Sign in with
Your question
Closed

dell xps 400,what is the power supply wattage on this system

Last response: in Components
February 19, 2006 7:52:24 AM

i was wondering if the dell xps400 system can handle a 7800 video card or a 6800 video by nividia,does anyone have an dell400 xps system to help me with this answer,thanks.
February 19, 2006 9:29:08 AM

The configurator @ dell.com offers the 7800GTX as an option so I would imagine it would work, however your PSU might be a limiting factor.

Please post your system specs and your PSU details.
February 21, 2006 1:28:14 AM

The xps 400 has a 375 watt PFC power supply.
Related resources
February 21, 2006 2:11:35 AM

Quote:
The xps 400 has a 375 watt PFC power supply.
how do you know?
February 21, 2006 2:29:08 AM

Quote:
how do you know?

Because I know! J/k. Actually I work at Dell so I looked up the PSU in the system that a tech would use to send out a replacement PSU if a customer needed it. You can also read it in the Manual! :)  It says Dell™ Dimension™ 9150 Service Manual, the xps 400 and 9150 are one in the same other than that one (xps 400) is sold under the home and home office and gaming site where as the 9150 is sold under small business and up.

Proof enough for you? :p 
March 1, 2008 8:55:22 AM

Since you work for dell, would you be able to post a stock number to be able to purchase a 400-500 watt power supply replacement? computer still screams, but with the faster video cards out there, and still meeting the hardware requirements, the power supply needs to have more wattage to juice up the graphics and maintain power to the rest of the comp...

hope you can help, i hear that finding an upgrade to these power supply's is hell for these one of a kind cases...

(FYI i am running a Nvidia 7600 512mb card, but i want to go to the 8800 card that need 400-425watts...)
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2008 9:11:45 AM

Norcalsteve22 said:
Since you work for dell, would you be able to post a stock number to be able to purchase a 400-500 watt power supply replacement? computer still screams, but with the faster video cards out there, and still meeting the hardware requirements, the power supply needs to have more wattage to juice up the graphics and maintain power to the rest of the comp...

hope you can help, i hear that finding an upgrade to these power supply's is hell for these one of a kind cases...

(FYI i am running a Nvidia 7600 512mb card, but i want to go to the 8800 card that need 400-425watts...)

Almost any standard ATX psu will work in the XPS 400, but unless you're upgrading to an 8800 GTX the stock 375w/30a unit is fine.
March 1, 2008 10:01:16 AM

But anything past that 8800GTX will need an upgrade then? thanks for the fast response!! now, do you recommend any specific brand of ATX pwr supply? or will a random ATX'er from something like newegg.com be fine?
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2008 11:46:08 AM

I've put the Corsair HX 620 in a couple of Dell's, the modular cable's help to keep the wiring mess down a little. You don't really need that much power in an XPS 400, something like the HX 520 would be more than enough, or the Antec EA 500 if you don't care for modular.
March 1, 2008 12:28:13 PM

Good:1

Aerocool
AMS
Antec
Astec
AOpen
Asus
Channel Well
Cooler Master
Corsair
E-Power
Enermax
Enlight
Fortron Source
HEC
Hi-Power
HiperPower
Jeantech
Mad Dog
Mushkin
NSpire
OCZ
PCMCIS
PC Power & Cooling
PowerMan
Seasonic
SilenX
Silverstone
Sparklepower
Tagan
Thermaltake
TTGI/SuperFlower
Verax
Zalman
Xclio
Bad:

Achieve
Allied
Apevia (formerly Aspire, same quality)
Bestec
Codegen
CoolMax
Cyberzone
DEER
Dragon
Eagle Tech
EYE-T
Greenline
HIPRO
JSP-tech
KingStar
Kingwin
L&C
Linkworld
Okia
Orion
PowerMagic
PowerTek
PowerUp
Powmax
Q-Tec
Raidmax
Rosewill
Skyhawk
Startech
Turbolink
Ultra
Vantec
Win

Not Enough Info:

AGPB
Aerocool
Ahanix
Dynapower USA
Levicom
Soyo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 11, 2008 5:25:19 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this seemed very relevant to the question that I've been pondering for awhile now.

