recomendation for simple VPN router?

picard

We have a small network at the office. We now need to get a VPN router
to allow remote users to connect to the network. At most we would have
5 users needing a remote VPN connection?

Anybody recently set one up?

How about Linksys BEFVP41 for the router?

Which VPN client should we use on the travelling notebook computers?
Would the one included with XP-pro work?

Any good tutorials giving step by step instructions on how to do this?

thanks!!

Why not use the VPN capabilities built into Windows?

Thanks

Jonathan

"picard" <jeanluc_picard_66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We have a small network at the office. We now need to get a VPN router
> to allow remote users to connect to the network. At most we would have
> 5 users needing a remote VPN connection?
>
> Anybody recently set one up?
>
> How about Linksys BEFVP41 for the router?
>
> Which VPN client should we use on the travelling notebook computers?
> Would the one included with XP-pro work?
>
> Any good tutorials giving step by step instructions on how to do this?
>
> thanks!!

I also recommend that approach.

Mike Schumann

"Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I also recommend that approach.
>
> Mike Schumann
>
> "Jonathan Roberts" <jmr504@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Why not use the VPN capabilities built into Windows?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jonathan

A biz friend asked me the same question -
I'm only familiar with our corp solution, which is using Cisco, Nortel,
etc -

Need a little help figuring out what's needed at each end
for a small office that has an NT server for file sharing in the office.
Is a VPN even required ?
There is a DSL line at the office for Internet access.
Laptop users at home, or travelling needs to access files from the
server... how ??

Scenario #1 - user at home, with DSL/Cable connection & probably a NAT
router

Scenario #2 - user travelling, with laptop and ??? type of connection

Configure the server to accept incoming VPN connections. PPTP works best
when you are going thru unknown NAT routers, which will be the case for your
users who are travelling.

Configure PPTP VPN connections on your laptops. After they connect to the
internet, connect the VPN connection, and your users will have the same
access to server resources as if they were on the LAN at the office.

Mike Schumann

"Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote in message

> "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I also recommend that approach.
>>
>> Mike Schumann
>>
>> "Jonathan Roberts" <jmr504@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Why not use the VPN capabilities built into Windows?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Jonathan
>> >

> A biz friend asked me the same question -
> I'm only familiar with our corp solution, which is using Cisco, Nortel,
> etc -
>
> Need a little help figuring out what's needed at each end
> for a small office that has an NT server for file sharing in the office.
> Is a VPN even required ?
> There is a DSL line at the office for Internet access.
> Laptop users at home, or travelling needs to access files from the
> server... how ??
>
> Scenario #1 - user at home, with DSL/Cable connection & probably a NAT
> router
>
> Scenario #2 - user travelling, with laptop and ??? type of connection

TRENDING THREADS