dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
After some searching I found this and decide to try it out with my Opteron 165. At first it seemed to make things work a tad better. But every time I would turn on the system for the first time that day and then try and run a game it would lock up hard and take several minutes to reboot, but then it would fine running a game the rest of the day. This got very annouying so I canned it. I guess the point of this post is kind of public service annoucement.

Anyone else tried this? And have any problems?

I guess I should have know it would be weird since on Microsofts site it doesn't really recommend it and your suppose to call them in order to actually get it! Their site recommends waiting till the next service pack, lol

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
I use the MS dual-core patch myself, and have no problems with it. Infact, I use to have problems with games stuttering.

Did you install AMD's dual core driver as well, or did you jsut install the MS patch? I use them both, so see if that cleans up some of your problems.

The MS hotfix did very little if anything for me. Adding /usepmtimer to my boot.ini file seemed to fix 99% of my problems. From what I understand, the AMD dual core patch adds this parameter to your boot.ini along with some other stuff. I can't confirm that though.

sample line from boot.ini:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer

--
MSI K8n Neo4 Plat.
AMD X2 4400+

queen_leonia

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
anybody knows where i can get that WinXP Dual Core hot fix.. i'm looking for it.. i have amd athlon 64 x2 4200.. thank.. no broken link plz.