Help with cpu overheating!

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
A friend of mines computer is constantly overheating and i've repasted the cpu 3 times now and the final time with artic silver 5. The fan may be the problem it actually stopped running while windows was loaded and we didn't setup the bios for smart fan. The AMD 64 3200+ is using the stock fan and heatsink and I personally had used the computer for over a year with no problems until recently when it's been overheating. It gets around 140 degrees. I'm about to get a new heatsink and fan (a good kind) and see if that doesn't fix the problem. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Crucify

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
You probably have either a bad installed heatsink. That fan problem should really worry you. Are u using any sort of software fan control through Windows?
Either ways, it sounds to be like u've got a bad fan, change the whole damn thing. Get a Thermalright or a Zalman.

On a second note, have u overclocked/overvolted the cpu?

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
No not overclocking I don't do that. I've built 4 computers so I know what i'm doing. The computer is only a year old...so i'm going to guess it's probably the heatsink/fan...stock isn't too good in alot of ppls opinions this seems like the right course.

linux_0

Splendid
The fan is probably messed up and or the sensors on the motherboard may be toast...

Please replace the fan and or consider using a fan controller or wiring the new fan to run at full speed all the time.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Maybe the fan is dirty as hell or some of the heat pipes are broken (cant imagine how anyone could do that, but hey everything is possible).

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
]
Make sure the heat sink is properly installed. Temps should NEVER go above 45 unless you're OCing hard.
Still,even without heatsink, i never ever thought that a chip could reach such temperatures.
And whatever you do,do not let the computer run with the overheating probs. It won't last long.

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I have to agree with the others, sounds like you need to replace the fan and run it off one of the other AUX fan plugs on your Mobo or even directly from the PSU. My 3200+ runs at 45C during the middle of the day (35C Aussie weather) and that is without any heat paste on it :p

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
35 C? That's hot,very hot. :p
In winter times the weather here were i stand reaches even -30 C(outside of course)! Even an uberly OC AMD thunderbird(gosh,those were hot) would not overheat in these conditions.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
No really but close.
I'm close to the 45 parallel.
You see,here in my country you get crazy temperatures. In winter it's usually bellow 0 but there are sometimes very cold days and in nights it reaches sometimes -30(and i am sometimes active in those nights thank god i pay my heating bills,though it still is cold).
In summer times it usually gets over 30 but 2 years ago it reached 41 C. Not the best temps for a Prescott,no?
Floods are very common due to changing weather. And drought is common too though not were i stand, a bit easter.
At exactly my point there are West Winds influence bringing rich rains/ snow. And my town is situated on a plain. Very nice though i hate that it's opposite to the town that has entrence to the Black See.
And as an extra info,i'm living in Europe, central eastern Europe to be more exact.
So,from what country am i from? It shouldn't be that hard if you have map/knowlage.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Presto! No wonder i usually keep it a secret huh? :( With all the bad feedback we've been getting, i'd better not think of other's opinion on us.
That made me change my mind about you. You maybe aren't that bad after all though you shouldn't bash Intel with every AMD>intel bench. Also i noticed that you still favor nvidia's high end or advise on waiting more for G80. Now why to do that when ATI is the clear ruler for now? G80 won't be that much better and will cost a fortune for sure.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Seriously, there is no need to be that harsh.
I'm one of the lucky ones here and Romania has pretty much to offer in terms of turism(like Turkey BTW).
In Romania if you're one of the 30 % that is not poor you're lucky since in many economic strikes you're never involved. Of course, you always get the feeling that you should be getting more for your work but live goes on.
The other 70% are hardly leaving their lives and i really mean it.
And we need a stable and decent economy to integrate into UE by 2007( or 2008). Mission impossible. This country is filled to the brink with corruption from the politicians ... . With a corrupt power you can't expect a country to do well.

Anyway,enough of this. It's neither enjoyable,nor interesting to talk about this. In fact it makes me sick just thinking of how much there needs to be fixed. And there are good things to be said about romanian people. Average height for men 1.79(defenitely not short) and one of the highest averages in IQ. It's really shamefull that there is corruption and there are minorities from all over the world that gather here and in other countries and that steal, do contraband.. they are often associated with romanians though most of the time they're not.

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
No it is hot, I don't doubt the sensors. My friends computer will freeze on him after a while which is no surprise. I'll try a different power source for the fan, if anything i'll be getting a new fan/heatsink for it.