question about returning an inkjet printer

I ordered a Canon PIXMA ip8500 from Costco.com and received it today in
the mail. It was defective right out of the box. When I turned it on
the printer head moved to the left and started grinding. After spending
an hour running through all the typical head cleaning jazz, I called
Canon Tech Support and he told me to return it to place of purchase and
tell them it is a defective unit. My question is... I already removed
all the protective tape and plastic pieces from the ink tanks so they
will probably end up throwing them away when it arrives for servicing.

If Canon is just going to throw them away I should be able to hold on
to them for my replacement printer. I asked the Tech Support guy what
they do with these used ink tanks and he said he didn't know, that they
probably threw them away at the repair facility. He knew what I was
getting at but didn't come out and say, "yeah man, you can probably
hold on to them"

Has anyone here returned a printer without the ink tanks? What are the
chances I would be charged if the tanks aren't included?
Thanks for any experiences or advice...
11 answers Last reply
More about question returning inkjet printer

    Art,

    Thanks for the advice. I will probably end up keeping the ink tanks but
    will not be surprised if I am charged for them.

    That got me thinking safetymom...

    I called Canon Support and they said they don't require the ink tanks
    to be returned with the defective unit! I specifically told him that I
    was returning a defective printer and did they require the opened ink
    tanks to be in the box with the printer. He said no they don't.

    It sounds like they would end up throwing them away anyways at the
    repair facility.

    Keep in mind you are not returning the printer to Canon, but to Costco.

    Although often manufacturers will tell you NOT to send the accessories
    back to them (Even as far as the wall wart conversion transformer,
    assorted cables, manuals, etc.) I assume to save the shipping costs, and
    because they replace these when they refurb the machines, I have no
    idea what Canon's policy is, nor what they tell Costco to do.

    In general, retailers take it seriously when they say "return the
    product with ALL accessories and packing". Some will refuse the return
    otherwise, some will take it off the refund value, and some will just
    ignore the situation.

    You could try asking Costco what their policy is regarding inkjet
    returns. Don't, however, be surprised if they tell you they want
    everything back. Either that, or take the risk, but don't get upset if
    they reduce your refund by their value.

    Art

    brimac32@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I ordered a Canon PIXMA ip8500 from Costco.com and received it today in
    > the mail. It was defective right out of the box. When I turned it on
    > the printer head moved to the left and started grinding. After spending
    > an hour running through all the typical head cleaning jazz, I called
    > Canon Tech Support and he told me to return it to place of purchase and
    > tell them it is a defective unit. My question is... I already removed
    > all the protective tape and plastic pieces from the ink tanks so they
    > will probably end up throwing them away when it arrives for servicing.
    >
    > If Canon is just going to throw them away I should be able to hold on
    > to them for my replacement printer. I asked the Tech Support guy what
    > they do with these used ink tanks and he said he didn't know, that they
    > probably threw them away at the repair facility. He knew what I was
    > getting at but didn't come out and say, "yeah man, you can probably
    > hold on to them"
    >
    > Has anyone here returned a printer without the ink tanks? What are the
    > chances I would be charged if the tanks aren't included?
    > Thanks for any experiences or advice...

    Even manu. ask for the ink tanks back. At the retail level they would need
    them also.

    brimac32@yahoo.com wrote:
    > That got me thinking safetymom...
    >
    > I called Canon Support and they said they don't require the ink tanks
    > to be returned with the defective unit! I specifically told him that I
    > was returning a defective printer and did they require the opened ink
    > tanks to be in the box with the printer. He said no they don't.
    >
    > It sounds like they would end up throwing them away anyways at the
    > repair facility.

    I know you are "Honest" and wouldn't think of trying to get some extra
    ink tanks "for your trouble" during this return of product, or return of
    *most* of the product..

    It would seem to me that *whoever* you are returning this contraption to
    is the final authority on what should or should not be included in the
    return.

    *Whoever* you are returning this contraption to...... which is not the
    same as wohover they return this contraption to.

    I suppose that I too would like to keep the inktanks "for my trouble",
    but that may not be an allowed part of the return game.

    JIm

    Keepsake gift for young girls.
    Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
    Builds strong minds 12 ways.
    Guaranteed satisfaction
    - courteous money back
    - keep bonus gifts

    http://www.alicebook.com

    Please see my previous post stating that I called Canon Technical
    support and specifically asked them if they required the ink tanks back
    for the return of a defective unit. He said NO -- case-closed, I
    already returned it this morning to Costco and one of the returns
    employees took everything out of the box with me standing there and
    didn't mention anything about the ink tanks and I got a full refund.

    I can't see how that is in any way dishonest. It would have been
    dishonest if I had said the ink tanks were inside the printer if asked.
    But I wasn't asked anything about the ink.