I have a Dell XPS 400 with the 375 watt power supply. I currently have a GeForce 6800 in it and I'd like to upgrade. I was considering the Radeon HD 4830 and started to do some research. After reading about graphics cards for a bit, I started to worry that I might just not have enough of a power supply. My budget is fairly limited and I didn't want this to spiral into upgrade-this-component-to-upgrade-this-component-to-upgrade-this-component....

I found a site that compares graphics cards and it says that the 8800 GTX card (mentioned above as a reference point) uses a maximum power draw of 176 watts and the 4830 pulls 110. From what I read above, might that mean that I could run the 4830 without a problem? I don't have a lot of bells and whistles on my computer so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for any help!
December 11, 2008 11:14:21 PM

Ah, thanks very much. That makes things much easier for me! Hmm... and not a bad idea to keep the card for a backup, either.
December 12, 2008 10:33:11 PM

I suppose since this post is already zombified, maybe I can get some advice. XPS 400 (stock PSU) I am looking at upgrading my Vid Card to the XFX GeForce 9800 GT - 512MB.
I have seen a video on tigerdirect that says it should be run with a 600watt psu. Any advice would be appreciated. TY.
December 12, 2008 11:52:03 PM

A few months ago, I got a dual-slot 9600 GT to comfortably fit and efficiently work in my XPS 400.

I will say this though...I also now have a new computer, as the CPU bottleneck (I had a Pentium D 930), was more than annoying. Specifically, while some games that were more gpu bound and/or well optimized for two cores, Bioshock for example, ran pretty good. Others howerver, ones that were more computer bound and/or primarily utilized one core, like Oblivion, were played with annoyance - the bottleneck was very obvious.
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2008 1:26:59 AM

Delluser420 said:
I suppose since this post is already zombified, maybe I can get some advice. XPS 400 (stock PSU) I am looking at upgrading my Vid Card to the XFX GeForce 9800 GT - 512MB.
I have seen a video on tigerdirect that says it should be run with a 600watt psu. Any advice would be appreciated. TY.

That should run fine on the Dell 375W. It's a decent PSU, with plenty of +12V amperage. I'd probably trust it to run as much as a 9800GTX or a 4850, though any higher and I'd look at replacing it.
February 5, 2009 4:43:36 AM

Louster69 said:
Quote:
how do you know?

Because I know! J/k. Actually I work at Dell so I looked up the PSU in the system that a tech would use to send out a replacement PSU if a customer needed it. You can also read it in the Manual! :)  It says Dell™ Dimension™ 9150 Service Manual, the xps 400 and 9150 are one in the same other than that one (xps 400) is sold under the home and home office and gaming site where as the 9150 is sold under small business and up.

Proof enough for you? :p 

question for you since you work or worked at dell ... how often does dell tell the truth? what i mean by this how many of the times when your on the phone with them do they just try to make you purchase stuff you dont need. I ask because i finally want to upgrade my HDD to 500 GB and RAM to 4gb as well as get a new case ,which ill have to take the guts out from my previous case and place it into the new one.
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2009 10:12:44 AM

thragnoth said:
question for you since you work or worked at dell ... how often does dell tell the truth? what i mean by this how many of the times when your on the phone with them do they just try to make you purchase stuff you dont need. I ask because i finally want to upgrade my HDD to 500 GB and RAM to 4gb as well as get a new case ,which ill have to take the guts out from my previous case and place it into the new one.

Did you notice that this guy's last response was 3 years ago ?
February 5, 2009 8:02:49 PM

delluser1 said:
Did you notice that this guy's last response was 3 years ago ?

LOl yes but im assuming since he DID make a name on the forums he obviously uses the forms like you do..... and it sends my message to his email address so he doesnt have to look at the forums if thats what your thinking.
a b ) Power supply
February 5, 2009 8:30:03 PM

thragnoth said:
LOl yes but im assuming since he DID make a name on the forums he obviously uses the forms like you do..... and it sends my message to his email address so he doesnt have to look at the forums if thats what your thinking.

He only made 3 posts, the last being almost 2 years ago. He may have turned off the email notification.
February 5, 2009 9:55:14 PM

theAnimal said:
He only made 3 posts, the last being almost 2 years ago. He may have turned off the email notification.

