Question about the geforce 7800 GO! (mobile)

sniperfox

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Right now, im running most of my games on this desktop im on now. specs are as follows

Amd athlon 2400+ ~2.0ghrz
Geforce 6600GT 128 megs
1.5 gigs ram

Since is started collage, i just ordered a laptop.. so i could do work, yet in the meantime, i wanted to be able to play some games on it ( even though, laptops arent normally specifically ment for games)
I got a pretty sweet deal on a laptop from dell, where a family friend works.. laptop specs are as follows

Centrino Duo Processor 2x 1.83GHz (so.. 3.66ghz, i guess?)
17" Ultra Screen XGA with truelife
2GB,DDR2,533MHZ,2 DIMM
8X DVD Dual Layer Burner
100GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
NVIDIA geforce 7800 GO! 256 meg (not the gtx version)

Only the important specs are listed.... the deal came witha whole bunch of other things

got it for about 2499$ canadian. +tax

Now, here's my big question.
I was told, that the 7800 GO!, which is the mobile version of the 7800x series, is EQUIVALENT to the graphic card that i have now in my desktop. (the 6600 GT). I know the 7800 go is indeed a watered down version of the rest in the series,, but is it really equivalent to the 6600 gt?

multiple people i have asked said yes, yet others say no.

Basically, will i get a significantly better gaming experience with this laptop then with my current desktop?

it'll be here in about 2 weeks :p

edit: OR, if anyone knows where i can find a benchmark for the geforce 7800 go! (not gtx version :p thats all i could find), that would be cool too

thanks

sniperfox

Since is started collage,

OOOooohh collage I remember that from art class, fun stuff with all the glue and things. Putting silly heads on funny bodies..... :twisted:

Centrino Duo Processor 2x 1.83GHz (so.. 3.66ghz, i guess?)

Nope it'll still play 'most' games like a single 1.83ghz Centrino, which is like a 2.6ghz P4 in performance. The advantage of duo core is for multi-threaded apps, and there you'll likely get about a 20-40% boost in very specific games that are built for that. Future games however will likely be more and more built around multiple cores so it's a good choice.

NVIDIA geforce 7800 GO! 256 meg (not the gtx version)

got it for about 2499$ canadian. +tax

Pretty good, sounds like the 9400. A friend just bought the 9300 in the fall with the GF6800 in it.

Now, here's my big question.
I was told, that the 7800 GO!, which is the mobile version of the 7800x series, is EQUIVALENT to the graphic card that i have now in my desktop. (the 6600 GT). I know the 7800 go is indeed a watered down version of the rest in the series,, but is it really equivalent to the 6600 gt?

No, it's far from equivalent, it's.. how you say... Far Freakin' better!

multiple people i have asked said yes, yet others say no.

Find those people, smack them in the head and say, defend yourself. Then after you've fought for a bit and tirred them out, maybe one of them could explain what they mean. :tongue:
Like I said GF7800GO > GF6600GT.

Basically, will i get a significantly better gaming experience with this laptop then with my current desktop?

I'd say almost assuredly yes, the only thing is you might find even with that more powerful CPU and GPU, you might still be somewhat res limited, and with that big monitor you may have some blurring when you interpolate, but from experience it's not too bad when running around shooting shizzle. And if you treated it like your desktop hooking up an external monitor, it'd definitely be better. So of the two it'd a solid gaming laptop.

it'll be here in about 2 weeks :p

And you stick your tongue out with this news why? Crazy boy!

edit: OR, if anyone knows where i can find a benchmark for the geforce 7800 go! (not gtx version :p thats all i could find), that would be cool too

I'd have to look, but just the fill rates and memory bandwidth (and even size - escpecially for that widescreen) way favour the GF7800.