I have an Hp 970 printer. The printer does not print after I changed
the black ink. Does the color ink cartridge need to be change also for
it to print? The color ink cartridge is also empty.

It will not print if either cart is seen as "empty".

"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
> "www.mo-de.net" <nospam@.mo-de.net> wrote in message
>> I have an Hp 970 printer. The printer does not print after I changed
>> the black ink. Does the color ink cartridge need to be change also for
>> it to print? The color ink cartridge is also empty.

> It will not print if either cart is seen as "empty".

That is not quite true. Either or both cartridges may be empty and the printer
will still print (or try to). There are some electrical checks the printer
performs before printing, and if either cartridge has too many shorted or open
lines the cartridge may be rejected. For starters, open the lid and see these
the carriage moves. There are a series of icons molded into the top of the
case that indicate all ok, black or color low on ink (which is a warning only,
will not affect printing) and black or color problem. If either the black or
color cartridge indicate they are defective I would start by removing that
cartridge and cleaning the contacts as shown at:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02060.

If the carriage points to the "happy face" icon then check the following for
tips on addressing blinking lights:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=60097&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bpd09170.

Regards,

I have a HP 710C the colour cartridge is empty and it prints ok with only
the black cartridge not empty.

www.mo-de.net wrote:
> I have an Hp 970 printer. The printer does not print after I changed
> the black ink. Does the color ink cartridge need to be change also for
> it to print? The color ink cartridge is also empty.
Thanks all for you suggestions.

Dan G wrote:
> It will not print if either cart is seen as "empty".
>

> "www.mo-de.net" <nospam@.mo-de.net> wrote in message
>
>>I have an Hp 970 printer. The printer does not print after I changed
>>the black ink. Does the color ink cartridge need to be change also for
>>it to print? The color ink cartridge is also empty.

Not true. It just tells you the cartridge(s) is/are empty.