Amd 64 3500+ Overclocking

Comp98

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
Corsair XMS Pro - 2 x 512mb + 2 x 1gb = 3gb
Running at 3-2-2 @ 2.7Volts
and of course: AMD 64 3500+ Venice overclocked to around 2.5

Okay so my system idles around 30-32 C ..... I could possibly push it further but I'm worried about the new 7800 GTX I just bought and heat issues. I'll probably need 500+Watts psu but I was wondering what are the average freq anyone is running with this cpu. My current power supply puts out around 500 watts but I'm worried about it's stability.....

FSB: ~1150
Multiplier: 9 x 279
1.4 volts

This aren't my exact specs...a few numbers might be off...I'll repost once I get off of work>>>>

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
I'm surprised you got the 1gbs and 512s to play nicely together. =)

Are you running with a divider then? My 4x512's won't run at a 400:333 divider with 1T timings lol.

Before anybody else comes a knockin...the fsb isn't running over 1000 heh. That's your ht. Your fsb is the 279. What i'd like to know, is what your memory is running at, as well as all of the timings (1T or 2T).

So that would give your ht a 1116...(279 x HTT 4). It might be a good idea to drop that to a HTT of 3. But i suppose if your mobo temps are good, it doesn't really matter.

Your 7800/cpu should be ok with decent out-take fans (what have you got pushing/pulling air from your computer?). I'm running 2 6800gts, and they're affecting the temp of my cpu by about 2-3c.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
All Venice cores run 2.8, no more on anything but liquid nitrogen. I do mean all. Set HTT to 3x and start moving up. Also, you will prob need about 1.5 voltage.

Comp98

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
my video card right now is the asus extreme N6800.....I just bought the 7800GTX and that should be coming in soon. (and thats where my main worries are)

My memory is running at 2-3-3-6 with a HT multiplier of 4 with 2.7 volts
Hypertransport: 1120mHz
Memory bus: 464mHz
I bought the same kind of Ram for my two 512's and two 1gig's.......they both run at the same timings...corsair xms pro

As for cooling, I have a front and side 120mm fan (intakes), a back 120mm fan (outtake), a PCI fan blower, and a Venus 12 CPU fan and heatsink (about 5,000 rpms).

I just installed some artic silver a few days ago so i'm letting my pc run day and night to break it in. Temps down to a stable 30.

harmonica

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
I overclocked on air.

cooling :
cpu : zalman CNPS 9500
graphics adapter : VF700-CU
case : 120 mm rear outtake fan + front intake without fan

cpu : amd athlon 64 3500+ newcastle
cpu-voltage : 1.632 volt
cpu core speed : 2600 Mhz
multiplier : *11
HTT : 236 Mhz

memory :
200 Mhz
CPU/13
CAS latency : 2.5 clocks
RAS to CAS delay : 4 clocks
RAS Precharge : 4 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) : 8 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (TRC) : 12 clocks
DRAM idle Timer : 16 clocks
T2 command

cpu temp idle : 30 C
cpu temp stress test prime95 : 50 C

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
I'd take AK's advice and move that HTT to 3. You don't want to burn out your mobo for no reason.

Go ahead and run a benchmark (of your own picking) of a before and after (in regards to the HTT multiplier). I'll bet there is almost no difference.

Ok 279:232 -> 558:464 -> 1116HT

kk

That's still a pretty damn impressive oc. Ok, your timings are 2 3 3 6...There's another timing that i'm interested in, it's the 1T/2T timing. I'd guess you're running 2T, since there hasn't been recording (that i've seen so far; even including the bh-x and tccd ram) of 2 sets of ram running at 200fsb 1:1 with the ram (or better in this case) at 1T. I think the only area you can check on that at, is in the bios, and most boards have that option...both my a8n-sli deluxe and my a8n-sli premium had that option, so i'm guessing you have it as well.

Fyi, those are two different kinds of ram. Corsair only labels and bins their ram, then don't create them. And the 2gb (2x1024) variety come from a special set of batches from mostly two manufacturs (in regards to perf ram). There are a ton of timings to be set in ram, and every set is different. We only get to tweak a few. That's why there are usually issues. Most performance ram has been tweaked to work a certain way, at very specific timings (which is why special sets are recommended rather then buying a bunch of singles). Which is why this is such an important find. If you've found a pair of 1gb modules that work well with some 512s then we aught to spread it around. It's not very often that we can find ram that works so well together.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I'd take AK's advice and move that HTT to 3. You don't want to burn out your mobo for no reason.

Go ahead and run a benchmark (of your own picking) of a before and after (in regards to the HTT multiplier). I'll bet there is almost no difference.

