vicveco

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Hi Im really confused about This RAID issue, Im buying a Hitachi T7K250, only one, do I need to use this RAID things 0,1,2,3,4,0+1?????? which is the best configuration of my hard disc to run with full performance?

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
RAID 0 is aimed at high performance. However you need at least 2 HDDs to do it.

If you're confused about the RAID controller on your motherboard, you just need to install the drivers for the controller so that it can recognize your HDD on install.

For any RAID you need at least 2 HDDs. In some cases (RAID 5) you need 3 HDDs minimum.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
RAID is for multiple drives only.

However your SATA controller is might also be a RAID controller (meaning it supports RAID features).

--
Sometimes to get a single drive to work you need to ender the RAID setup (by pressing the indicated function key) and add the single drive to a single drive array, for it to work.

You are still not using RAID, you are just telling the RAID enabled controller that this drive is to work as a single drive. (technically a 1 drive JBOD array, but you don't need to know that)

Thats how my Silicon Image 3114 works.

---
With my NF4 Nvidia controller I have to go into the CMOS setup and ENABLE raid for each channel I want to include in a RAID array.

So to connect a single drive I do nothing.
---

Its also possible that if you going to install XP on this drive you will have to press F6 when asked and load the storage controller drivers from a FLOPPY. (yes only floppy will work)

(Also only have one drive connected when installing XP)

So mostly you just connect the drive, sometimes you have to do a few extra, but very easy steps.

TRENDING THREADS