Is this normal??

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
When I run pc alert, on the middle row, far right where it displays a little graph for a 12+ voltage reading, it's always flashing in red with an alarm going off reading 6.49V although this changes, it was 4.49 yesterday. Thing is once my pc is up and running (see my other post about boot-up trouble: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Boot-problem-rig-ftopict175478.html ) everything seems to be fine.

Should I be worried or have I got a dodgy motherboard or something.

And If it is my motherboard would a BIOS update help?

I'd look up your board on msi's website and see if any bios updates cover the temp issue. I've used msi's "live update" flash program without problems, but proceed with caution if you haven't flashed before. It takes a few minutes to finish, and any mistakes will make your board unbootable.

ixion

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
3.8 would include all previous revisions, they provide older versions one so you can see the version history but in case a newer version causes a conflict to give you the opportunity to go back to a version that works, the same as sites that offer a history of device drivers for example the ATi site offering quite a few catalyst releases.

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Thanks.

what happens if I run the live update, it reboots, then tells me 'cpu fan not working, shutting down'

Should I have a new mobo on standby?!?!?

oh, and how do I find out what my current bios version is, can I check in windows??

ixion

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
The bios version is displayed during POST usually up in the top left hand corner of your monitor, either that or you can look it up in Windows either using a diagnostic program such as Sandra or by using the built in systeminfo tool from the command line. Or CPU-Z.

If your CPU fan is definitely still running and it's just a case of the motherboard detecting the speed wrongly there is probably an option in your BIOS to disable the warning on the CPU fan and allow you to boot normally (if you've already tried that then I apologise as I've not read the other thread)

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I've just made a strange discovery...

After about 12 attempts at turning my pc on I made it into the bios where it was (as usual) telling me the cpu fan was spinning at 0rpm, despite it actually spinning. I tried twiddling the wires to see if it was a dodgy connection but it had no effect. Then (again as usual) it started telling me anything from around 500rpm to 1200rpm, so I thought maybe it only registers the fan spinning at over 500rpm. So I waited until it was reading 0 again and blew on the fan to increase it's speed... Low and behold it started to give me a reading up to 1000rpm or so before dropping back down to 0.

So it looks like I've found the problem, which is a relief of sorts, but how do I go about dealing with it???

Should I try a bios update and just be sure to blow on the fan when it reboots to avoid it screwing up the process??

Thanks for all your help!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Errr Ummm.. just get a new fan. Just take it to a local Compusa store, and ask if they have a replacement fan.

LOL, I can't believe you have 2 threads on this.

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Er, yeah, sorry about that!

Anyways, which ever motherboard it is they all use the same bios I think, so once I've got the spare cash to get a replacement I'll try updating it... if it goes wrong... well I'll just get a new & better one!

What a headache!!

Thanks for all your input anyway, hope I haven't gotten on your nerves... too much!!!