HDD beter placed vertical??

DarkMarc

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Hi all, I'v noticed that in my friends Dell computer, the hard drive (which I might add is a crappy Maxtor one) is not lying flat but is placed vertically (or standing up). I remember reading in some computer magazing that CD's spin better when on their side (which is why PS2 can be placed vertically), so I was wondering if this is also the case for hard drives?
There isn't much information about this anywhere on the internet (that I could find) so does anyone know from experience: do hard drives operate better, or last longer, when placed vertically?

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I would tend to believe that its better to have it horizontal.
1 - airflow over the disk is better - more so since the front fan can blow over it.
2 - I'd believe that spinning things would probably spin better and need less motor action to spin the drive when its horizontal. Same for CD/DVDs
3 - I also believe that it really doesn't matter since a hard drive can take a big beating when its off so I don't think it would matter horizontal or vertical.

I've seen Dell put the HDDs vertical and horizontal. I think they just did it in the past so that it would benefit more from a passive airflow in the front vs an active fan blowing?

DScott79

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2002
The orientation of the drive should have little effect on the drives operation. The only thing I can offer is that having the drive vertical would put a little extra strain on the drive head having to work against gravity but again the effect would be negligible.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I posed that question to a representative from each of the major hard drive makers ten years ago. Their unanimous answer was: IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE!

There was one BUT, however, that they all strongly recommended. Before formatting the drive to start using it, place it in the orientation it will be.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Shouldn't make any differnce with hard drives.

I kept 5 vertically in cage for 4 years and all still test 100%. I do have two quiet 80 mm case fans blowing directly through the case, without that heat probably would have diminished their life span.

Snale

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I dont think it could have any impact on performance at all but, if the HDD reading head has to move vertically, it has to push it's own mass plus the vertical gravity force on it. When it's horizontal you dont have this problem.

Anyway I've seen quite a few cases that put HDD racks vertically, so im sure theres no problem.

sturm

Splendid
Mass of the nead is not a factor at all. Have you ever opened a hard drive and taken it apart. The magnets in them are strong as hell. The pivot arm that the read/write head is on is very light also.

DarkMarc

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
bu when it's horizontal you have the outer parts of the platter applying a larger torque to the disk and overall the middle part has to apply a greater upward force to keep the system in equalibrium.
When placed verticaly there is no torque at all applied anywhere on the platter and there is only one area of friction between the platter and the thing in the joint in the middle. Thats just what it seems to me but i'm no expert. Does anyone actually follow what I am saying?

sturm

Splendid
The weight of the platters isnt a factor. They are very light compared to the hub/motor assembly. The force of gravity on the outer edge wont effect it at all.
I have 2 drives that are pushing 10 years + that have been running horizontal their whole life. Still work like a charm.

mpjesse

Splendid
I'm no expert either, but something that small spinning at 7200rpm creates it's own gravitational field, does it not? If so, the gravity pulling down vertically wouldn't affect the platters much. (i think)

LOL, this could be a whole 'nother thread.

-mpjesse

rsmart

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I think that the horizontal/vertical issue is some sort of "conventional wisdom" hangover from way back when HDD used stepper motors to position the heads and not servo motors like today.

I'm going back a bit now, and all the whiskey may be taking it's toll. IIRC, in the days before IDE drives (ST506 and RLL were The standards then) and drive capacities were measures in 10's of Mbytes, drives could be placed in 3 of the 6 possible orientations - horizontal, silver side up, not upside down, on either long edge and never with the cable on top or bottom. Well that's what I was told at the time, we're talking mid '80s here.

The reasoning behind the format-it-in-it's-intended-orientation supposedly meant that the heads maintained better alignment despite gravity and any positioning variance due to the stepper motors.

Servo motors would more precisely and repeatibly align the heads and overcome any gravity influence. They were only used when IDE drives came out and could be used in any orientation.

Of course all this information is subject to the ravages of time, whiskey, Altzheimers Lite (just generally forgetful) and that who-ever told me this was probably smoking his socks.

rsmart

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I think that the horizontal/vertical issue is some sort of "conventional wisdom" hangover from way back when HDD used stepper motors to position the heads and not servo motors like today.

I'm going back a bit now, and all the whiskey may be taking it's toll. IIRC, in the days before IDE drives (ST506 and RLL were The standards then) and drive capacities were measures in 10's of Mbytes, drives could be placed in 3 of the 6 possible orientations - horizontal, silver side up, not upside down, on either long edge and never with the cable on top or bottom. Well that's what I was told at the time, we're talking mid '80s here.

The reasoning behind the format-it-in-it's-intended-orientation supposedly meant that the heads maintained better alignment despite gravity and any positioning variance due to the stepper motors.

Servo motors would more precisely and repeatibly align the heads and overcome any gravity influence. They were only used when IDE drives came out and could be used in any orientation.

Of course all this information is subject to the ravages of time, whiskey, Altzheimers Lite (just generally forgetful) and that who-ever told me this was probably smoking his socks.

DarkMarc

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
hmmm..i have no idea what you are talking about..but you seem to know aht you're talking about so i'l take your work for it. any mechanical engineers around here?