Picture Stutter

I have posted this in the Avsim General Forum and have had plenty of views
but no responses.
I have started to get fairly intrusive picture jerking or stuttering. I am
not aware of having changed any settings but in any case it occurs whatever
settings I select in FS, even minimal and using default scenery. Naturally
it always occurs when using the hat in spot view and often with the scenery
in cockpit view. Most of the time (even when it is occuring) frame rates are
anywhere between 30 and 50. In desperation I restored an older ghost image
file from a point when I wasn't getting the problem but it was still there.
Significantly perhaps, the stutter is usually accompanied by the sound of
the hard disk being accessed.

FS 9.1 has its own XP SP2 bootable and defragged SCSI drive (50% full) using
an Athlon 3000XP processor, 1Gb ram and a Radeon 9800XT. The network
connection is disabled together with other non essential programs
(zonealarm, viruscan, etc) and only essential system services are running.

Any thoughts anyone?!

Regards
Chris

Almost always these problems trace to a personal firewall or
anti-virus program. If you have no such programs, then it is
probably a virus or spyware program running in the background.

I duplicate this result with ZoneAlarm turned on, and it goes
away with ZoneAlarm turned off.

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

"Chris Curtis" <chris@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I have posted this in the Avsim General Forum and have had
plenty of views
> but no responses.
> I have started to get fairly intrusive picture jerking or
stuttering. I am
> not aware of having changed any settings but in any case it
occurs whatever
> settings I select in FS, even minimal and using default
scenery. Naturally
> it always occurs when using the hat in spot view and often with
the scenery
> in cockpit view. Most of the time (even when it is occuring)
frame rates are
> anywhere between 30 and 50. In desperation I restored an older
ghost image
> file from a point when I wasn't getting the problem but it was
still there.
> Significantly perhaps, the stutter is usually accompanied by
the sound of
> the hard disk being accessed.
>
> FS 9.1 has its own XP SP2 bootable and defragged SCSI drive
(50% full) using
> an Athlon 3000XP processor, 1Gb ram and a Radeon 9800XT. The
network
> connection is disabled together with other non essential
programs
> (zonealarm, viruscan, etc) and only essential system services
are running.

> Any thoughts anyone?!
>
> Regards
> Chris

I have no idea as to the cause, other than the usual spyware blame. But if
it was me I would be inclined to use the excellent System Restore ability
and go back to a time when this didn't happen. It has worked for me before.

Cheers,

Quilly

An individual reply goes into my spam filter

>I have no idea as to the cause, other than the usual spyware blame. But if
>it was me I would be inclined to use the excellent System Restore ability
>and go back to a time when this didn't happen. It has worked for me before.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Quilly

Hi Quilly

No, it's clean as a whistle as far as spyware is concerned.
And the image restore I did is similar to the System Restore.

Chris

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Will wrote:

> Almost always these problems trace to a personal firewall or
> anti-virus program. If you have no such programs, then it is
> probably a virus or spyware program running in the background.
>
> I duplicate this result with ZoneAlarm turned on, and it goes
> away with ZoneAlarm turned off.

I asked this same question a few days ago but no one had an answer. I
thought the stutter could be caused by anti-virus, zone alarm etc.

I used FSAutoStart and turned most of the other running processes off.
Still have the stutter. Did full disk scan for viri, troj's, etc.

Actually I do have something extra running. FRAPS, because I'm trying to
get a smooth flight video. I've tried video capture both in real time
and while running an instant replay.

?????????

--

boB,
Master_Caution_70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

dallas

"Chris Curtis"
> frame rates are anywhere between 30 and 50.

That sounds like your problem right there... try going into your display
settings and moving the frame rate slider to 20ish.

The computer resources are maxed out trying to maintain high frame rates and
has to interrupt to catch up.

Dallas

dallas

"boB"
> I asked this same question a few days ago but no one had an answer.
> Actually I do have something extra running. FRAPS,

FRAPS is well known to cause slide shows.

Better ones with free trials are:
Easy Video Capture
Camtasia Studio

Dallas

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dallas wrote:

> "boB"
>
>>I asked this same question a few days ago but no one had an answer.
>>Actually I do have something extra running. FRAPS,
>

> FRAPS is well known to cause slide shows.
>
> Better ones with free trials are:
> Easy Video Capture
> Camtasia Studio
>

> Dallas

Thanks Dalli.

--

boB,
Master_Caution_70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

> "Chris Curtis"
> > frame rates are anywhere between 30 and 50.
>
> That sounds like your problem right there... try going into your display
> settings and moving the frame rate slider to 20ish.
>
> The computer resources are maxed out trying to maintain high frame rates
> and
> has to interrupt to catch up.
>
> Dallas

The problem persisted with frame rates set to 20!
Interestingly MegaScenery advise to set frame rates to unlimited!
As for spyware and virus problems; this drive hardly ever goes online and
when it does zonealarm, etc are activated.
I bit the bullet last night and did a pre FS installation ghost image
restore and the problem has disappeared.
Frame rates are back to unlimited and sliders are maxed! And barely a sound
from the HD..
In future I am going to keep a log of any setup changes I make but thanks
everyone for their advice!

Chris