Not to seem like a dick or anything ... but I'm getting every information known to man about this guy who posted before, (which i REALLY don't care about now) but not one person has taken the time to attempt to answer my questions .
The questions I asked doesn't have to be directed to the guy who posted above I just want to know if my XPS 400 with all of its original guts will fit into an Antec Three hundred Gamer series Standard ATX tower. The reason I'm asking is because Ive heard a lot of rumors about dell making the motherboards/ power supplies oddly shaped and I believe my XPS 400s' system case is 18.3 inches tall but the antec is 18 inches, i wanted the antec case because it is wider and i have the option to put in a window easily. The 4 optional fan slots are nice too ;D so to brief it up, I would like to know if my 375 watt powersupply /Processor(Pentium D 2.8Ghz)3Gb RAM, 500GB NCQ SATA 2 Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache , and XFX- Geforce 9500 GT , will fit into the antec no problem. Thank you for your time
Also it is PCI Express
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2009 10:16:11 PM

No it won't, the motherboard is a Dell proprietary BTX model.

February 5, 2009 10:18:07 PM

delluser1 said:

ahh thank you so much delluser your the man , if you wouldn't mind can you recommend some cases that I would be able to use?
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2009 10:46:18 PM

There are none that I know of, it's a non standard BTX layout so the holes won't lineup and it's got a proprietary heatsink mounting system that requires holes on the motherboard tray that standard boxes don't have.
February 5, 2009 11:16:16 PM

delluser1 said:
There are none that I know of, it's a non standard BTX layout so the holes won't lineup and it's got a proprietary heatsink mounting system that requires holes on the motherboard tray that standard boxes don't have.

damn.... do you have xfire or aim,steam ?something easier to chat with then using this? if you have anything supply me with a name of your account so i can send you as well as what you use lol
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2009 12:54:11 AM

thragnoth said:
damn.... do you have xfire or aim,steam ?something easier to chat with then using this? if you have anything supply me with a name of your account so i can send you as well as what you use lol

None of the above.
You can cut a window into your case and mount two 80mm fans on the back grill, as well as cutting one into the side panel, just get creative.

I ended up taking the major components from this machine ( CPU, GPU, PSU { the Corsair shown }, harddrives, optical drives and ram ) and building my own in a reverse ATX case because I was so used to having the box on my left.
Had to get a case and motherboard ( already had a copy of Windows )
February 6, 2009 1:20:21 AM

delluser1 said:
None of the above.
You can cut a window into your case and mount two 80mm fans on the back grill, as well as cutting one into the side panel, just get creative.
http://contrvlr.no-ip.org:12300/ussdirect/cb/IMG_0526.JPG
I ended up taking the major components from this machine ( CPU, GPU, PSU { the Corsair shown }, harddrives, optical drives and ram ) and building my own in a reverse ATX case because I was so used to having the box on my left.
Had to get a case and motherboard ( already had a copy of Windows )

LOL im not really a hands on type of dude ... not yet atleast ive never installed anything with my into my case only thing ive ever done was cleaned out the inside with compress air can so .... im sure that stuff you listed above is easy but atm its way beyond me ..... Well since you seem knowledgeable with the XPS 400 can i fit an XFX Geforce 9500 GT ,500 GB HDD, 2 2GB 2x1 inside the current original case i have? if so what will i have to do to prepare my case ?
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2009 1:56:30 AM

You can fit all of those components, a bios update, if you haven't already done it, would be a good idea.
You'll need a good size SATA cable for the HD, here's where to get an original;
http://www.centrix-intl.com/details.asp?productid=1978

The machine can handle better video cards, a 9800GT would be much better and have no problem running on the stock psu.
There are 4 memory slots, but if you're running a 32 bit OS you won't see all 4 gigs, if that's what you plan on upgrading to. ( about 3.25 will show up as useable )
Adding the fans to back consists of nothing more than screwing them in and hooking up the power, it will help to lower temps.
February 6, 2009 2:31:37 AM

delluser1 said:
You can fit all of those components, a bios update, if you haven't already done it, would be a good idea.
You'll need a good size SATA cable for the HD, here's where to get an original;
http://www.centrix-intl.com/details.asp?productid=1978

The machine can handle better video cards, a 9800GT would be much better and have no problem running on the stock psu.
There are 4 memory slots, but if you're running a 32 bit OS you won't see all 4 gigs, if that's what you plan on upgrading to. ( about 3.25 will show up as useable )
Adding the fans to back consists of nothing more than screwing them in and hooking up the power, it will help to lower temps.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Games/produ...

