Which is better for an older computer? Vista or Windows 7?

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Which is better for an older computer? Vista or Windows 7? I've got a Pentium 4 3Ghz with 1.5GB of RAM and onboard graphics. Vista seems to be a little much for this old of a computer. Would Windows 7 handle the system better?

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I have a similar system at the moment; P4 3.0GHz and 1GB RAM. Runs XP fine for me bearing in mind I have done a lot of tweaking and keep things very streamlined etc. If you have XP I would stick with that...Vista and 7 would likely both struggle.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I recommend sticking with XP
I already have Vista and I enjoy the features, so I probably won't be downgrading. I have an opportunity to buy a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for ~$25. I'm just trying to figure out if Windows 7 would actually run better than Vista. Does Windows 7 utilize its resources better than Vista?

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I think the best thing you can do, if possible, is upgrade the memory. 2 x 2 GB should help the system run a lot smoother and take advantage of the hypertrheading, and not cost too much. Note that computer will only be able to use about 3.2 GB of the memory - but that is still double what you have. What memory configuration do you have now? If it includes 2 sticks of 500MB, and you have 4 memory slots, you might also keep those two and just add 2 x 1GB.

By the way - are you sure hyperthreading is turned on. When you open Task Manager and look on the "Performance Tab" do you see graphs for two CPU Usage Histories? I have a Dell with P4 3GHz and found I have been using it for years with hyperthreading disabled. I only learned this after reading about a post that said some systems had shipped with it disabled. Anyway, speed on some things improved after I went into the BIOS and enabled it.