Ok 279:232 -> 558:464 -> 1116HT

kk

That's still a pretty damn impressive oc. Ok, your timings are 2 3 3 6...There's another timing that i'm interested in, it's the 1T/2T timing. I'd guess you're running 2T, since there hasn't been recording (that i've seen so far; even including the bh-x and tccd ram) of 2 sets of ram running at 200fsb 1:1 with the ram (or better in this case) at 1T. I think the only area you can check on that at, is in the bios, and most boards have that option...both my a8n-sli deluxe and my a8n-sli premium had that option, so i'm guessing you have it as well.

Fyi, those are two different kinds of ram. Corsair only labels and bins their ram, then don't create them. And the 2gb (2x1024) variety come from a special set of batches from mostly two manufacturs (in regards to perf ram). There are a ton of timings to be set in ram, and every set is different. We only get to tweak a few. That's why there are usually issues. Most performance ram has been tweaked to work a certain way, at very specific timings (which is why special sets are recommended rather then buying a bunch of singles). Which is why this is such an important find. If you've found a pair of 1gb modules that work well with some 512s then we aught to spread it around. It's not very often that we can find ram that works so well together.
Nevermind, thought you had a venice core... 2.6 might top it out for newcastle. 1T with 4 sticks can be done on a DFI export SLI-DR.

Comp98

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
well I do have the Venice core - - I have to find a better overclocking program. I have the ntune and asus cool n' quiet. They're not very compatible with each other and sometimes undo the others settings. What programs do you guys use to oc your system?

example.....I lowered my HT down to 3x in ntune but you can't raise the fsb in the same program so I tried doing it in the asus program......seems like the asus program re-raised the HT to 4x. If you guys have any suggestions on an overclocking program let me know asap.

fyi...my idle temp lowered to about 28C when I wole up this morning. I wanted to tweak some more settings but had to leave for work.

Comp98

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
yea...I'll try the bios...I should probably update it too before I go and do any oc'ing there.

I still don't trust my psu, I'm thinking of getting the antec Neo 500.......are modular psu's still having problems with the asus A8N Deluxe?

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
1T with 4 sticks can be done on a DFI export SLI-DR.

Do you have a link to that? I'd really like to read up on it! (I don't mean the dfi page either heh; unless you've got a link in the dfi forums, i'd believe an actual user over what a company says its capable of). Was that with only specific types of ram? Or all kinds? I knew that Asus and Dfi had both implemented a mobo that uses a better power scheme 4-way instead of 2-way or something like that...I can't remember the speicifics. I've got 2-3 threads on 400 at 2T timings heh...So i'd be really interested in updating those if you have some new info!

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
If you're thinking about getting a new psu...

Can i recommend first you get a 24pin. If you can find a modular 450w+ 24pin (with sli capablities built in...) that's the way to go (again...if you want modular). I have two 24 pin non-modular now...an enermax 535 (which is way underpowered unfortunately...reboots when i'm only pulling 250w or so) and a sparkle fsp based 530 (which has been awesome for me, but needs a second fan in it). The fsp also works with the newer power technologies from asus and dfi (and whoever else will be using it with it in the future...). The enermax was relatively cheap, like $80-90, the sparkle fsp was like 110-120. The fsp has no issues running a 3800+ oc'd from 2.0 to 2.5, 2 oc'd 6800gts, snd card, dvd burner, cd burner, ungodly amount of fans...you get the point. The catch is that it's expensive, and not real pretty, but it gets the job done.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
For the 4 DIMM stability test, we installed 4x512MB OCZ PC4800EL Elite Platinum Limited Edition modules. For many enthusiasts, the ability to run 1T command rate while using 4 DIMMS is very important, but in this test, the board would not boot to Windows even when increasing the voltage to reasonable levels, nor would combinations of BH5 based RAM boot until the command rate was reduced to 2T.

So we're still at the same thing. =/

Still won't run 1T cmd rate with 4 modules.

The tccd ram (ocz 4800el...or like mine, patriot xblk 3200, etc etc) is the only ram that can run 400 @ 2T without making any changes. They seem to be saying that they got bh-5 stuff to boot in to windows with 2T and 400 but that'd be news to me (and since they don't say it outright...i wouldn't quote them on that...).

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
For the 4 DIMM stability test, we installed 4x512MB OCZ PC4800EL Elite Platinum Limited Edition modules. For many enthusiasts, the ability to run 1T command rate while using 4 DIMMS is very important, but in this test, the board would not boot to Windows even when increasing the voltage to reasonable levels, nor would combinations of BH5 based RAM boot until the command rate was reduced to 2T.

So we're still at the same thing. =/

Still won't run 1T cmd rate with 4 modules.

The tccd ram (ocz 4800el...or like mine, patriot xblk 3200, etc etc) is the only ram that can run 400 @ 2T without making any changes. They seem to be saying that they got bh-5 stuff to boot in to windows with 2T and 400 but that'd be news to me (and since they don't say it outright...i wouldn't quote them on that...).

bah, i know it can. i have to find some current reviews for it (not as easy as it sounds). a lot of the reviews on newegg.com should say the same.