is this the one you were talking about? cause it says i need DDR3 , I have DDR2 doesnt that mean i cant run it without spending more money to upgrade?
DDR3 SDRAM 256-bit ill have to get a new power supply as well 400 PSU , i also think this one will draw out a lot of power, eh might get it still though if i wanted it what do i need to upgrade? and yah i goofed up on the previous one i meant i only have 3GB ram

also i cant fit two 120 mm it has to be 2 80 mms?
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2009 10:50:51 AM

The video memory has nothing to do with the system memory.
The 375 watt power supply can provide upto 30amps of 12v power, that's more important than wattage reccomendations and more than enough for the <7 amps needed by a 9800GT. ( The machine above has been running a 9 amp 8800GTS 640 on the stock power supply for over 2 years )
If you currently have 3 gigs of ram it would be, IMO, pretty pointless to upgrade.
And no, you can't even fit one 120 mm fan on the back grill.
February 6, 2009 4:50:53 PM

delluser1 said:
The video memory has nothing to do with the system memory.
The 375 watt power supply can provide upto 30amps of 12v power, that's more important than wattage reccomendations and more than enough for the <7 amps needed by a 9800GT. ( The machine above has been running a 9 amp 8800GTS 640 on the stock power supply for over 2 years )
If you currently have 3 gigs of ram it would be, IMO, pretty pointless to upgrade.
And no, you can't even fit one 120 mm fan on the back grill.

okay im taking your advice im going to get the 9800 GT and two Antec Tri Cool 3.125 (80mm fans) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7441404&s...

and Im unsure if dell will be sending me the cable for the 500gbHD sata (i hope so) one question though , since dells cases normally are only efficient for the build it came with wont me amping the gfx card up that high over heat? i mean to say is will 3 80 mm fans and gfx card fan be enough to keep it cool?
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2009 5:26:35 PM

You already have a 120mm and 90mm intake fan ( those are the Dell fans ) the two 80's on the back will exhaust the hot air that would otherwise be forced out by the intake. This will help air to move more freely, thus cooling better.
As I said before, the power supply is up to the task.

PS; That's not much worse than what it would cost to have 2 of those fans shipped from Newegg
February 6, 2009 5:39:29 PM

delluser1 said:
You already have a 120mm and 90mm intake fan ( those are the Dell fans ) the two 80's on the back will exhaust the hot air that would otherwise be forced out by the intake. This will help air to move more freely, thus cooling better.
As I said before, the power supply is up to the task.

PS; That's not much worse than what it would cost to have 2 of those fans shipped from Newegg

is newegg quicker at shipping or something? ive heard of it but ive never used it
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2009 7:31:44 PM

Ordered a motherboard, 4 gigs of ram, three 640g hard drives, floppy, DVDrw,vid card, cathode light kit and an E8400 on Wednesday, it all showed up about 2 hours ago. Really depends on where the stuff ships from, I'm in N.J. and they have a warehouse here that my components shipped from.
Like I said though, the price for the fans at BB isn't much more than what it would cost at the Egg and you have the satisfaction of not having to wait at all.
February 6, 2009 8:37:51 PM

delluser1 said:

Just wanna make sure I understood this correctly. I know about Dell's motherboards, but will the other parts (specifically the PSU) work in another case? I'm assuming yes but just wanted to make sure.
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2009 9:22:24 PM

The 375w is 10mm taller than standard so I guess it depends on how the power supply bay is configured on the case, I've never tried it.
Not all Dell motherboards are the same, a few of the newer systems now use pretty much standard boards ( I530 and XPS630 are 2 that I know of )
February 6, 2009 10:05:26 PM

I have a XPS 400 so I'm pretty sure I'll need a new mobo for my upgrade. If the PSU can be used in my new system that will save me some cash. I'm looking at an Antec 300 (and a few other mid towers) just like thragnoth. I guess I'll have to check around to see if a Dell PSU will fit in the cases I'm looking at. Thanks for the info DellUser1.
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2009 11:24:23 PM

stash9876 said:
I have a XPS 400 so I'm pretty sure I'll need a new mobo for my upgrade. If the PSU can be used in my new system that will save me some cash. I'm looking at an Antec 300 (and a few other mid towers) just like thragnoth. I guess I'll have to check around to see if a Dell PSU will fit in the cases I'm looking at. Thanks for the info DellUser1.

