Status
Not open for further replies.

mechluke

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Guys i write this article in order to hear everyone's opinion about this.Gaming and pc i think is a very expensive sport.I have spent many money till now for my pc just to play games and i still can't have the results i am looking for.The ps3 will be much more powerful than any pc that exists today and it will cost only the fraction of the cost of a pc.I personally think that PCs will need at least two years of development for their hardware to be comparable of that to ps3.And i personally think that PCs are not for gaming purposes any more we pay too much to get too little.I personally will use my pc only for internet and office and head for ps3.What do you all think about it?

mechluke

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
With all due respect prozac but i totally disagree.The PS3 is vastly superior than any pc system today in every aspect.Perhaps you are not familiar with the hardware that ps3 incorporates.Has any pc-system today cpu with 7 cores?NO but ps3 has.The pc will need at least 2 years to compare with ps3 hardware.The pc is not a gaming machine we must all reealize that the pc architecture is not game-oriented like video consoles are.

enwelz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
With all due respect prozac but i totally disagree.The PS3 is vastly superior than any pc system today in every aspect.Perhaps you are not familiar with the hardware that ps3 incorporates.Has any pc-system today cpu with 7 cores?NO but ps3 has.The pc will need at least 2 years to compare with ps3 hardware.The pc is not a gaming machine we must all reealize that the pc architecture is not game-oriented like video consoles are.

its not 7 cores, its a cell proccessor, and CPU power is not all that counts in a video game.

dedla

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Most video game consoles now days aren't purely game-oriented either, so what're you trying to preach? Nintendo's the only company that still does pure game consoles, why aren't you comparing them to PCs?

Prozac has all the truths, and the main factor still stands, PCs are upgradable, in hardware and software. Companies don't exactly patch console games and fix bugs after they're released.

Look at HL2, upgraded and dated for 64 bit processing to optimise and run better. Consoles can't compare, just revise how they're programed for.

margav

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Hi, there was already a xbox360 vs ps3 thread HERE, and here is what have been said :
From what I have heard, around the Futuremark forums and other places. PS3's RSX is just a 7800GTX on 90nm. The Xbox 360's ATI GPU is as good/better as a x1900 XTX...so...which beats the 7800gtx.. And the cell is not 8 *true* cores. Its 1 fully functional core with 7 little cores which cant do much.

PS3 will be a tough machine, but dont forget GDDR4 is already developed by SAMSUNG, and it should be aboard the 8*** NVIDIA cards which are about to enter market soon I hope.

And say take a look at the intel road map, 4 cores very soon, about the same is AMD, and 4 quad graphics is just around the corner WITH 4 7800

And if you dont know about the developing of the computer speeds, it grows at an exponential scale, by the year 2020 ( I personally think earlier) the computer power should oertake brain power. while the console speeds normally tend to harvest the PC results. BUT thats just my opinion

enwelz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
all the specs for the 360(obviously) and the ps3 are set(both their GPU's were designed around the same time and will be fairly comperable like the 7800gtx and the ati 1900), and they are going to be very similar in performance, just like the xbox and ps2. Thats my prediction.

dedla

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Calm down Strange, not everyone who sees videogames understands the ungodly versitility and usefulness of playing with a mouse, or 101+ customisable keys. :p

Think about it though mechluke, Strange just posted what I was about to type. IF they had some advanced GPU tech they'd damn sure bring it out on the PCs first to show up the rival. If you hadn't noticed ATI and nvidia are waging WW3.

At best the PS3 might come out with something more powerful than the 360 because they don't even have a launch date yet, but it won't be better than the next gen of GPUs either graphics giant has lined up.

mechluke

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Guys please i have not declared the war against PCs but i really do think that next-gen video game consoles are a better choice for gaming.Also i have to say that the original x-box is equipped with a pathetic geforce 2 but the graphics it can produce are still decently good.Tell me if there is any pc with a geforce 2 today and even if there was any the results would be disappointing.Many have written in your replies that the cpu plays no role in gaming performance.Ok if this is true i can equip my ancient 486 dx2-66 with a geforce 7800gtx 512mb and have amazing performance.ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.I still insist that ps3 is many times better than any pc that exists today but i agree that PCs will eventually keep up with PS3 in the future.I would also like to note that it is absolutely ridiculous to spend 3000 euros for a pc just to play games decently for 6 months until NVIDIA releases its next super chip and intel her next pentium processor.

Furbitor

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Well all that arguement above aside.. While no doubt the PS3 will be uite a nice machine, Its limited in quite a huge way. Can you add a Burner? NO, Could you connect a Musical instrument and compose you heart away? (not those imatation toy sets either) NO.... I could go on and on but fact remains:

While the PS3 will be a good( ok Awesome console) gaming machine..
It can never hope to be a computer, with the wide expansionabilty a pc brings to bear.

The innovations of chips are largely due to the drive of enthusiatists, who continue to purchase the next greatest thing. Leaps in video card/GPU design are driven by PC systems, Consoles use whats available.

