Sign in with
Your question

Users can't allow Adobe & Java updates, propmts for an admin login

Last response: in Windows 7
March 28, 2011 5:57:18 PM

I want my users to allow Adobe & Java updates but it keeps asking for an admin login. How do I set my Windows 7 PCs to allow users this simple task?
a c 372 $ Windows 7
March 28, 2011 8:20:04 PM

Give them admin rights, you can't install many programs as a non-admin. Or use a setup account and a package manager like SMS or LANDesk.
m
l
April 4, 2011 1:05:51 PM

well, we certainly aren't going to be given users admin rights. i might try the products you mentioned. thought maybe i could tweak something to allow an already installed program to update.
m
l
a c 233 $ Windows 7
April 4, 2011 3:05:42 PM

clarkcomputer said:
thought maybe i could tweak something to allow an already installed program to update.

The whole point of having access rights is to prevent access to files and programs. If a virus infects a standard user account it should not be able to write to the programs folder.
m
l
April 4, 2011 4:26:33 PM

i guess Windows 7 is just better a locking down things. User's permissions (access rights) haven't changed, but when we upgraded from XP to 7, they can no longer update
m
l
a c 233 $ Windows 7
April 4, 2011 4:32:57 PM

You probably all had administrator access in XP. XP didn't have as many programs that were written specifically as a muti-user system considering previous versions of windows were single user. Vista and Win7 forced a lot of people to program correctly for muti-user systems.
m
l
April 4, 2011 4:51:54 PM

if you mean local admin rights, no, the users didn't and nothing has changed with the groups they belong to in AD
m
l
a c 233 $ Windows 7
April 4, 2011 5:04:30 PM

Vista and Win7's UAC (user access control) is definately a stronger type of access compared to what XP had. You may be able to get away with lowering the UAC level or disabling it completey, though I don't recommend that.
m
l
January 18, 2013 4:46:00 PM

clarkcomputer said:
I want my users to allow Adobe & Java updates but it keeps asking for an admin login. How do I set my Windows 7 PCs to allow users this simple task?

bump!-- Did you, or anyone ever find an acceptable solution, or work around for this?

I have the exact same issue with my users, who are also joined to a domain, needing a way to be able to update Adobe Acrobot and Java without calling me to come type in the Administrator account passwrd every time an update is needed.

Thank you,
----------- Adam
m
l
February 3, 2013 1:39:22 PM

adamfoxdavis said:
bump!-- Did you, or anyone ever find an acceptable solution, or work around for this?

I have the exact same issue with my users, who are also joined to a domain, needing a way to be able to update Adobe Acrobot and Java without calling me to come type in the Administrator account passwrd every time an update is needed.

Thank you,
----------- Adam

yes & no. still have to type admin user name/pwd. found a 3rd party software solution, ninite, to push software updates across the network
m
l
February 4, 2013 4:50:45 PM

clarkcomputer said:
yes & no. still have to type admin user name/pwd. found a 3rd party software solution, ninite, to push software updates across the network

Thanks for your reply clarkcomputer, I also found ninite to be the recommended solution to this issue.

I am surprised that there are no end user workstation based solutions to allow updates. Every "solution" I have found has been a network management utility designed to push updates out across the LAN, or an install package manager.

-Adam
m
l
May 23, 2013 11:11:39 AM

Hi Adam,
Just wonder if you have found any solutions to that ?
I have same problem and I dont want to give admin rights.

Thx
m
l
!