Can someone tell me what happened to my cool running D820

legato

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
I wrote a couple days ago about my darn good cooling with my cooler master hyper 48 on my D820. I had have a idle temp of 35C and a load of 55C. I thought it would do some good if I ran prime 95 to max out the processor to help cure the thermal paste(artic silver 5), but I was suprised to see my heatsink got hotter :x . My processor is now running at 44C idle and 60C full load (still not as hot as it once was with the stock hsf). I swear to god this is getting on my nerves never have I had this much touble with cooling a processor :evil: . If any of you Intel fanboys say try remounting the stock hsf I swear I will come through the monitor and beat you to death with there POS heatsink, same goes for those who would post get a AMD, cause that isn't helpful(funny :lol: but not helpful :cry: )
my specs:
antec tx640b case(120mm fan and 80mmX2 fans)
945psnlk intel mobo
hitachi 250GB 16mb cache
Cooler Master Hyper
D820(damn this thing is hot)

Luminaris, you and couple of others have dealt with this this before any tips( yes I have used artic silvers guide for there thermal paste installation).

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
HS Fan RPMs still strong?

When you had 35C and 55C full load, was your case at normal temp?

Is the room your PC is in warm or hotter then normal?

If you ran that prime 95, did you forget to take in account, the normal temp of the case when it has been running full throttle for a long period of time?

I'm on stock, but running Northwood 2.66 core, OC @ 2.90. Normal temps with AS5 applied, 41-43C idle. 55-57C load.

The Tower I have is made by Antec. 2 90mm front intakes, 2 90mm rear exhaust, 1 90mm side fan.

Dunno if that is any help.

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
60 degrees really is not that hot for a load temperature anyway. Its probably a fairly honest reading too, not like some motherboards, which underestimate by as much as 15 degrees.

People say that Prescotts are hot, but I've yet to find a processor where the heatsink is too hot to handle.

Hottest CPU I've ever had was a passively cooled 486, I think it was a DX33, heatsink on was hot enough to burn your hand on. Totally reliably though :)

legato

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
My room is the same temp, case temp is the same, all fans same rpm. I have actually a Northwood too 2.8ghz with stock(modified by lapping) to run at 25C idle and 38C load. But thanks for the speedy repose grimmy this lga775 socket got me puzzled, I am hit of miss. My friends got the same build and his is still running 35C(I built his too at the same time) I am starting to think it is either mobo or processor. But nothing is wrong but my temps I got(its not locking to throttling).

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Well, I've never dealt with a hot processor before because, I've never had one run hot. :wink:

Two things, one is, your suffering from an expand/contract situation there. More than likely, the HSF sounds like it is defective. The problem, the only way to tell is to inspect it. That particular unit uses an evaporation type system and I would'nt be surprised if one of the welds and/or pipes broke loose at some point. That type of thing will cause it to expand/contract more than normal causing it to unseat itself.

Second thing, the AS5 may need more time to settle in. I'm saying this as i'm not sure when you installed the unit. AS5 settles in as you start and shut down the machine over time. I think as I stated in issue in number one, the AS5 is not working properly.

Right now, that chip will handle those temps it is currently running. Run it for a couple more days and see if anything changes. If not, get a new HSF or reinstall the stock one using the AS5 and see what happens. Could be a bad sensor on the board too, never know. Make sure to inspect the feet and that they are seated properly on the board. Good luck with it and let me know the outcome

legato

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
well I install the Heatsink four days ago and as for your sec theory it might just be the ticket. God I hate all this running around, that and i have to remove everything again to check this out. I guess if it is the heatsink I'll return it to compusa and give the zalman 9500 a try :roll: .

legato

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
well i found that asking intel any questions is as helpful as asking a rock about any tips for cooling. They just said try reseating the HSF. Well I am going to inspect the coolermaster and try to re-install. Hey any one try thermaltakes water cooling kit.

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
well i don't know about that but maybe it's a mobo problem i have prescott 478skt but it's running in full load at 55/60 degrees wich it's not that bad with a stock cooler .. but i assembled a lot of those 775 and i've seen them going from temps around 42 degrees not in full load to 62 and more ... i think it depends from where the processor it's produced indonesia or costa rica. See if the paste layer you put on the chip isn't to thick, do tou have any more fans on the case because if you have fans putting air directly on to the processor that makes the cooling very defficient to ( i say that from my own experience) because that causes the air to disperse and the cooler to by unificient.

legato

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
Luminaris

You right. After I checked the heatsink i saw that this gray stuff seemed to leek out some of the heatpipes, that and my temp went up to 70C :cry: idle and once again i could feel all the heat around the processor again. I am going back to the store and getting the zalman9500
Guys wish me luck on this one( it seems I might have an intel curse where stuff just goes wrong rencently)

