Video card burned :(

Hoshimoto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
I (was till now) happy user of ATI 9800 XT - 256 MB, suddenly i got reboot when playing game yesterday, but it was new game so i dont pay attention. Another reboot today and i think its drivers conflict or something and did not pay attention again. Then later today little white dots when was wathing videod file, but i think its rather something wrong with video codec and windows media player and switched to VLC and it was fine, no dots at all. :)

Few hour later i started next video with same problem in both players, so it get me worried and i checked Overdrive tab, temperature was on 99*C (damn i guess it was even more, but drivers show only 2 digits).
I pluged power off and waited untill VPU calms down then started system, GPU cooler started to, but after few seconds its slow down so much i could read ATI label written on top of it, so i plugged off and replaced card with my old GF2 MX 400.

Hope my card will be alive when i start it next time, right now i looking for new cooler or cooling system (heatsink and cooler) any advice?

Heres pic of back label,
fan0aj.jpg

Hoshimoto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
Damnit i checked cooler with 12v molex connector and it was running about 3200 cfm :/

I think it was really really slow when i was lookin on it on top of my video card, i dont know now..., i remember it start spining fast but then slow down, when i was first looking @ it. It was very dusty when i removed it, could it be dust that make it spin slower and now after i mess with it for while it removed and works fine now?

Better i buy new cooling system anyway just in case, dont want it overheat again, who know how this may end up next time. The stock one was to hot ~63*C durring idle and ~75*C on full load.

Hoshimoto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
Not expensive at all, i payed 500 $ for this card can spend bout 50 on fine cooler, but this ones are to small i got huge heatsink right now that covers memory as well, i want to buy something liek that but more powerfull...

pauldh

Illustrious
Hey, it was clearly the best card money could buy at one time so plenty of people bought them at top dollar just like you did. I would have bought a 9800XT over a 9800 pro 256MB card. Best bang would have been a 9800 pro 128MB which almost always matches the 256MB version and costed way less. Maybe you paid more than you had to for it, but knowbody could fault your choice at that time.

linux_0

Splendid

Hoshimoto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
Well and Silencer cost cheaper than Zalman, anyway i can afford 25$ for new cooler when i gona upgrade card, which wont be so soon. Anyway my next cooling will be water cooling.
P.S. And I ordered Zalman VF700-Cu cuz it seems to cool best out of this three :)

Hoshimoto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
Damn idle 59*C and less than 65*C on full load times, with stock HSF i had bout 70C idle and 80C on load times. Thats great cooler and ultra quiet, think if u set more powerfull fan on temps it will go even lower.
Though i moved my audio card 3 pci slots lower and removed few pci slots covers to get more air in, and fan running @ 12v (still to quiet comparing hdd's and my cpu fan at 48-50 DB).
Guess next i'll buy zalman CPU fan!

Scratch

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005
hey, im thinking about buying that zalman cooler or the new Accelero X1, but will my lifetime guarantee be still valid if i change from stock cooler?

bfg 6800 GS AGP.

Hoshimoto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
hey, im thinking about buying that zalman cooler or the new Accelero X1, but will my lifetime guarantee be still valid if i change from stock cooler?

bfg 6800 GS AGP.
Dunno, guess u have to ask them, but probably yes it will end, anyway any lifetime ends after some time when they stop manufacture product.