Sign in with
Your question

Cooling fan vibration side effects

Last response: in Components
February 20, 2006 9:19:20 PM

Just a warning Im posting. I havent seen anyone else post about this yet, so I thought Id warn ya'll.

Not to long ago, I was fiddling with my system. I was swaping SATA HDD channels. When I went to re-istall the SATA cable on the MOBO, I could not find the socket. After 2 minutes or staring in disbeleif (how do you lose a mobo socket???) I found the seat, complete with pins, still attached to the end of the cable. Dam!!!. At the moment, I assumed I must have used excessive force removing the cable. Well, after disassembling the whole system and spending several tedious hours re-soldering those dam sub-microscopic pins back on to the mobo, I had fixed the problem, and was ready to re-assemble.

As I comleted the re-assembly, I went to place the mini-molex conector back onto the video card. When I did, the plastic retaining, tab broke off. No big deal. What was a big deal was when I noticed that the plug appeared to be loose. It wasnt. All 4 of the pins on the video card were loose. After looking at the pins under a magnifiying glass, I discovered circumferential fractures in the solder, through 360 degrees, on all 4 pins. The fractures would have been radial, had they been caused by excessive installation or removal force.

Took me awhile to figure it out, but the fractures were stress fractures caused by vibration (gee whiz, 164 credit hours of mech E and 12 credit hours of mishap investigation courses finally paid off!!) from the dam CPU and GPU cooling fans

Anyway, if your running a system with a lot of fans, or some big fans and you start having problems, pull out a magnifying glass and start looking for fractures in the components connectors solder joints.
March 15, 2006 4:41:13 PM

thanx, thats a good tip.
I have also been wondering about the vibrations when you walk around a comp thats standing on the floor. Isent that also a problem. My 90 kg makes things rattle anyways... :D 
March 15, 2006 5:33:15 PM

Quote:
Took me awhile to figure it out, but the fractures were stress fractures caused by vibration (gee whiz, 164 credit hours of mech E and 12 credit hours of mishap investigation courses finally paid off!!) from the dam CPU and GPU cooling fans

It's a fun feeling the first time you realize all the hard work you put into that lernin thing paid off...

Mine was fixing my alarm clock...
Halfway through replacing a 555 timer I realized what I was doing...
And kinda asked myself what in hell... Then realized I didn't even need schematics... and laughed..
!