Android Reaches 500 Million Activations Worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
"500 million activations does beat out Apple's 410 million iDevice"

So Android beats not just the mobile phone but the pads and Apples MP3 player and TV device as well? Impressive stuff considering Apple had about a years head start on Google.

Reading stats like this also makes it obvious why Apple is keen to do whatever it takes to stop the momentum of Android, in Apples last earnings call the iPhone accounts for HALF of Apples profits. Staggering, I'm amazed that the iphone 5 costs more then a iPad 2.

samkl

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Sum of all handhelds = Android' 500M devices, Apple's 410M and Blackberry with WP7 is well over a billion devices today. What is striking is that it took PCs over 20 years to reach that mark, and only 4 years for smartphones and tablets.

Adoption velocity difference between PCs and handhelds is enormous, isn't it.
-SK

[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]I would like to see iPads vs. Android tablets. With all those Chinese tablets, Android might still win there too.[/citation]
Correct, with a minor rectification: they're ALL made in China (well, at least all iPads are, and a large amount of Android tablets), so start counting the iPad as a Chinese tablet, too. Some Android ones are made in Korea, Taiwan, and maybe a couple other countries.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Maybe someone should ask how many of these devices are currently active.[/citation]
Agreed. I would guess that most people are on their second or third smartphone by now. So what is the total number of iOS and Android devices currently in use? That would be a much more telling figure.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
This number only includes activation through the Play store. Any device maker that is not part of the OHA cannot put Gapps on their device, so that means no Play store. So the number of Android devices out there exceeds this.

Status
Not open for further replies.