wireless SD and SDIO cards

a b F Wireless
September 23, 2004 2:58:58 AM

I have had a IPAQ 3900 for over a year. Up to now I have never have been
interested in a wireless connection for it. The IPAQ has an SD slot. I would
like to purchase an SD wireless card for it. The wireless cards I see are
SDIO cards. Will this type of card work in my SD slot? The card looks longer
than the SD memory card I currently have and use. If not are the wireless SD
cards?

The IPAQ also has bluetooth technology but I am not exactly sure what that
is and how I may be able to use it connect to my wireless lan?

Thanks much for any advice and help!

Jeff

More about : wireless sdio cards

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 23, 2004 3:15:01 PM

Jeff,

An SDIO card is an input/output card that is in the SD form factor. It is
just a card that will, as the name applies, input and output data. This is
what a WiFi card does. The 3900 series can accept SDIO cards according to
HP so you should not have a problem using one of these cards.

So, you are correct, the Wifi cards are longer than a traditional SD card
due to the antenna.

As for bluetooth, it is a much shorter range wireless technology. The
throughput is also much slower.. at least in the current revision. You can
connect to you network as long as it is bluetooth enabled as well.

I hope this helps you!

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Editor

http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews

"J Miller" <jmiller@*nospam*pcsdps.org> wrote in message
>I have had a IPAQ 3900 for over a year. Up to now I have never have been
> interested in a wireless connection for it. The IPAQ has an SD slot. I
> would
> like to purchase an SD wireless card for it. The wireless cards I see are
> SDIO cards. Will this type of card work in my SD slot? The card looks
> longer
> than the SD memory card I currently have and use. If not are the wireless
> SD
> cards?
>
> The IPAQ also has bluetooth technology but I am not exactly sure what that
> is and how I may be able to use it connect to my wireless lan?
>
> Thanks much for any advice and help!
>

> Jeff

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 23, 2004 3:15:02 PM

be warned, the sd wifi cards are very temperamental and have a hard time
connecting to many devices.
(check the forums at www.socketcom.com for compatibility with your router)

"Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote in
message news:o Ijx7hYoEHA.868@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Jeff,

An SDIO card is an input/output card that is in the SD form factor. It is
just a card that will, as the name applies, input and output data. This is
what a WiFi card does. The 3900 series can accept SDIO cards according to
HP so you should not have a problem using one of these cards.

So, you are correct, the Wifi cards are longer than a traditional SD card
due to the antenna.

As for bluetooth, it is a much shorter range wireless technology. The
throughput is also much slower.. at least in the current revision. You can
connect to you network as long as it is bluetooth enabled as well.

I hope this helps you!

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Editor
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!

http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews

"J Miller" <jmiller@*nospam*pcsdps.org> wrote in message
>I have had a IPAQ 3900 for over a year. Up to now I have never have been
> interested in a wireless connection for it. The IPAQ has an SD slot. I
> would
> like to purchase an SD wireless card for it. The wireless cards I see are
> SDIO cards. Will this type of card work in my SD slot? The card looks
> longer
> than the SD memory card I currently have and use. If not are the wireless
> SD
> cards?
>
> The IPAQ also has bluetooth technology but I am not exactly sure what that
> is and how I may be able to use it connect to my wireless lan?
>
> Thanks much for any advice and help!
>

> Jeff

a b F Wireless
September 23, 2004 4:23:33 PM

afaik, the 3900 SD slot is _not_ sdio ...the 395x is after a rom update

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 23, 2004 4:39:04 PM

Beverly,

There is a driver for the 3900 series that will allow these cards to work in
the SD slot on the HP website. It is for PPC 2002. I am assuming, perhaps
incorrectly, that the PPC2003 ROM update has this driver installed already.
Do you know for sure?

Thanks,

Clinton

message news:uCfYJIZoEHA.800@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...