Last response: in CPUs

Which CPU?

Total: 26 votes (2 blank votes)

• AMD Athlon 64 3200+
  • 71 %
  • Intel Pentium 4 630
  • 30 %
February 19, 2006 5:33:36 PM

Hello, I am going to upgrade my Pentium 4 2.8A GHz 400 FSB 478 CPU to something more modern. The two processors I am concidering are the
Intel Pentium 4 630 3.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB 2 MB L2 Cache 775 Prescott
and
AMD Athlon 64 2.0 GHz, 1 GHz FSB, 512 K L2 cache 939 Venice

So, some important info here. I do not, and will not overclock. And these are all I can afford at the moment, so I will not be going for dual core, as with the mobo, ram, and video upgrades I simply don't have the cash for it right at this moment.

What I plan on doing is some moderate gaming, not exacly pushing every last FPS though. I plan on doing some photoshop, premier, flash, and a lot of Visual Studio. I really want visual studio to run better. One of my primary concerns is to also get my MSDN install of Windows Vista to just run generally faster than it is now. Thanks a lot, 000.
February 19, 2006 5:40:07 PM

I think the P4 is better at visual studio.... I'd say the 3200 if you were just gaming... if you were overclocking, I'd say definitely the P4... but since you aren't... it's a bit harder to choose.
February 19, 2006 5:55:36 PM

Alright, cool, so if I get an x800GT and pop that in there with 1 GB of RAM, gaming will still be pretty good, and regular performance will be good as well. Because, as I said, games are a hobby, but not the top priority of this rig. Ok, well then it looks as if I'm leaning to the Pentium 4 now. Thanks for your input.
Related resources
February 19, 2006 6:14:16 PM

no stop get the 3200 its better for gaming it runs cooler and it takes 67 w while the 630 takes 85w and dude dont get an intel they are like drunks owning an intel is like

GETTING TOUCHED BY MICHAEL JACKSON IN THE WRONG WAY!!!
February 19, 2006 7:08:20 PM

The Prescott 630 is better than a 3200 in benchmarks and hard application but it is a little hot.But you can fix that with a new cooler like Zalman or Scythe Ninja.If you choose P4 Prescott you choose a new fan too
February 19, 2006 7:19:52 PM

Go with the prescott, If it runs hot then you'll have to buy a cooler or suffer the heat.
A prescott will do better at photoshop and multitasking but will lag behind in games.
If you're a gamer(though you don't admit it),go with AMD.
February 19, 2006 7:23:35 PM

Quote:
no stop get the 3200 its better for gaming it runs cooler and it takes 67 w while the 630 takes 85w and dude dont get an intel they are like drunks owning an intel is like

thank you for another completely unbiased post dvddiddy.
Back to the subject at hand...I've had a 3200 venice for awhile and I am very satisfied with the performance (even at stock).
They are extremely reliable under even the most demanding tasks because of low heat dissipation. The gaming performance for this CPU is very powerful as well. Even at stock however, you may need a new CPU cooler for that prescott. Neither is really a bad choice, but you might do well with the 3200 since you want reliability and uptime and are on a budget.
February 19, 2006 7:28:51 PM

Quote:

thank you for another completely unbiased post dvddiddy.
Back to the subject at hand...I've had a 3200 venice for awhile and I am very satisfied with the performance (even at stock).
They are extremely reliable under even the most demanding tasks because of low heat dissipation. The gaming performance for this CPU is very powerful as well. Even at stock however, you may need a new CPU cooler for that prescott. Neither is really a bad choice, but you might do well with the 3200 since you want reliability and uptime and are on a budget. welcome
February 19, 2006 7:35:38 PM

It doesn't look like the previous posters know what visual studio is.
The truth is that A64s are much better using compilers than P4s.
If you get the Amd chip, you will have faster compiling, better gaming, and a cooler rig. Even an A64 3000 would outperf a 630, so it really is a no brainer.
February 19, 2006 8:06:32 PM

BTW, if that is indeed a northwood A 2.8ghz, it is a rare chip. There are a lot of people who would love to have it. Please put it out for sale.
February 19, 2006 8:07:35 PM

Wow, thanks for all the replies. In all the forums I've been too I've never gotten so many replies. Ok, well, as for power consumption, I'm getting an antec case with a 500w PSU, so I don't think that's neccisarily an issue. However, the cooling is. I really don't want to dump money into cooling on a processor, that already is 20 bucks more. So, on that ground let me ask you this, is the stock cooling setup fine to run at stock speeds, or will that pose a risk? Now, about the benchmarks, I referenced to the Mother of All Processors Review for 05/06. As it looks, the AMD Cleans up in gaming. They are about on par in regular apps, with the upper hand going to AMD, and about on par in the encoding. The Intel cleans up in synthetic benchmarks however, what does this all mean? It also looks like it is shaping up to be that everyone I read about that has an AMD loves it, I can't say that for the people who own Intel processors. Should I go AMD here it will be my first, as I've always used Intel. One of my main concerns here is that if I get the Prescott, I will have to dump more money into cooling, on top of the more money the CPU already is, not to mention the mobo I picked is slightly more on the Intel (as I need my ATA drives right now, can't afford the SATA upgrade ATM). Now, about the compilers, I read the guide to picking a CPU posted in this forum, it seems that AMD is in fact the CPU of choice. Microsoft also uses AMD to compile it's applications. So, thanks for all the responses, and basically my stance now is this. I'm a little worried of the added cost to maintain a stable pentium 4 system. As it looks right now, AMD is seeming to be conciderably cheaper at a stable and comperable performance level. So it looks like AMD, but I am still gladly open for more suggestions, as I need to make the right decision as I'll need this rig for about a year or two. Thanks again, 000.
February 19, 2006 8:07:48 PM

Yeah, right the 3200+ is better but he said he wants to get the P4 so let him have it... he just made a bad decision... really bad...
February 19, 2006 8:13:35 PM

Quote:
BTW, if that is indeed a northwood A 2.8ghz, it is a rare chip. There are a lot of people who would love to have it. Please put it out for sale.

