MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/02/20/toms_hardware_amd2_preview/

I hope they don't think those will be credible benchmarks, given the fact those are probably not the most stable samples and the motherboard they're going to use is probably even less stable.

"With current DDR2-667 memory, very little improvement should be expected as the integrated memory controller suffers from relaxed memory timings." - Haven't we already established the fact that the IMC on the A64 doesn't suffer from high latency RAM? And Haven't I seen 3-3-3-12 DDR2 667? Good Enough For Me That's just as good as a overclocked DDR1 module. At These Clock Speeds those are some low timings for that fast of RAM.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

mpjesse

Splendid
Relax son. AMD wouldn't have given THG an engineering sample if they didn't think the benchmarks would be relevant.

What they show in the article should be pretty much in line with what they release.

-mpjesse

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Relax son. AMD wouldn't have given THG an engineering sample if they didn't think the benchmarks would be relevant.

What they show in the article should be pretty much in line with what they release.

-mpjesse

Obviously buddy, you didn't read my post. Regardless of how well stable those chips are, I can severely doubt the motherboard they use will have anything to say for the mobo's released at launch.

Thanks anyways...son

RowdyRob

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I agree with Mike about the motherboard part. When the AM2 does come out though we will see improvements in motherboards. Its always the same when somehting first comes out its not going to be as good as it gets. I mean look at how long it took for SLI 16x16 took to come out. Bottom line is these benchmarks will be minimal score and will only get better as time goes on.
Im really excited to see what AMD has to offer though. I feel like a giggling school girl waiting for the results.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
In this case I don't think there would be much difference in performance between the motherboard THG will use and the final production boards. With the OMC on the processor itself there really isn't much left on the motherboard that can have a large effect on performance. Granted SATA controllers and the PCIe controllers are important, but not as much as the memory controller. In fact, since the core architecture is still the same with the major change being the memory controller which motherboard makers don't need to worry about, Socket AM2 processors will be using existing chipsets. They will only change the mounting cage and swap DDR2 slots, neither physical part will effect performance.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29414

THE AMD socket M2/AM2 based motherboards aren't likely to cost very much more than existing sockets. AMD advised its motherboard parners that the new motherboards will cost them only a little bit more. Socket vendors can make those sockets with small tooling changes to existing Socket 939 and should keep the cost to N almost equivalent level.
With already mature chipset and motherboard designs being used there isn't much that is beta about these early boards, so final production performance won't change much.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I don't believe anything from The Inquirer,

With that said, these first tests I still say will not be the max performance that AM2 is, if Tom's says "AM2 seems to perform below s939" I will lose all respect for Tom's already Intel-Biased selves.

mpjesse

Splendid
Umm, I did read your post. And FYI, Socket AM2 motherboards have been floating around in Asia for months now. AM2 has pretty much been finalized for quite a while now. The major mobo manufacturers have already had a few months to work on AM2 boards. What hasn't been finalized are the processors. There's a big frikin difference there. The reason AMD is sitting on AM2 is because they don't need to release it. AMD is still competing very, very well against Intel in terms of technology. AMD stands to gain from this position in three ways:

1. When the boards and processors hit the market, they're already mature.
2. AMD has given mobo manufacturers tons of time to ramp up production of AM2 based boards.
3. By setting somewhat finite release dates (6/6/06) memory manufacturers have more time to ramp up production of DDR2. (yes, I know, there's going to be a jump in DDR2 prices initially. however, it could be a lot worse)

Anyways, my point is the motherboard they sample to THG will be pretty damn mature. Like commander_data said, there isn't a huge technology change for motherboards w/ AM2. It's the processors that are changing more than anything. AM2 is essentially a socket change for the motherboard manufacturers.

Stop and think about it for one second. Why on earth would AMD give a crappy sample to THG? What would they stand to gain if they gave THG a premature motherboard engineering sample? Hmmm?

Like i said earlier, son, relax. Quit trying to drum up controversy with statements like...

With that said, these first tests I still say will not be the max performance that AM2 is, if Tom's says "AM2 seems to perform below s939" I will lose all respect for Tom's already Intel-Biased selves.

...when you haven't even seen the article yet. Sheesh. Rabid fan boys around here lately.

