SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
1. seagate(5 year warranty)
2.western digital(dont break)
3.hitachi(ok)
4.maxtor(break alot)

thats just my opinion!

had my maxtors for 2 years Now (i think lol) and they still run. Given they are flaky as hell bc they are Diamondmax 10's on a Nforce 4 chipset but whatev they still run.

AngelDeath82

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
If you're going to get a Maxtor, I would recommend a MaxLine III drive (server-class hard drive w/ 5 YR warranty). They typically aren't too much more than a desktop-class drive of the same capacity. About the best price-point MaxLine III right now is the 7V300F0 (300GB, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache, SATA 3.0Gbps, NCQ, ROHS compliant).

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
no way maxtor crashes more often than any other hd in every comp i fixed

I'm curious to know what that meant. I've used thousands of harddrives in my life, and I can say that Maxtor drives are able to withstand the most beating. I did have a Maxtor die on me, but that was because it was an external drive attached to a server that was written to 24/7 w/o airflow, the enclosure got to over 140 degrees F, took 8 months of that 24/7 to kill it, that's a damn strong drive. Western Digital makes very fast drives, they are some of the best for RAID's. Hitachi Deskstar (or Deathstar as some call them) have been pretty reliable to me too. 160GB and 400GB Deskstars are the best, at least in my experience.

I can't say I've had problems w/ any drives, except the drives that Dell ships w/ their 4700 systems (countless drives dead) but that's because Dell doesn't even use normal parts IIRC, they use Sand and Intel to make their parts.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I've had flacky Maxtor, IBM, and WD drives.
The WD Caviar was like 8 years old, but new ones seems fast with good warrenty, so I will get a 10000 PRM Raptor 80 gig and see how that goes.
For my large drive, I will get a WD or Seagate SATA150

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Storage review has a large hard drive reliablity database. They force you to tell them about your drives and how long they lasted before you can use their service.

All the maxtors and western didigital that have died on me, have done so after their warranty has expired.

I owned a IMB deskstar, it was a flimsy POS from day 1, I won't even buy hitachi no since they purchased IMB's drive business.

Personally I only buy drives with 5 year warranties. And then I make sure they have adequate ventilation and are properly protected whenever I move them outside of a PC (anti static bag and wrapped in bubble wrap if they are going into a backpack).

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
well mike i've fixed so many dells that all used either maxtor for the budget comps or wd raptor for the xps 600 i had to fix last week when the os crashed on the half of the budget comps it was the hds fualt here read this(i'm the author) man maxtor does fail alot

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
well mike i've fixed so many dells that all used either maxtor for the budget comps or wd raptor for the xps 600 i had to fix last week when the os crashed on the half of the budget comps it was the hds fualt here read this(i'm the author) man maxtor does fail alot

Dam now you tell me!
o well so far so good my raptors doing well.
ive only had 1 hd fail on me in 20 years so i guess its a bit of luck or how you treat them

cheetsy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
ive had a few maxtor hdd's, still got 2 now, had one die, just over a year old, full too, grrr, im using western digitals for my boot drives now, and they seem fine, but they are only a couple of months old, i would suggest WD drives, but i dont have any issues with maxtor and my NF4 board, but maybe thats because im not booting off one

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I've fixed hundreds upon hundreds of busted drives, all brands fail, I've had more samsung, hitachi, maxtor, and ibm drives fail than seagate or wd, but not by any large margin. WD white label drives, usually marketed with other "retail" names fail a lot, they are rejected by wd and sent to overseas companies who remarked them back to the us.

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I'm booting off a WD 80GB 7200RPM... never had it fail yet, I've been using it daily all day (like 12 hours) for about 6 months. WD or Seagate, two really good brands. :)

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I've got some cheap 10 and 20 gig wd's in some of my servers for pagefile's and they've been running 24/7 for 3 years without a problem, don't need expensive drives for reliablility, just some good old fashion luck :)

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I have been using maxtor drives for the last 4 years without problems. I have seen lots of complaints about them, but mine have always worked well. Seagate is buying Maxtor, haven't heard if they are going to keep the Maxtor brand on the drives. I guess they saw something in the technology they liked though.

Maddad

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
from what i've heard from most people, maxtors like to overheat and don't last long. the only maxtor i have is like 10 years old, 500mb, so i can't talk from experience. I hace had a seatgate, 8gig, and 8 years old, so its not current but it still works perfectly and never gets hot, barly warm, and looks good too :D

i have always heard that wd has the best quality and close to best performance.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Yeah, I've read several articles that are slightly concerned with some of the surface temps of new hard drives which is why i started putting a single 80mm fan over my HDD's, just in case. I also broke my RAID array las tnight bc one of my maxtors was sounding iffy, so who knows.

CygnusX

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I have been running my home servers with WD drives 6x120 and 6x250 in 4 years of constant operation only one of the 120 gave up, i was able to get some data out of it before it died.

long before i got the server above i was running an oooold amd-200mhz with 16 mb ram...and 4x4.3gb maxtors in raid10, as firewall, ftp, mail and gateway(for 20 people, that use it daily), i built it about a year after the k6-200 mhz was released, and it is still running 24/7 for the 7th or 8th year but it is well cooled by 2x120mm fans.

at my former work the worst disk we ever had was deathstars 40gb...all 30 of them died within 4 motnhs of each other.

have had no problems with seagates except my 400gb external disk what a piece of sh*t..going into sleep mode while data is being moved ???

Wd is my personally preferred cause of the warrenty

but Maxtors are easy to come by in stores...Staples.com just had the 200 gb version for 40 bucks...at that price i dont care if it fails, as im now running 7 of them in raid5 with 1 hotspare which gives me a nice 1tb array

jeremy_pro

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I'm from Republic of Macedonia and here comes only the 'cheap shit'. In a computer studio 1/2 maxtor hdd breaks in 2 years(24/7 load).

snyper133

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I am a video editor and I use 4 250 GB Maxtor Harddrives as back up for my rig and over the last 2.5 years I have had zero problems with them. The Hard Drives are always on by the way. I do believe however that Hitachi drives are the most reliable my old Hitachi drive didnt die because of mechanical or electrical issues but because I upgraded to the WD Raptors.