Ok Pop question: Remember those $700 dollar game consoles from years ago? Vetrex I think? Wanna know why it died a horrible death?

Price point. didnt matter if it was cool... or that it used a 3d engine....
It costs too much.

Console makers arent going to put the latest ATI or Nvidia GPU in ANY console... it raises the price too much. Instead, your gonna recieve last years or later version, drivers stable, a proven platform.. to power those "super-graphics" your console is supposed to bear.

Built by the lowest bidder, Sony is out for Profits.

Now a PC, built by yourself, can be outfitted with thousands of concevable configurations, expandable for your own desire, and costs exactly as much as your willing to pay.

Sure you have to bring some brain-power to the table, like basic skills of comp-building , but there is sites and books to help you if you dont have a guru around to teach.

then you can see gaming at its best.

Good luck, Enjoy your Ps3, and you can use the local library's filtered-to -death comps to reply/post to yours hearts desire! :roll:

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
PS3 might be faster than most high end computers when it comes out. It should be, otherwise no one is going to buy it. But its not comparable to a computer other than gaming. There's a reason why pc's are expensive, it can do pretty much everything and PS3 can only play games and online thing. But by the end of this year pc would be twice as fast than todays high performance pc. But I'm buying the PS3 when it launches even though I only play couple of games on it.

sleepdeprived82

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Pc all the way, ps3 will soon be out dated.

Hell I was just reading that the ps3 uses the new 7900 core which may just be better than the x1900xt which we can already get. It may not even be able to beat the x1900, so its graphics are already beaten even by the pc before its release.

Europe isnt even going to get the ps3 untill 2007 thats what at least 2 generations of graphics cards that will be released before europe gets it.
That means by the time we get it it will be 2 or 3 generations graphics wise out of date. NICE.

I will agree the ps3 is a nice rig for the price, but its to limited for me.

PC all the way

pauldh

Illustrious

You have bitten into the hype of 3 core or 7 cell cpu's and theoretical performance. A single core A64 > the multicore / cells in the Xbox 360 and PS3.

read this thread for info snagged off of Anandtech before the article was pulled:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=83872&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=xenos&start=0

Note some quotes that were in that article:

"The most ironic bit of it all is that according to developers, if either manufacturer had decided to use an Athlon 64 or a Pentium D in their next-gen console, they would be significantly ahead of the competition in terms of CPU performance."

"We already know that's not the case as game developers have already told us that the Xenon CPU isn't even in the same realm of performance as the Pentium 4 or Athlon 64. "

"The Cell processor is no different; given that its PPE is identical to one of the PowerPC cores in Xenon, it must derive its floating point performance superiority from its array of SPEs. So what's the issue with 218 GFLOPs number (2 TFLOPs for the whole system)? Well, from what we've heard, game developers are finding that they can't use the SPEs for a lot of tasks. So in the end, it doesn't matter what peak theoretical performance of Cell's SPE array is, if those SPEs aren't being used all the time."

"Right now, from what we’ve heard, the real-world performance of the Xenon CPU is about twice that of the 733MHz processor in the first Xbox. Considering that this CPU is supposed to power the Xbox 360 for the next 4 - 5 years, it’s nothing short of disappointing. To put it in perspective, floating point multiplies are apparently 1/3 as fast on Xenon as on a Pentium 4.
The reason for the poor performance? The very narrow 2-issue in-order core also happens to be very deeply pipelined, apparently with a branch predictor that’s not the best in the business. In the end, you get what you pay for, and with such a small core, it’s no surprise that performance isn’t anywhere near the Athlon 64 or Pentium 4 class.
The Cell processor doesn’t get off the hook just because it only uses a single one of these horribly slow cores; the SPE array ends up being fairly useless in the majority of situations, making it little more than a waste of die space. "

"Although both manufacturers royally screwed up their CPUs, all developers have agreed that they are quite pleased with the GPU power of the next-generation consoles. "

"Just because these CPUs and GPUs are in a console doesn't mean that we should throw away years of knowledge from the PC industry - performance doesn't come out of thin air, and peak performance is almost never achieved. Clever marketing however, will always try to fool the consumer."

Edit: forgot this one in the conclusion:
"And that's what we have here today, with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Both consoles are marketed to be much more powerful than they actually are, and from talking to numerous game developers it seems that the real world performance of these platforms isn't anywhere near what it was supposed to be. "

And it's that marketting and hype that you bit into. The GPU's in both consoles are nice to see, but the cpu's don't live up to the hype. Don't expect the PS3 to pawn a high end PC.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
We're talking about 7 cores that have so little processing power, one single core on my X2 could probably outperform them. Also, I a single 7800 GTX isn't going to do shit compared to dual X1900 XTXs, or any other SLI rig.
PS3 will be a tough machine, but dont forget GDDR4 is already developed by SAMSUNG, and it should be aboard the 8*** NVIDIA cards which are about to enter market soon I hope.
DDR4 will not even be available for the PS3. Hell, the PS3 is only using DDR3 at 700 MHZ (Effective speed).

riva2model64

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
i hear that the PS3 was initially designed to run at the HD res of 1080p,

but the hardware wasn't powerful enough so they changed it to upscaled 1080i

im not sure if this is true though

and people, even thouigh the XBOX 360 and PS3 are trying to integrate PC features on to their gaming machines, they weren't designed to replace PCs, and they won't any time soon. so you can't really compare the two. its like comparing apples and oranges.

im not getting an XBOX 360 because i already have a PC (the good games on the XBOX are already on the PC! like Call of Duty 2 and Oblivion, so whats the point!)

i don't plan to get a PS3, unless the games i desperately seek are on it.