-mpjesse

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Umm, I did read your post. And FYI, Socket AM2 motherboards have been floating around in Asia for months now. AM2 has pretty much been finalized for quite a while now. The major mobo manufacturers have already had a few months to work on AM2 boards. What hasn't been finalized are the processors. There's a big frikin difference there. The reason AMD is sitting on AM2 is because they don't need to release it. AMD is still competing very, very well against Intel in terms of technology. AMD stands to gain from this position in three ways:

1. When the boards and processors hit the market, they're already mature.
2. AMD has given mobo manufacturers tons of time to ramp up production of AM2 based boards.
3. By setting somewhat finite release dates (6/6/06) memory manufacturers have more time to ramp up production of DDR2. (yes, I know, there's going to be a jump in DDR2 prices initially. however, it could be a lot worse)

Anyways, my point is the motherboard they sample to THG will be pretty damn mature. Like commander_data said, there isn't a huge technology change for motherboards w/ AM2. It's the processors that are changing more than anything. AM2 is essentially a socket change for the motherboard manufacturers.

Stop and think about it for one second. Why on earth would AMD give a crappy sample to THG? What would they stand to gain if they gave THG a premature motherboard engineering sample? Hmmm?

Like i said earlier, son, relax. Quit trying to drum up controversy with statements like...

...when you haven't even seen the article yet. Sheesh. Rabid fan boys around here lately.

-mpjesse

OH BOY, what I'd do to meet you, we'd have some fun. We'll see tomorrow mr. "I know about the world and what's happening"

mpjesse

Splendid
Oh, and quit recklessly posting uneducated statements like

"I will lose all respect for Tom's already Intel-Biased selves"

if you don't have the evidence to support them. I already created a thread giving all you wacko "THG Intel Conspiracy Theorist" fanboys a chance to prove that THG was biased.

No one posted any conclusive evidence that they were.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=171714&highlight=theory

And yes, I know all this is your opinion. But frankly your opinion sucks and all it does is perpetuate the very, very wrong opinion that THG is Intel biased. I'm tired of people flaming THG with no proof to back up their accusations. If you really think THG is intel biased than go to Anandtech's forums. They hate Intel over there. It'd be a good place for you and your AMD/nVidia loving self.

For the record, I own both Pentium 4, Pentium M, and AMD X2 systems. I'm currently authoring this from my AMD X2 4200+ gaming system.

Yes, I'm in a bad mood.

-mpjesse

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Congrats, let me state what I own/use on a daily basis:

Pentium M (over 20 ranging from 1.4GHz to 2.0Ghz)
Pentium 4 (over 40 From 1.4GHz to 3.4GHz)
Opteron (Dual and Single CPU systems, 1.4GHz to 2.6GHz)
Athlon 64 (Too many)
Athlon X2 (plenty enough)
Athlon XP (Overclocking Test Computers)
AMD K6 (Scrap Comps/Servers)
Pentium 3 (about 30)
Pentium 2 (Have 5 servers and 40 scrap comps)
Xeon (4 in a rack)

Want me to continue? I think you've been one upped, go to bed and kill that mood before you call somebody a fanboy next time. BTW, Only reason I use MadModMike, is because I am a Cg Developer and I like the characters nVidia creates (Ruby is the only one from ATI excluding their enemies).

mpjesse

Splendid
Well I guess you don't have any evidence that THG is biased...

Once again I rest my case.

My major point of contention is that you called THG Intel biased. I don't have a problem with you, your opinions, or anything else. Just quit stating THG is biased.

BTW, I don't think AMD would send THG AM2 samples if they thought THG was biased. I'm curious to see who else they sent samples to. If THG is the only one, then how can you truly believe they are biased? I guess we'll see tomorrow. I'm sure Anandtech got samples as well. Then again, can Anandtech be trusted?

In their most recent reviews, Pentium EE 955 and AthlonFX 60, they used DDR2 memory timed at the almost worst possible timings (5-5-5-15) in their Pentium testbeds and used best timed PC3500/DDR433 (2-2-2-7) timed memory for all the AMD test beds. See for yourself:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2658&p=2
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2668&p=2

That's what I call proof of bias. Check and see how hard it is to get DDR2 timed at 5-5-5-15. You actually have to LOOK very hard to find that crap. And that's what Anandtech did...