Really, the
Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
Northwood Core
400 MHz FSB
512 L2 K Cache
Socket 478

How much are we talking here???

Here's the CPU-Z screenshot.

P.S, if this bumps from my previous post, please go back and read it, I raised some issues there, thanks.
February 19, 2006 8:29:07 PM

LOL, BTW- I wonder if that 630 will fit on a socket 478 ...hhmmmm
February 19, 2006 8:31:36 PM

Quote:
LOL, BTW- I wonder if that 630 will fit on a socket 478 ...hhmmmm

huh? I know it doesn't, I arleady have a mobo and DDR2 picked out should I go Intel, (which now isn't so likely).

I also have a mobo and Better (Corsair XMS PC 3200 2-2-2-3 2x512) picked out should I go AMD, which at this point is looking like what's gonna be the case.
February 19, 2006 9:07:50 PM

Quote:

Really, the
Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
Northwood Core
400 MHz FSB
512 L2 K Cache
Socket 478

How much are we talking here???

Here's the CPU-Z screenshot.

P.S, if this bumps from my previous post, please go back and read it, I raised some issues there, thanks.
That's not the Northwood people want.
February 19, 2006 9:20:30 PM

what is the northwood people? who would want a northwood to begin with?
February 19, 2006 9:22:17 PM

You misread, that is not the nortwood processor people want.
February 19, 2006 9:26:24 PM

Northwoods overclock really well 8) and they run cool...

P4 is fine on stock HSF, don't need to worry about the heat, unless you are in a hot country like Au... then most CPU's, AMD or Intel run at about 50C most of the time.
February 19, 2006 9:55:33 PM

Well, it looks like I'm going to go for the AMD, it's slightly cheaper, offers comperable, and in some cases better performance, and it runs cooler. Thanks for the help guys, I'm still open for more input should anyone have anything else to say.
February 19, 2006 10:01:17 PM

939 is upgradable to dual core when you need to ...
February 19, 2006 10:05:13 PM

That's kind of what I'm thinking. People are talking about waiting for the new AM2. I won't be able to afford that for a good while. So I'm thinking, this rig will please me now, and as new CPUs, with quad core, and such get out for the AM2, two years down the road or so, I can pick up an X2 or FX-60 as the mobo I picked will be compatable, and that will still satisfy me, between that and PCI-e being around for a while, it makes sense, as there will be plenty of upgradability left in 939 for me.
February 19, 2006 10:07:23 PM

I would take a northy over a prescott anyday....that being said.
I thought you would have been fine with a single P4...but if your going AMD, thats fine to.

DC or SC? Look into a 144, 46 OPTY...CANBE or CAYBE....they can hit 3ghz on air....
February 19, 2006 10:16:32 PM

Hmm, I know it's not a good comparative, as obviously I will build it my own, but I'm gonna go to a local computer place (probably circut city), and try rigs with similar processors. I'm really starting to like what AMD has to offer, as I've been an Intel fanboy my whole life.
February 19, 2006 10:42:54 PM

Quote:
I would take a northy over a prescott anyday....that being said.
I thought you would have been fine with a single P4...but if your going AMD, thats fine to.

DC or SC? Look into a 144, 46 OPTY...CANBE or CAYBE....they can hit 3ghz on air....
nicely put raven btw if i was forced to choose prescott or northwood i would definitly i would choose northwood over prescott anyday!(who knows maybe i could've still been an intel fanboy if intel had stuck with northwood)
February 19, 2006 10:57:33 PM

Yes, that is the chip I was talking about. There were very few of the northwoodA 2.8ghz chips made, as Intel went to a 133/533fsb around the same time.
I dont know for sure how much people would pay for it, but we have had a lot of posts that go {quote]The fastest chip that board will handle is the 2.8ghz P4A. They are hard to find, so just get a 2.6[/quote]
Search on Ebay, but ~$200 seems fair.
February 19, 2006 10:59:53 PM

i would choose prescott. 90nm hits higher speeds...
February 19, 2006 11:05:01 PM

Thats the thing, I love(d) my Northwood. Stock 2600mhz.
After I replaced that shotty ass Kingston Value with something a litte more decent, I threw on some RAM sinks....a TT Xazer11, some AS5 and made
13x248 = 3224mhz. Then the RAM became highly unstable. Needless to say, the thing Idle'd around 35C load around 44C depending on the applications running.

I know for a fact I could have went higher, and maybe someday when I get a little more cash, and time...I'll bring that CPU back up and push it too the limit.

EDIT: Yes, 90NM will hit higher clock speeds. However the pipeline in the Prescott is longer and has more stages than the Northwood. So it requires higher clock speeds to make up for preformance difference of the Northy.
If you were to take an even clock northy, then a prescott, I can say the overall winner would be the Northwood. I know the Prescott has double the L2.....but Northwood's utilized the 512k a little better.

Kinda hard to explain, it might sound wrong....technically it is...but its true.
I dont own that 540 anymore, otherwise I'd prove it.
February 19, 2006 11:34:47 PM

Quote:

February 19, 2006 11:36:25 PM

hey dude if prescott is 30 step and northwood is 20 step then how about the cache latency was it lower with the northwood?
February 19, 2006 11:38:50 PM

Quote:

holy crap dude where did you get the pic its so funny lol
February 19, 2006 11:43:27 PM

so what? prescotts hit such high speeds it doesn't matter in the end...they should easily overpower the northwoods at far lower speeds.
!