Hawk_Eye

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I have seen what PS3 can do, it's dazzling. My friend works for EA as a game programmer and he saw PS3 demo and he too thought that PS3 rocks.

As we all know (or should know), the entertainment value of 3D games do not come from the platform that you are using to play the game. IMO, the value comes from the game itself. No matter how good PC gfx and cpu get, we will "never" see games such as Devil May Cry 4 or Final Fantady 13 on PC. Fun and playable games make the system more attractive, not the other way around.

PC games are awsome; very interactive with sophisticated controls. Comparing PC games vs PS3 is like comparing hot burnette and hot blonde girl. Both are hot, just different flavor. :)

But, if I had to choose between PS3 and PC, I would chose PS3, simply because it is cheaper than an ultra performance gaming PC and it would look pretty awsome on 60" HD widescreen TV.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I have seen what PS3 can do, it's dazzling. My friend works for EA as a game programmer and he saw PS3 demo and he too thought that PS3 rocks.

As we all know (or should know), the entertainment value of 3D games do not come from the platform that you are using to play the game. IMO, the value comes from the game itself. No matter how good PC gfx and cpu get, we will "never" see games such as Devil May Cry 4 or Final Fantady 13 on PC. Fun and playable games make the system more attractive, not the other way around.

PC games are awsome; very interactive with sophisticated controls. Comparing PC games vs PS3 is like comparing hot burnette and hot blonde girl. Both are hot, just different flavor. :)

But, if I had to choose between PS3 and PC, I would chose PS3, simply because it is cheaper than an ultra performance gaming PC and it would look pretty awsome on 60" HD widescreen TV.

Just as a general reply, a PS3 can't out perform a PC. There is just too much raw power and flexiblity inherent to the platform. I like the post that cut through all the marketing BS, ty for that.

It would make 0 business sense to sell something that can outperform a Pc for $400 (just guessing at ps3 pricetag). A high end pc can go for 2500-3500 (excluding over the top crap like WC/Phasechange and the like), so why would Sony not put the PS3 at say $2000 and make it an exceptionaly profitable item if it can outperform desktops? The reason: it can't.

PC's will always be able to outperform consoles, but they will cost your more. However, built into that is the cost of flexiblity, upgrade paths, updates, and each company's profits. Try to browse the internet, rip some music, play BF2, and then do some CAD on a console. YOu can't, just because a console is so specificly taylored that the hardware makes it impossible.

Consoles will always have thier nitche, there is no doubt of that. I will conceed that they are easier to carry and tote around for the most part. Also, they look really nice on big screen tv's, but that is mainly because most of us dont want to plan our workstation around the ability to connect our 7800 GTX's to a Plasma tv also.

Just as a final note.... try and watercool a console then overclock it? D'oh you cant. Point made, for what they are, consoles are a nice value but they can't replace a PC.

cherrion

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
But PC's are constantly improving while consoles stand still for about 5 years. The GPU in the ps3 is known to by a cut down GeForce 7800 (that info was leaked by a Nvidia spokesperson). The ps3 can have a great CPU but unless the games are coded to use it it will be no better than any other console. Game programmers are having a hard time makeing games for it as the CPU is to complex. If you ask me the PC industry will beat the ps3 in a few months(Or wheh we can but Quad SLI).

cleeve

Illustrious
PS3 will be nice, but within 6 months a videocard will come out that will make it look like child's play.

Consoles are for gamers who don't want to mess with computers, and that's fine. But as long as they keep pushing PC technology, PCs will be king.

Hawk_Eye

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I have seen and played Dead or Alive 4 for XBOX 360 on SONY 40" BRIAVA (spell). It was awsome. Those of you who are into Final Fantasy or Capcom games, PS3 will be soooo bloody awsome.

While you PC freaks out there worrying about the performance of your current 3d-gfx card on FEAR or QUAKE4 and trying to figure out "the best" OC config., PS3 or xbox users will be playing one more round of their favorite games!

nuff said!

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
too bad sony and M$ are bastards and have all the good game companies making all the best titels CONSOLE ONLY . gay douches.

STARCRAFT FTW

WHEN THE HELL IS SC2 going to be announced..

Shad

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

You're an idiot. Plain and simple. The PC isn't a gaming machine? You've got to be kidding. Also, the PS3 is not superior to any pc system today. I bet you any money that you could build a PC that could blow the shit out of the PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.