DO NOT INSTALL XP SP2 if you have a Prescott CPU

Tags:
  • Windows XP
  • Microsoft
  • CPUs
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2004 1:20:40 AM

I have a Prescott CPU and my computer hanged 100% when I installed SP2.
There is some kind of a compatibility error. I can't even get to safe mode.

See here for full details-http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

More about : install sp2 prescott cpu

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2004 1:20:41 AM

"It's worth keeping a sense of perspective on this; only the few PCs
new enough to be running Prescott right now (August 2004) will be
affected by this, and then only if the system's BIOS is not doing
everything needed for Prescott compatibility."

Ref: http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"TheRedSunRiseth" wrote:

| I have a Prescott CPU and my computer hanged 100% when I installed SP2.
| There is some kind of a compatibility error. I can't even get to safe mode.
|
| See here for full details-http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2004 1:20:41 AM

Hmm, seems to work fine on my system, perhaps you should read the link

--
________________________________
Vote Quimby
"TheRedSunRiseth" <removethesun_crimson_castle@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:IANXc.10155$D7.1277@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>I have a Prescott CPU and my computer hanged 100% when I installed SP2.
> There is some kind of a compatibility error. I can't even get to safe mode.
>
> See here for full details-http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

a b à CPUs
August 28, 2004 11:05:22 AM

If you have a Prescott Processor before trying to install SP2 you should go
to the web site of the motherboard supplier and see whether there is an
update for the BIOS to overcome what appears to be a problem between the
BIOS initially loaded and SP2. Obviously you should download and install
the updated BIOS. In my case, Gigabyte has an updated BIOS to address the
Prescott CPU 'problem'.

"TheRedSunRiseth" <removethesun_crimson_castle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Prescott CPU and my computer hanged 100% when I installed SP2.
> There is some kind of a compatibility error. I can't even get to safe
> mode.
>
> See here for full details-http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

August 28, 2004 1:28:32 PM

Ditto here, Prescott 2.8/1MB cache, no probs.

--

johnf

!