OCZ or Enermax

doncorleone

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
hey guys, im searching for a new PSU and i dont know wich one to buy. I dont need too much power, something around 450W and im hesitating between these two models:

Enermax Noisetake 485W
OCZ Modstream 450W

So what are your thoughts?

Mvmajorem

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I'd shoot for OCZ Power Stream.

I have a bad feeling but the quality of Enermax has gone down the past years, or does it seem that the competition has caught up with them.

You can check the link from TG

TG Stress PSU Review

jokersgrin

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
I know its a good psu, but its modular that introduces more noise in the rails.
That and those cables are stiff has a corpse :lol: Also I have seen them come loose while messin around in the case and a buddy not know it...etc etc
Now that is what I have seen from several of those psu's, I just perfer the powerstream over the mod stream!!

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
hey guys, im searching for a new PSU and i dont know wich one to buy. I dont need too much power, something around 450W and im hesitating between these two models:

Enermax Noisetake 485W
OCZ Modstream 450W

So what are your thoughts?

I prefer definitively ENERMAX than OCZ !!!

Why 485 Watts, when 600 W is a lot quiter!
Today you might need about 450W but you should always have reserve for any expansions at any time. I like about 25-30 % reserve for all and any needs!
Love to have PF 1.25 at least.

I opted for ENERMAX Noisetaker EG701AX-VE and not Liberty!
Excellent and wishper quiet! More than pleased, I am using only ENERMAX for past 5 years. Excellent service at all time.

Test Results - Quiet Operating Noise, Top Values Under Maximum Load
ENERMAX Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W): Perfect Connections and Quiet

24 hours of continuous stress passed by the Enermax without a trace. All measurements and also the specification of a combined load coincided with the specification. Consequently, the Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W)emerges from the test once again with good values - during the last comparative test there were similarly good results. Here, the competition should learn from the example, above all from the voltage values of the individual lines. Here, the 12 volt bar should be mentioned, which was determined to be exactly 12 volts and consequently right in the middle of the tolerance range. The very high efficiency of 80.2 percent and the quiet operating noise were noticeable.

After 24 hours under high load, the power supply unit from Enermax seems to be as fresh as when it started: The measurement results are within the specification and the power ratings coincide with those of the manufacturer. Also as a result of past tests, the Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W) is known for its outstanding performance.

OCZ Power Supply

Tomshardware:

.."And how do things work out in actual practice? Power supply buyers and shoppers are generally naïve, trusting manufacturer claims blindly. As our test however reveals, these maximum output specifications are problematic - even in the upper price ranges.
The "500 watts" stated, referring to the combined performance of the individual cables, fails by a long shot to reflect actual performance. And for users it is nearly impossible to check these performance specifications. This is why numerous manufacturers do not hesitate to use exaggerated wattage specifications in promoting their products to trump similar claims by competitors."..

Coolergiant EG485AX-VHB(W)

The manufacturer Enermax is already one of the veterans when it comes to the power supply business. In contrast to its numerous competitors who have since joined the ranks, the Enermax is not one of those companies who seek to pull in high margins for the short term. After all, the manufacturer has been fetching a high margin for some time now. At first glance, the power supply unit is stands out for its red color. The fan speed can be adjusted manually although at high load the unit takes over regulation itself in order to deaden temperature peaks in the end. Interestingly, the Enermax is equipped with a follow up control so that the components are protected after turning off the system.

Power Factor Correction

The power factor shows how much your PSU distorts the power drawn from the mains. This kind of displacement is also known as the Cosine of phi. Ideally it would be 1.00 (no displacement or distortion) but none of the PSU is able to manage that. Enermax achieves top values here. Fortron, however, is not very convincing. But bear in mind that Fortron is the only PSU in this roundup that is completely silent due to passive cooling.

OCZ: SWITCHED OFF

Among all the candidates we've tested so far, OCZ really takes the prize. Not only is it possible to manually adjust the voltages of the individual rails, but the manufacturer also touts a turbo mode of sorts with which the 600W PSU can temporarily deliver up to 700 watts' worth of juice. Here, the marketing heads were obviously allowed to cloud the engineers' judgment. That's because any change in the voltages of the individual rails can lead to destruction of the system components. OCZ argues that especially modders showed great interest in that feature... The kicker is that OCZ advertises the fact that any such adjustment will result in its warranty being null and void. The device is not to be had for a song and requires an investment in the neighborhood of $250. OCZ has a solid reputation in the overclocking scene thanks to its very good memory modules.

Test Results
We had problems with testing our first sample and are working with the manufacturer on the reasons why. In the meantime, OCZ representatives have told us the following:

"We are proactively working with the editors at Toms Hardware Guide to understand what happened to the PowerStream test units during the "Live Stress Test." These units were tested under full load in our facility for 48 hours prior to being sent to Germany. We have also not witnessed any of these anomalies with customers in the field. To proactively address the issue the power supplies are being sent back to our labs in the United States for a complete diagnosis. OCZ remains committed to the design and manufacture of high end power supplies that address the unique needs of gamers, high power users, and enthusiasts."

What power supplies others are using for tests?

In order to test power consumption, we used our trusty SeaSonic PowerAngel watt monitoring unit which our systems were plugged into. The PowerAngel monitors the entire system's power (not just the CPU), but we can certainly see how much power the CPU consumes in comparison to the rest of the components below. Each system was loaded with identical hardware, that being 1 GB of memory over 2 x DDR modules, a GeForce 6800 Ultra 256 MB PCI Express graphics card, a single Raptor 74 GB SATA hard drive and a Plextor DVDRW unit.
All were powered by an Enermax Noisetaker 2.0 600W power supply.

Dual Core Done Right : AMD’s Athlon64 X2 Processors

If the test sample was troublesome why other units shouldn't?