Antec Sonata II with 450 w for €130

anabellita

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Following up on my two previous threads (video cards and general homebuilt), I am closing in on the system I'm getting.

Components are:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 socket 939 Venice (approx. €165)
MoBo: ASRock 939dual SATA2 (approx. €65)
Graphics Card: ASUS EAX1300/TD/128/Radeon X1300 (approx. €80)
Memory: Kingston DIMM DDR 400Mhz PC3200 Kingston, 184-pin 512M (approx. €50)... looking into a similar Corsair, roughly same price
HDD: I'm keeping my two current Maxtor Diamond 9 (80GB + 120 GB)
Optical Drive: Still have to figure out the DVDR, but I've seen NECs that look OK at around €50
Just a
Any floppy drive (approx. €15)

I am now looking for a PSU and case. I have been told (and read) to look for antec, ocz or enermax for stability and efficiency, and silence is paramount to me. Of course, since it's a budget computer, I really don't want to spend too much on the box.... :roll: don't care much for aesthetics, really (well, maybe a little :oops: , but not very concerned).

I have read great things about the Antec Sonata on buildsilentpc.com. And I have found that the Antec Sonata II comes with a 450w PSU already included (I assume it's an Antec PSU?) all for a very reasonable price.

Will the PSU be stable? Will the power be sufficient? Will the system be silent? Is this a good deal?

Bushwick

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Silent is prolly an exaggeration. Quiet, yes. Silent, no. Antec makes good PSUs and unless a vendor is stripping them out and putting in cheapos, yes you'll get an Antec PSU which should be fine for what you're running. So all is well. Unfortunately I can't speak to the price as I don't know what the going rate is where you are (Europe I assume).