    When Canon gets a defective unit back I bet they will throw the ink
    away and start with fresh tanks for their troubleshooting. After all
    they are $12 retail per tank which means they probably cost Canon about
    $4-5 (probably less) to produce.

    Can't speak to Canon but Epson tells you to return the ink carts. They do
    give you new ones.

    "jbuch" <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net> wrote in message
    > brimac32@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> That got me thinking safetymom...
    >>
    >> I called Canon Support and they said they don't require the ink tanks
    >> to be returned with the defective unit! I specifically told him that I
    >> was returning a defective printer and did they require the opened ink
    >> tanks to be in the box with the printer. He said no they don't.
    >>
    >> It sounds like they would end up throwing them away anyways at the
    >> repair facility.
    >>

    > I know you are "Honest" and wouldn't think of trying to get some extra ink
    > tanks "for your trouble" during this return of product, or return of
    > *most* of the product..
    >
    > It would seem to me that *whoever* you are returning this contraption to
    > is the final authority on what should or should not be included in the
    > return.
    >
    > *Whoever* you are returning this contraption to...... which is not the
    > same as wohover they return this contraption to.
    >
    > I suppose that I too would like to keep the inktanks "for my trouble", but
    > that may not be an allowed part of the return game.
    >
    > JIm

    > Keepsake gift for young girls.
    > Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
    > Builds strong minds 12 ways.
    > Guaranteed satisfaction
    > - courteous money back
    > - keep bonus gifts
    >
    > http://www.alicebook.com

    You will probably find Costco.com requires the ink, they may want test the
    printer before they send it back to canon, if you dont suply the carts
    (specialy as it a brand new printer that hasnt worked since opening) they
    will say you havnt returned all parts of it and either not accept the return
    till the carts sen tback or charge you for replacements

    I have NEVER heard of the manufacture requesting the ink tanks back unless
    it is to investigate a potential manufacture issue.

    "Safetymom123" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > Even manu. ask for the ink tanks back. At the retail level they would
    > need them also.
    >

    > <brimac32@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Art,
    >>
    >> Thanks for the advice. I will probably end up keeping the ink tanks but
    >> will not be surprised if I am charged for them.

    The Canon tech rep should have NEVER referred you back to the retailer. If
    you have not already returned the unit to Costco, call Canon back and
    request the unit be replaced under the Instant Exchange warranty option. If
    it is a current model (which the ip8500 is) and the was purchased within the
    past 30 days they will exchange new for new and send the replacement to your
    door via Next Day Air.
    You also do not have to return the ink tanks, but all other items including
    print head should be returned.

    >I ordered a Canon PIXMA ip8500 from Costco.com and received it today in
    > the mail. It was defective right out of the box. When I turned it on
    > the printer head moved to the left and started grinding. After spending
    > an hour running through all the typical head cleaning jazz, I called
    > Canon Tech Support and he told me to return it to place of purchase and
    > tell them it is a defective unit. My question is... I already removed
    > all the protective tape and plastic pieces from the ink tanks so they
    > will probably end up throwing them away when it arrives for servicing.
    >
    > If Canon is just going to throw them away I should be able to hold on
    > to them for my replacement printer. I asked the Tech Support guy what
    > they do with these used ink tanks and he said he didn't know, that they
    > probably threw them away at the repair facility. He knew what I was
    > getting at but didn't come out and say, "yeah man, you can probably
    > hold on to them"
    >
    > Has anyone here returned a printer without the ink tanks? What are the
    > chances I would be charged if the tanks aren't included?
    > Thanks for any experiences or advice...

    I do not wish to make this into WW III. Omission could be a form of
    dishonesty...

    However:

    In a perfect world you could have asked the Costco employee if there was
    any problem with you keeping the inks since Canon told you they did not
    need them and would only discard them anyway, and in a perfect world the
    Costco guy would have stated it didn't matter to them if Canon didn't care.

    We do not live in a perfect world... look what happened in the last US
    and Ukrainian elections. I am not sure which one of those two is worse ;-)

    Art

    pscsace-e711@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Please see my previous post stating that I called Canon Technical
    > support and specifically asked them if they required the ink tanks back
    > for the return of a defective unit. He said NO -- case-closed, I
    > already returned it this morning to Costco and one of the returns
    > employees took everything out of the box with me standing there and
    > didn't mention anything about the ink tanks and I got a full refund.
    >
    > I can't see how that is in any way dishonest. It would have been
    > dishonest if I had said the ink tanks were inside the printer if asked.
    > But I wasn't asked anything about the ink.
    >
    > When Canon gets a defective unit back I bet they will throw the ink
    > away and start with fresh tanks for their troubleshooting. After all
    > they are $12 retail per tank which means they probably cost Canon about
    > $4-5 (probably less) to produce.

Printers Canon Inkjet Peripherals