Maxline3 320GB Never made? I have one. Any Gurus know origin

WINDOZESUK

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I have 2 Maxtor Hard Drives, both are the same model 7B320S0 - Maxline3 320 GB SATA150 7200RPM. I can't find info on these and I have been told there is no such thing. Are there any Hard Drive Gurus out there that know of this drive and what is the story with it. I did not purchase these from a store they were a gift from a friend who has no idea about them or where they came from, I know that sounds wierd but he is not very technically inclined and processes lots of hardware all day, so he doesn't really keep track of where everything came from.
Anyway no big deal, I just have a dead one and want to know background before trying RMA.
maxtor1.jpg

maxtor2.jpg

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
In some parts of the world counterfiet drives are very common. You buy a cheap brand and stick a $.10 label on it and suddenly its worth $100 more.

Go to their website, enter the serial number. If is a legit drive it will show up in the system even if the warranty expired.

They also have pictures of their lables.

Waranty Check

WINDOZESUK

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Thanks for the responses,

In some parts of the world counterfiet drives are very common. You buy a cheap brand and stick a $.10 label on it and suddenly its worth $100 more.

Go to their website, enter the serial number. If is a legit drive it will show up in the system even if the warranty expired.

They also have pictures of their lables.

Waranty Check

It is a Maxtor drive as the i am very familiar with thier drives, it shows up as a 7B320S0 in CMOS and has a maxtor housing and one works great, full capacity 320GB. The serial # returns error at thier site.

Why don't you just e-mail Maxtor about them?
That's what I will do, I just wanted more info on it before I spoke with thier RMA department, because I did not purchase the drive and if it was an OEM of some sort I wanted to know who from so I caould say that is where I got it, so they would give me a replacement. This is a 320 GB SATA drive, I didn't want to muck up the chance of getting a free replacement, ya know. But I'll just have to call maxtor and hope for the best.
Thanks for the responses

moparman390

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
I'm pretty sure that it is a counterfiet drive. I read an article on X-bit about this about a year or so ago that was about how there have been 320GB HDDs surfacing with the Maxtor name on them even though they never made a 320GB model. They just changed the sticker from cheap-o ones that were made to look like Maxtors, so I don't think you can RMA it. :cry: At least you didn't pay anything for it, right?