Users can't allow Adobe & Java updates, propmts for an admin login

clarkcomputer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I want my users to allow Adobe & Java updates but it keeps asking for an admin login. How do I set my Windows 7 PCs to allow users this simple task?

clarkcomputer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
well, we certainly aren't going to be given users admin rights. i might try the products you mentioned. thought maybe i could tweak something to allow an already installed program to update.

The whole point of having access rights is to prevent access to files and programs. If a virus infects a standard user account it should not be able to write to the programs folder.

You probably all had administrator access in XP. XP didn't have as many programs that were written specifically as a muti-user system considering previous versions of windows were single user. Vista and Win7 forced a lot of people to program correctly for muti-user systems.

adamfoxdavis

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

bump!-- Did you, or anyone ever find an acceptable solution, or work around for this?

I have the exact same issue with my users, who are also joined to a domain, needing a way to be able to update Adobe Acrobot and Java without calling me to come type in the Administrator account passwrd every time an update is needed.

Thank you,
----------- Adam

clarkcomputer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

yes & no. still have to type admin user name/pwd. found a 3rd party software solution, ninite, to push software updates across the network

adamfoxdavis

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Thanks for your reply clarkcomputer, I also found ninite to be the recommended solution to this issue.

I am surprised that there are no end user workstation based solutions to allow updates. Every "solution" I have found has been a network management utility designed to push updates out across the LAN, or an install package manager.

-Adam