This is what an Antec EA430 looks like in an XPS410/400

The Antec 300 psu mount is on the bottom of the case, looked at it at Newegg, it doesn't look like there is enough room for the Dell 375w, but I can't be sure.

February 7, 2009 6:07:42 AM

delluser1 said:
This is what an Antec EA430 looks like in an XPS410/400
http://contrvlr.no-ip.org:12300/ussdirect/cb/IMG_1949.JPG
The Antec 300 psu mount is on the bottom of the case, looked at it at Newegg, it doesn't look like there is enough room for the Dell 375w, but I can't be sure.

yah if i change my mobo can i get the a new case then ?
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2009 10:01:47 AM

Yes you can, there's more that you will need though.
A case , motherboard, heatsink fan, copy of Windows, and possibly a psu, then use the CPU, GPU, HD's, OD's and ram from the Dell.
February 7, 2009 4:12:41 PM

delluser1 said:
Yes you can, there's more that you will need though.
A case , motherboard, heatsink fan, copy of Windows, and possibly a psu, then use the CPU, GPU, HD's, OD's and ram from the Dell.

lol i really dont want to lose my psu >.< since its a damn good one but Ive been meaning to upgrade my mobo .....hmm heres a thought what if i just brought cheaper desktop and upgraded it from there ? the pricing would be just about the same and i would only have to upgrade graphic card
and HD to 500 ,im fine with 3gb
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9170844&s...

or is it easier to just upgrade my pentium D with this

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E5200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... :o 
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2009 1:48:39 PM

Buying another wouldn't be bad I guess.
No Core2Duo will work on your Dell.
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2009 7:51:24 PM

thragnoth said:
I THINK IVE FOUND IT :D  let me know wat you think , i want to make sure im getting full usage before i buy it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i hear a lot of bad things about buypower though .... so unsure about second one

Last I read Cyberpower had gotten much better in thier quality and customer service, so I would look there before Ibuypower.
Now ask yourself if that configuration suits your needs.
Do you really need a Quad ? If you're not doing alot of video encoding or number crunching the answer will be no, unless you're looking to have higher benchmarks.
Do you really want Vista ? It's the modern day equivalent of ME, just a stepping stone between XP and Windows7.
Try going to the Cyberpower site and configuring your own based on your needs and preference's.
February 8, 2009 8:19:17 PM

delluser1 said:
Last I read Cyberpower had gotten much better in thier quality and customer service, so I would look there before Ibuypower.
Now ask yourself if that configuration suits your needs.
Do you really need a Quad ? If you're not doing alot of video encoding or number crunching the answer will be no, unless you're looking to have higher benchmarks.
Do you really want Vista ? It's the modern day equivalent of ME, just a stepping stone between XP and Windows7.
Try going to the Cyberpower site and configuring your own based on your needs and preference's.

nah i think your right i can get a higher gfx (9800) card from dell and GB HD upgrade ( 500) 3 gb ram and g5 logitech gaming mouse for $351 while that is $549

ill just go with dell , i only plan to be playing video games like L4D , team fortress2, Aion(when it comes out) and future games of course . Only problem with dell though is they charge 119 for parts installation then 49 for each internal part you want to install , i have three i want installed inside....

sooo 266 + 351 .... $617 unless i can figure out how to install / set them up myself , but i was told if it was my first time doing it i shouldnt even try just let them install it as i watch .
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2009 8:56:14 PM

The parts you want to install are not difficult, do it yourself and save the money.
February 8, 2009 10:07:38 PM

delluser1 said:
The parts you want to install are not difficult, do it yourself and save the money.

know of a good (do it yourself webpage)? that gives a good step by step of where to put what?
February 10, 2009 6:35:43 PM

DellUser1-

I have the same dell xps 400. don't do any gaming but would like to get a new video card with dual dvi outs as I use 2 - 24 inch monitors. I have the nvidia 6800 in there now what would be the best card to replace with, without changing power supplies?
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2009 6:49:06 PM

A 9800 GT or ATI 4850.
!