Point is this: if low timings are good for AMD than they're good for Intel. Anyways, I'm way off topic. But check out the testbeds. Anandtech is nothing but a bunch of AMD fanboys. Which is fine, but they claim to be the pinnicale of un-biasism.

-mpjesse

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
You make valid arguments, and that leads me to this: I don't ever trust any sites, period. I purchase products myself or use them from friends and aquantances to test for myself, rather then take the word of some website ran by god knows how biased of people. I don't trust Anandtech either, nor The Register, Inquirer, or any other site that makes you gag when you say their name. I will find some articles to prove my suspicion on Tom's biasism, but we'll just have to see how their review on AM2 goes.

dedla

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
You make valid arguments, and that leads me to this: I don't ever trust any sites, period. I purchase products myself or use them from friends and aquantances to test for myself, rather then take the word of some website ran by god knows how biased of people. I don't trust Anandtech either, nor The Register, Inquirer, or any other site that makes you gag when you say their name. I will find some articles to prove my suspicion on Tom's biasism, but we'll just have to see how their review on AM2 goes.

So all we have is another cocky jag-off preaching loudly in forums about how great his views are?

I'm with mpjesse 100% on this, THG's one of the most un-bias places I've seen online, and I believe it's no accident they're like that. Posting nonsense and trying to start fights isn't my idea of a decent discussion or debate. 'OH BOY, what I'd do to meet you, we'd have some fun. We'll see tomorrow mr. "I know about the world and what's happening"' That's probably the most childish and bullyish thing I've read in a LONG time.

As the man said, STFU and wait till they post the results. Not like anyone'd give a damn who you lost respect for anyways.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Dedla, you need to shut the f up right now you little newblett. You have no say in this conversation between me and jesse, go crawl back into the rock you came out of.

dedla

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
It's dedla, schmuck.

You're posting on a public message board. If you want it between you and him, which I doubt since you love throwing out how you think in very long posts on lots of different boards, then ingage in a private chat with him.

Who's the newb, when you're the one demanding I have no say on a public conversation?

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
You're pointing out the fact I capitalized the first letter in your name? It's because you capitalize the first letter in your sentence you inbred, I don't care if I'm stating a name or not. I'm not demanding anything chief, simply saying that you have nothing relevant to say here other than noting on your love affair with mpjesse since he helped you back w/ your "1meg vs 512k dillema".

dedla

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
You type a name how it's spelled, regarless of where it is in a sentance.

I'm simply agreeing with him because he actually has an intelligent view on what he's talking about, and that you should still, in fact, just simply shut up. Again you talk about my responces not being relivant. But how you justify your own rantings as relivant, I'll never really take the time to accomplish the ability to care about. You have fun with that.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
You type a name how it's spelled, regarless of where it is in a sentance.

I'm simply agreeing with him because he actually has an intelligent view on what he's talking about, and that you should still, in fact, just simply shut up. Again you talk about my responces not being relivant. But how you justify your own rantings as relivant, I'll never really take the time to accomplish the ability to care about. You have fun with that.

Could you at least spell a word correct for once? Sheesh.

the only thing im expecting with AM2 is slightly colder chips (for higher clocks thanks to lower vcore ddr2) and slightly improved performance - just a platform refresh, afterall its a second gen A64, not an overhaul like intels conroe (and the aparent 20% quicker then AM2)

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Congrats, let me state what I own/use on a daily basis:

Pentium M (over 20 ranging from 1.4GHz to 2.0Ghz)
Pentium 4 (over 40 From 1.4GHz to 3.4GHz)
Opteron (Dual and Single CPU systems, 1.4GHz to 2.6GHz)
Athlon 64 (Too many)
Athlon X2 (plenty enough)
Athlon XP (Overclocking Test Computers)
AMD K6 (Scrap Comps/Servers)
Pentium 3 (about 30)
Pentium 2 (Have 5 servers and 40 scrap comps)
Xeon (4 in a rack)

Want me to continue? I think you've been one upped, go to bed and kill that mood before you call somebody a fanboy next time. BTW, Only reason I use MadModMike, is because I am a Cg Developer and I like the characters nVidia creates (Ruby is the only one from ATI excluding their enemies).

wow can i have some?