM graphics & software audio, etc & having the expansion slots & drive controllers to attach everything you need. Clean. And there are no el-cheapo fan blades spinning anywhere, the CPU's have massive copper heatsinks & the two chassis fans cover cooling for the CPU's & entire chassis through the internal shroud.

When the BIOS, backplane, FSU/BSU etc are all setup correctly with fans on the appropriate connectors, the fan speed is modulated well based on room temperature & load, still very tolerable for working with media. But for some, headphones may need to be secondary.

The instructional video will be on youtube channel 'PCeXample' in the near future...
October 19, 2011 9:56:04 PM

...forgot to mention that I'm currently 'stuck' with a Quadro NVS 290, the only solution (1x) I could find, initially. Until I came upon this novel little 8x/16x adapter.

One *must* account for the added dimensions & how they're going to secure the card without interference.
October 19, 2011 10:14:54 PM

Vista x86 OR x64 OS is problematic on the Intel SE7520BD2/SR5300BRP chassis platform; using every conceivable variation of drivers for the mainboard & drive elements, backplane, etc. Various unresolvable flags in Device Manager. Windows 7 has native drivers for those components which cannot otherwise be obtained in Vista. The native support for the mainboard chipset in combination with current drivers for graphics, audio works out well. Server 2003 x64 RAID driver must be used.
!
manufacturers