Microsoft Finally Previewing Windows Phone 8 SDK

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think it is stupid they don't want the public to know about features yet. Especially since some of those features may make people hold off on purchasing the lackluster Iphone 5

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
It might be cool. Frankly I look forward to having an option other than "i" or "G". "i" just ain't my bag of tea. "G" is just a little too intrusive for me (and disorganized to boot).

commandersozo

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
I think it's more likely that they have some new features they don't want to reveal to the competition. Both of Microsoft's major competitors in the field are notorious idea-thieves (not that Microsoft is much better). Having typed "idea-thieves" I'm now visualizing Apple hiring Leo DiCaprio to invade Steve Ballmer's mind. That would be quite a trip.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
It might very well be great. The problem is they screwed over their customer base on Win 7 phones. I mean Win 7 phones were barely out and then they announced Win 8 phones. I almost bought one too! Microsoft really shot itself in the foot, and they are going to have to work very hard to get anyone interested in Win 8 after that fiasco.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
This makes perfect sense. What they don't want to do is spoil the surprise on upcoming Smartphones and Tablets that are emulated by the software. There maybe other hardware in the works too.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]It might very well be great. The problem is they screwed over their customer base on Win 7 phones. I mean Win 7 phones were barely out and then they announced Win 8 phones. I almost bought one too! Microsoft really shot itself in the foot, and they are going to have to work very hard to get anyone interested in Win 8 after that fiasco.[/citation]

While I generally agree with your statement, it's common to the smart phone industry; Microsoft, in other words, certainly wasn't the fits to do that. They also released an upgrade for the Win 7 phones that supplies a lot of the features. I don't recall Android even doing that much.

Realistically though, hardware in phones is changing so fast right now that anyone buying should expect some amount of "obsolete" in a short period of time. A 6-month old phone is last generation, at best, and you can only do so much to bring the hardware capabilities forward.

;)

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]The picture does not depict the new Windows logo. Shouldn't Tom's writers stop using it?Or is Microsoft using a different logo for their Windows 8 phone edition?[/citation]

Yes, where have you been? This is the new MS logo

[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]It might very well be great. The problem is they screwed over their customer base on Win 7 phones. I mean Win 7 phones were barely out and then they announced Win 8 phones. I almost bought one too! Microsoft really shot itself in the foot, and they are going to have to work very hard to get anyone interested in Win 8 after that fiasco.[/citation]
Win 7 phones have been out a lot longer than you may realize. Just because the Lumia line was only out a few months, doesn't mean they was the only ones out.

Anyways, I don't see anything wrong or amiss about selling a Win 7 phone, and now offering Win 8 phones several months later. The Win 7 phones still do everything they did when they were bought. Just because there is now a Win 8 phone doesn't make the Win 7 phone less of a product than when it was bought.

I find it odd how so many people some how think a Win 7 phone becomes useless once Win 8 arrives. That's like calling your 2010 F150 useless, because you can buy 2012 models now.

rrockman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Win 7 phones have been out a lot longer than you may realize. Just because the Lumia line was only out a few months, doesn't mean they was the only ones out.Anyways, I don't see anything wrong or amiss about selling a Win 7 phone, and now offering Win 8 phones several months later. The Win 7 phones still do everything they did when they were bought. Just because there is now a Win 8 phone doesn't make the Win 7 phone less of a product than when it was bought.I find it odd how so many people some how think a Win 7 phone becomes useless once Win 8 arrives. That's like calling your 2010 F150 useless, because you can buy 2012 models now.[/citation]
Yeah, but what people mean (or I hope they mean), is that before knowing that the next version would have had native apps incompatible with the previous, you bought thinking that your apps were going to steadily increase even if you didn't get all the new OS version features. Instead, with the incompatibility of WP8 apps on WP7, the WP7 users are now all but assured that they won't see many new apps for their phone if at all, once WP8 comes out, because developers will focus on the new. Debatable anyway, since if I was a developer, I'd do both a WP7 and WP8 version of my app, to broaden the user base and generate more talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.