Sign in with
Your question

Building new computer, need help determining parts

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2006 6:12:58 PM

About 7 months ago my house burned down and I lost my computer, obviously. I am going to buy a new computer and build it myself but I have not been keeping up on the new cpus, graphic cards, etc and was wondering if someone could get creative and help me build a good computer with good parts... price isn't a factor.. (to a certain extent). I would be willing to spend about 2000 dollars on a computer. If it isn't too much to ask, if you guys could just tell me what CPU, graphics card, ram, harddrive, etc to get I would greatly appreciate it. Keep in mind this computer is for gaming. Thanks for the help.
February 20, 2006 6:51:36 PM

Sorry to hear about your house. You can find threads on many computer builds here in that range - typically, people do thier own homework then ask for input on the choices. That way we know what you are trying to accomplish ; for example, is this going to be a gaming rig, just for surfing internet, movies, dual-purpose, multitasking heavy.... ?
February 20, 2006 7:31:16 PM

Keep in mind this computer is for gaming. Thanks for the help.

He said it was for gaming. And yes, most give there specs of what components they have decided on to see if compatible. Im buildin a gaming rig at moment my self. I would suggest that you study vid cards and build around that. Compair with what card you had in previous pc. I would always not going with the top of the line, unless price is really no matter. Its always nice to have the latest tech, but it will be old tech in a matter of months. Make sure your proc complements the card so as to not have any bottlenecks and same with the memory. Then get a pci express mobo. If you can decide if ur plannin on goin sli or not will help out alot. There are numerous post of individuals giving comp spect to be crituiqued. Just go over those if you need some ideas. You should be able to get a screaming gamin rig for under 1,500.00. May be look at the barebones kits for an idea. And also figure, since you lost everything, ur gonna need a descent monitor, other words its a waste on a good graphics card. Also make sure you get a good power source. I knew I wasnt gonna go sli, and would be upgrading proc/mobo and vid card in few years, so I got a nice PSU and case. There are soooo many components to choose from so giving you a list makes no sense. You could just look at members sigs and put a rig togather that way and hope it works. Being that you need a complete system I would start with the card and get a ati x850xt or nvida 7,800gt. Both under 300. the 850 a good card for price , around 215. the 7,800 also great card for a few $$ more. Mostly personal preferance. I wouldnt spend more than 250 on a cpu for instance the 3,700+sandiago core, is a nice one. Id stay with amd 64 if its a gaming rig. Just do some readin. The more u read the more u learn and the easier it will make building a rig. I would suggest a few key words in a google search and start readin. And if ur usin that 2,000 figure as basis of a mased produced machine like dell, HP or alien even. Y ou can reduce that number alot and know what ur gettin. Hell, after i figured out the specs and components of the machine i wanted, i looked and there was not a mass produced puter with them. It was either build my self or pay someone to build. Start readin and have fun.
February 21, 2006 12:03:45 AM

Quote:
About 7 months ago my house burned down and I lost my computer, obviously. I am going to buy a new computer and build it myself but I have not been keeping up on the new cpus, graphic cards, etc and was wondering if someone could get creative and help me build a good computer with good parts... price isn't a factor.. (to a certain extent). I would be willing to spend about 2000 dollars on a computer. If it isn't too much to ask, if you guys could just tell me what CPU, graphics card, ram, harddrive, etc to get I would greatly appreciate it. Keep in mind this computer is for gaming. Thanks for the help.

'
Not sure why this post was made twice, but i will reply to both of them. Sorry to hear about your house also. All prices are from Newegg.. there are links in the other post.

Ok, for $2000 lets see what we can do...

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ - $295.00

RAM:
Corsair XMS 2GB RAM Kit- $220 + $40 mail in rebate

Motherboard:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium- $166.99

Hard Drive-
Segate SATA II 300GB- $135.00

DVD Burner-
NEC DVD Burner- $38.99

Video Card-
eVGA 256MB 7800GT x 2 (SLI) - $628.00 + $20 rebate on each one

Sound Card-
Creatve SB X-Fi - $121.00

Case:
Antec Performance I P-160W $99.99

PSU:
Antec TruePower 2.0 550W $94.99

Software:
XP Pro- $139.95

Monitor-
Dell 20.1 Digital LCD - $439.20

Keyboard/mouse... your choice
$30-100

Total $2414.11- so around $2000 without the monitor (don't know if you already have one)
One way to cut the cost down with the monitor to keep it under $2000 to take out one of the video cards and buy it later. SLI is basically needed to play some games (F.E.A.R. comes to mind) as the highest resolutions.

Hope all of that helps!

--Duck
!