dell xps 400,what is the power supply wattage on this system

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasa

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
i was wondering if the dell xps400 system can handle a 7800 video card or a 6800 video by nividia,does anyone have an dell400 xps system to help me with this answer,thanks.

linux_0

Splendid
The configurator @ dell.com offers the 7800GTX as an option so I would imagine it would work, however your PSU might be a limiting factor.

Please post your system specs and your PSU details.

Louster69

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
how do you know?

Because I know! J/k. Actually I work at Dell so I looked up the PSU in the system that a tech would use to send out a replacement PSU if a customer needed it. You can also read it in the Manual! :) It says Dell™ Dimension™ 9150 Service Manual, the xps 400 and 9150 are one in the same other than that one (xps 400) is sold under the home and home office and gaming site where as the 9150 is sold under small business and up.

Proof enough for you? :p

Norcalsteve22

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008
Since you work for dell, would you be able to post a stock number to be able to purchase a 400-500 watt power supply replacement? computer still screams, but with the faster video cards out there, and still meeting the hardware requirements, the power supply needs to have more wattage to juice up the graphics and maintain power to the rest of the comp...

hope you can help, i hear that finding an upgrade to these power supply's is hell for these one of a kind cases...

(FYI i am running a Nvidia 7600 512mb card, but i want to go to the 8800 card that need 400-425watts...)

Almost any standard ATX psu will work in the XPS 400, but unless you're upgrading to an 8800 GTX the stock 375w/30a unit is fine.

Norcalsteve22

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008
But anything past that 8800GTX will need an upgrade then? thanks for the fast response!! now, do you recommend any specific brand of ATX pwr supply? or will a random ATX'er from something like newegg.com be fine?

I've put the Corsair HX 620 in a couple of Dell's, the modular cable's help to keep the wiring mess down a little. You don't really need that much power in an XPS 400, something like the HX 520 would be more than enough, or the Antec EA 500 if you don't care for modular.

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Good:1

Aerocool
AMS
Antec
Astec
AOpen
Asus
Channel Well
Cooler Master
Corsair
E-Power
Enermax
Enlight
Fortron Source
HEC
Hi-Power
HiperPower
Jeantech
Mad Dog
Mushkin
NSpire
OCZ
PCMCIS
PC Power & Cooling
PowerMan
Seasonic
SilenX
Silverstone
Sparklepower
Tagan
Thermaltake
TTGI/SuperFlower
Verax
Zalman
Xclio
Bad:

Achieve
Allied
Apevia (formerly Aspire, same quality)
Bestec
Codegen
CoolMax
Cyberzone
DEER
Dragon
Eagle Tech
EYE-T
Greenline
HIPRO
JSP-tech
KingStar
Kingwin
L&C
Linkworld
Okia
Orion
PowerMagic
PowerTek
PowerUp
Powmax
Q-Tec
Raidmax
Rosewill
Skyhawk
Startech
Turbolink
Ultra
Vantec
Win

Not Enough Info:

AGPB
Aerocool
Ahanix
Dynapower USA
Levicom
Soyo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Triia

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this seemed very relevant to the question that I've been pondering for awhile now.

I have a Dell XPS 400 with the 375 watt power supply. I currently have a GeForce 6800 in it and I'd like to upgrade. I was considering the Radeon HD 4830 and started to do some research. After reading about graphics cards for a bit, I started to worry that I might just not have enough of a power supply. My budget is fairly limited and I didn't want this to spiral into upgrade-this-component-to-upgrade-this-component-to-upgrade-this-component....

I found a site that compares graphics cards and it says that the 8800 GTX card (mentioned above as a reference point) uses a maximum power draw of 176 watts and the 4830 pulls 110. From what I read above, might that mean that I could run the 4830 without a problem? I don't have a lot of bells and whistles on my computer so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for any help!

Triia

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Ah, thanks very much. That makes things much easier for me! Hmm... and not a bad idea to keep the card for a backup, either.

Delluser420

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I suppose since this post is already zombified, maybe I can get some advice. XPS 400 (stock PSU) I am looking at upgrading my Vid Card to the XFX GeForce 9800 GT - 512MB.
I have seen a video on tigerdirect that says it should be run with a 600watt psu. Any advice would be appreciated. TY.

jzsang

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
A few months ago, I got a dual-slot 9600 GT to comfortably fit and efficiently work in my XPS 400.

I will say this though...I also now have a new computer, as the CPU bottleneck (I had a Pentium D 930), was more than annoying. Specifically, while some games that were more gpu bound and/or well optimized for two cores, Bioshock for example, ran pretty good. Others howerver, ones that were more computer bound and/or primarily utilized one core, like Oblivion, were played with annoyance - the bottleneck was very obvious.

That should run fine on the Dell 375W. It's a decent PSU, with plenty of +12V amperage. I'd probably trust it to run as much as a 9800GTX or a 4850, though any higher and I'd look at replacing it.

thragnoth

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

question for you since you work or worked at dell ... how often does dell tell the truth? what i mean by this how many of the times when your on the phone with them do they just try to make you purchase stuff you dont need. I ask because i finally want to upgrade my HDD to 500 GB and RAM to 4gb as well as get a new case ,which ill have to take the guts out from my previous case and place it into the new one.

Did you notice that this guy's last response was 3 years ago ?

thragnoth

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

LOl yes but im assuming since he DID make a name on the forums he obviously uses the forms like you do..... and it sends my message to his email address so he doesnt have to look at the forums if thats what your thinking.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

He only made 3 posts, the last being almost 2 years ago. He may have turned off the email notification.

thragnoth

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

Not to seem like a dick or anything ... but I'm getting every information known to man about this guy who posted before, (which i REALLY don't care about now) but not one person has taken the time to attempt to answer my questions .
The questions I asked doesn't have to be directed to the guy who posted above I just want to know if my XPS 400 with all of its original guts will fit into an Antec Three hundred Gamer series Standard ATX tower. The reason I'm asking is because Ive heard a lot of rumors about dell making the motherboards/ power supplies oddly shaped and I believe my XPS 400s' system case is 18.3 inches tall but the antec is 18 inches, i wanted the antec case because it is wider and i have the option to put in a window easily. The 4 optional fan slots are nice too ;D so to brief it up, I would like to know if my 375 watt powersupply /Processor(Pentium D 2.8Ghz)3Gb RAM, 500GB NCQ SATA 2 Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache , and XFX- Geforce 9500 GT , will fit into the antec no problem. Thank you for your time
Also it is PCI Express

thragnoth

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

ahh thank you so much delluser your the man , if you wouldn't mind can you recommend some cases that I would be able to use?

There are none that I know of, it's a non standard BTX layout so the holes won't lineup and it's got a proprietary heatsink mounting system that requires holes on the motherboard tray that standard boxes don't have.

thragnoth

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

damn.... do you have xfire or aim,steam ?something easier to chat with then using this? if you have anything supply me with a name of your account so i can send you as well as what you use lol

Status
Not open for further replies.