I tried a SanDisk 1GB flash drive and it transferred 1GB of files in about 3 minutes. I checked the SanDisk website and my player already has the latest firmware. Maybe there's something wrong with my MP3 player?
1000MB/180seconds = 5.6MB/s = 44Mbps.
Since USB1's max is 12Mbps, you're running USB2.0.
Your issue is with your MP3 player. I'd suggest searching the web and try to find out what other people have done in your situation. It may be as easy as some setting in your MP3 player... Maybe its low on batteries...
I tried searching already, that's what brought me to this forum. I tried formatting the internal memory of the MP3 player and transferred the files again. It took about 8 minutes this time instead of about 25 or so. Still not great, but definately better.
Well that's a good improvement. Beware that if you're getting different timings, perhaps your MP3 player is fragmented (format should have fixed that) or your computer is too busy doing something else while transferring it.
For example, if you're transferring files to an external HDD and files to your MP3 player, its going to bottleneck. I don't know if you're doing something like that or not, but it could cause slowdowns.
I'd recommend trying to shut down your computer first. Then, plug in your peripheral into the USB 2.0 socket. Finally, load up windows. I've had the problem where I plugged in a scanner while my old computer was on and it intitialized at 1.1 speed but if have the scanner turned on and plugged in before the computer is turned on I get 2.0 speeds.
I'm back... haven't used the MP3 player for a while. Anyways, I tried transferring on another PC with USB2.0 and had the same results. It took just under 30 minutes to transfer about 1GB of music. It looks like the player is getting exchanged...
I believe your problem is in the way the application caches the files being transferred. It would really be a good idea to try 2 or 3 different apps to transfer those songs. I am sure you will see a difference in speed.