Ultimate cooling solution for case.

Hoshimoto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
I started this topic to sort my thought a little and share my idea with others.

Background.

I always used heat sink+cooler solutions to cool stuff inside my case, I bought best cpu cooler I could find, but it was just not enough, cpu temp is still as stick cooler, and I got hottest vga to 9800 XT (~75*C on full load). I had 2 ways to go water cooling which in some cases is not much better than heat sinks or highly efficient electronic cooling (which consumes shitload of energy). I used to open windows in my room just because its hot here, duno if its heat from PC that warms air or room radiator, but I open window pretty often and noticed that CPU/VGA/MOBO temperature goes very low which is perfectly explainable coz outside on the street is cool air not as my room. But its kinda cold to sit here with open window while running cpu/vga @ full load. Then last day I think why not give that air to case only (not whole room), I could construct pipe that will bring air from outside the window to my case.

Plan.

Give air from street to the case without affecting on room temperature.
Not sure yet if what its gona be, in/out pipes or just in pipe... I post more information after while

Plus:

Highly effective cooling with very cold air.
Very low price comparing to other cooling methods.
Fits in any case size.

Minus:
Pipe looks shitty in my room.
Could add some humidity inside pc (but not sure yet).

Same could be used for water cooling, but in this case u run pipes with water to window and place heat sink outside.

iMatt711

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Ok first of all, that would be pretty dangerous for your PC. To bring in external air would bring in a ton of dust. Not only that but what if it rained, or depending on where you live snowed. However, if you did it with water cooling it is somewhat plausible but remember, it has to be level with your pc and it cant go much more than a foot away.

Hoshimoto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
To bring in external air would bring in a ton of dust. Not only that but what if it rained, or depending on where you live snowed.
Yep its snowed outside.
Yeah i mentained its dangerous exactly because of moisture of the air, but not rain or snow since you can simply put pipe outside of window at angle so rain or snow simply never get inside of it.
Dust is not such a big problem because u can set up filter.

However, if you did it with water cooling it is somewhat plausible but remember, it has to be level with your pc and it cant go much more than a foot away.
Why it cant be more than foot away or not same level as case? If pipes are full of water and pump makes it always circulate so whats difference how far it gona be (how much water pipe will have) or location relative case?

ms2005

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Long runs of hose give lots of friction and slow the water flow. This reduces cooling flow. If the rad is much below the pump, you get cavitation due to low pressure at the pump inlet which causes pump damage, rad high tends to have air come out of solution and form air pockets in the rad which reduces cooling surface area.

Hoshimoto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
Long runs of hose give lots of friction and slow the water flow. This reduces cooling flow. If the rad is much below the pump, you get cavitation due to low pressure at the pump inlet which causes pump damage, rad high tends to have air come out of solution and form air pockets in the rad which reduces cooling surface area.
Oh give this physics lesson to someone else, this sounds fabulous i assume you never checked this on practice dont you?

iMatt711

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
ok in life this is how things work, and i'm not talking about luck or odds here, i'm talking about technology and design. If it works on paper, it wont necessarily work in practice. If it doesnt work on paper, it will almost never work in practice> I'm not saying your an idiot whatsoever, just your idea hasnt been thoroughly thought out.

iMatt711

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Ok, well good luck with that i wouldnt do it, but its your decision. However one last thing, if your going to do this go build a cheap computer to test this on. If it works you can sell the cheap one on eBay, if not well at least you didnt kill your main system.

Hoshimoto

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
What exactly should kill it again? If i gona have dust filter and no water or snow will come in.
I heard some peeps hold theyr pc's outside window cuz overclocked and they still fine why my uber pipe should kill it?

jonkclark

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
While I can appreciate the ingenuity of the idea and the theory behind it sounds good I do have a question... What to do in summertime when the outside air is As hot as or hotter than the air in your PC? Or is this just a cold weather fix?

pcsteve

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I did something similar a couple of years ago. I used 2 pipes, one "air in" and the other (obviously) "exhaust". The inlet, I connected to the front fan grill in the case. The exhaust I connected to the dual 80mm fans on the back of my case. 2 X 80mm exhaust fans did all the work (circulation). Pipes were from a tumble dryer venting kit. Sealed the extra vent holes in my case so that the air was "force fed" from the pipe
Made a difference of about 8-10 degrees C to my components. Definitely worth going for mate.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Yeah, like pcsteve I think dryer tubing would work well. I've also considered doing this, but my wife won't allow tubing around the den just to cool the computer down :(. Oh well.
As for the water cooling, 2005's right. Longer tubes=more friction. Cavitation is a very serious problem. Can ruin a pump in days.
Anyway, with a dust filter you shouldn't have any problems. Condensation occurs on cold things, so as long as your computer is warmer than the incoming air, no water will form on it. Good luck.