Your question

Magnetic Media to be ancient history...

Tags:
  • Optical Media
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 20, 2006 3:34:07 PM

Has anyone seen the amazing stories about holographic media? Maxell expects to have thier first 1.6TB optical drive in Q4 2006.

Hard Drive manufacturers are claiming that they will hit 5 TB of capacity by 2010 with magnetic media.

Now imagine for a moment if a hard disc company invested in optical media. Seek time is mitigated mostly by the speed of the R/W magnetic head. Let's replace that with laser-capable DLP. We'll replace the 4 heavy magnetic platters with light-weight optical media. All and all, we'd be looking at a system capable of transfer rates in excess of 120MB/sec with seek times in ns instead of ms.

As the technology stands TODAY, holographic media does not require the media to be spinning, each disc stores 1.6 TB of data, and data transfer rates are around 120MB/sec. Imagine what this technology could be in 5 years if a 500lb gorilla picks it up?

The only drawback to using this media for fast R/W is that unlike a Hard Drive, you can't just read a singly byte at a time. Each hologpraphic image stores 40kb of data. This means if you're looking for a 2kb file read, then the entire 40kb will need to be read into a buffer first. Writing means that the image will need to be read, re-calculated, and then re-written (unless you want to SERIOUSLY fragment the drive). A huge cache and delayed writes could help this, but I'm just brainstorming here :)  Then again, at 40kb per laser-read, who knows what the burst transfer reads could be...

More about : magnetic media ancient history

February 23, 2006 9:30:30 AM

i bet prices so only worlds richest can get 1, then we will be overcharged when prices do come down , who needs 1.6tb anyway, nice idea when they come down in price, but they wud have to be same price as magnetic hdd's are these days to make me want one, u sound like the kind of guy that wud like to get to know more bout those carbon nanotube ram modules theyre planning for release within a year or two, i think toms hardware had a article on em . they can store 1terrabit on ur fingernail size or summat. and speeds more like processor cache, they can use less power, and they can hold data for months (at least) with no power - meaning u can put ur pc into 'sleep' state for months with out even being plugged in, then when u move the mouse it comes out of sleep exactly how u left it, but then again u might already know that, lol
!