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
you know what i think happened i think that intel read your thread and didnt like it so they tracked you down waited for you to go to sleep broke into your house found your comp took off the heatsink replaced it with some cheap ass thermal compound and they reinstalled it got the temps up back to prescott standard and laughed saying that noone can have a cool running pentium noone!!!!! mwuhuhuhuhu hahahahaha mwuhuhuhuhuhuhu hahahahahahaha all while you were sleeping!(and yes i got some grass yesterday and i'm enjoying it now :wink: )

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
That's too bad man and let me tell ya, I've had some friends who have been in the same boat as you. At least you found the problem and the zalman solution should solve it. Good luck with it and let us know the outcome. :wink:

legato

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
Luminaris
I've been meaning to ask you what kind of case do you have your rig in. I now see that airflow can have a major impact for the Pentium D and the 630 series one of man friends has the same setup but with the stock fan in an antec P180 and gets a 36C. I know that it has four 120mm Fans, but it seems like that is necessary.

Btw I got the Zalman 9500, and just finished getting it into my case I had to do five modifications(one involving a dremel 8O scary) for it to fit into the case without problems. I'll be posting my temps shortly as soon as I finish organizing cable for better airflow.

Everyone please wish me luck(GOD KNOWS I NEED IT)

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I use Chieftec Dragon cases primarily because they do have high airflow and are built extremely well. High airflow for any processor is very important regardless of make. As I've stated in other threads, you install any processor correctly in a good environment and it will be a good performer and run cool.

Here's a link and good luck with it. That zalman cooler should do the trick for you.

http://www.chieftec.com/products/Workcolor/Dragon.htm

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
That's what my Antec Case looks like.. I still like it, compared to my other or previous cases I've seen/owned.

Though, I don't have a clear side panel, but could have brought that type for more cash. If I remember correctly, I paid 109 bucks for mine, with 430w PS. The clear panel, can't remember.. prolly was 10-15 bucks more? That was back in 2002 or 03.

Only thing I hated, was when I put the CDROM drive at the top bay, the door/cover wouldn't close, and broke real easy. I rebuilt the hinge, so the door doesn't fall off when I open it to power it on.. :lol:

legato

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
Thank the Gods of thermal :D
I have finally did it.
After install the 9500 zalman and on the lowest fan speed(my videocard fans is louder than this thing) my temps have dropped to 38-41C idle(yes I am using artic silver 5) :lol: . Through much pain, suffering, swearing, traveling, and researching(thanx guys), I've finally done it. Incase you guys are wwondering my room is an average of 75F-80F, case temp is currently 31-33C.
I mean wow this thing is really, really quiet. At first I thought I didnt plug in the fan(much quieter then the cooler master).

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Gratz Dude...

It's prolly a quite a large site to stare at it. I mean all that copper. Wonder how many pennies it takes to make one of dem??

:lol:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Ugh. I hate clear side panels. :lol: Not for appearance reasons. They look cool. But for RF interference reasons. Until I get away from a regular antenna (I.E. get cable or sat) I do not want my TV going all wonky every time my computer boots up. The ex's laptop was horrible in that respect. Drove me nuts. :lol:

Oh, I know, there are various RF coatings, honycomb layers, yada yada that real experts can look into. (I've always wondered how even a simple aluminum wire screen for a screen door with the edges sanded and soldered to the case would do.) But, meh. Easier just to not get the window in the first place. :D

legato

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
Was doing another overnight burning test again, once again I put full load both cores the temp was around 62C when I went to bed. When I woke up this morning my room was hot as hell but my cpu full load temp went down to 48C 8O . Thats pretty great considering how toasty my room got. I can't wait to see what temps will be like when the arctic silver is done breaking in. I'd recommend this heatsink to anyone worried bout there Pentium D high temps.

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Ugh. I hate clear side panels. :lol: Not for appearance reasons. They look cool. But for RF interference reasons. Until I get away from a regular antenna (I.E. get cable or sat) I do not want my TV going all wonky every time my computer boots up. The ex's laptop was horrible in that respect. Drove me nuts. :lol:

Oh, I know, there are various RF coatings, honycomb layers, yada yada that real experts can look into. (I've always wondered how even a simple aluminum wire screen for a screen door with the edges sanded and soldered to the case would do.) But, meh. Easier just to not get the window in the first place. :D

that explains why if we turn on the radio, you hear this shrill shrieking... and you can practically hear the mouse moving on the radio. I have to shut my computer off so we can listen to the radio :lol:

cool rig, Legato 8) hope you can overclock it good :)