DO NOT INSTALL XP SP2 if you have a Prescott CPU

I have a Prescott CPU and my computer hanged 100% when I installed SP2.
There is some kind of a compatibility error. I can't even get to safe mode.

See here for full details-http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm
4 answers Last reply
More about install prescott

    "It's worth keeping a sense of perspective on this; only the few PCs
    new enough to be running Prescott right now (August 2004) will be
    affected by this, and then only if the system's BIOS is not doing
    everything needed for Prescott compatibility."

    Ref: http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "TheRedSunRiseth" wrote:

    | I have a Prescott CPU and my computer hanged 100% when I installed SP2.
    | There is some kind of a compatibility error. I can't even get to safe mode.
    |
    | See here for full details-http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

    Hmm, seems to work fine on my system, perhaps you should read the link

    --
    ________________________________
    Vote Quimby
    "TheRedSunRiseth" <removethesun_crimson_castle@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:IANXc.10155$D7.1277@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
    >I have a Prescott CPU and my computer hanged 100% when I installed SP2.
    > There is some kind of a compatibility error. I can't even get to safe mode.
    >
    > See here for full details-http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

    If you have a Prescott Processor before trying to install SP2 you should go
    to the web site of the motherboard supplier and see whether there is an
    update for the BIOS to overcome what appears to be a problem between the
    BIOS initially loaded and SP2. Obviously you should download and install
    the updated BIOS. In my case, Gigabyte has an updated BIOS to address the
    Prescott CPU 'problem'.

    "TheRedSunRiseth" <removethesun_crimson_castle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Prescott CPU and my computer hanged 100% when I installed SP2.
    > There is some kind of a compatibility error. I can't even get to safe
    > mode.
    >
    > See here for full details-http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

    Ditto here, Prescott 2.8/1MB cache, no probs.

    --

    johnf

    > Hmm, seems to work fine on my system, perhaps you should read the link
    >
    > --
    > Vote Quimby
    > "TheRedSunRiseth" <removethesun_crimson_castle@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:IANXc.10155$D7.1277@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
    >> I have a Prescott CPU and my computer hanged 100% when I installed SP2.
    >> There is some kind of a compatibility error. I can't even get to safe
    >> mode. See here for full details-http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

Windows XP Microsoft CPUs