Software crashing

nightrider31404

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
mozilla has been crashing for a week now. i dont want to erase it because i have bookmarks stored there. how can we fix the problem. i also said it was going to send a report. i have not heard anything. please help

someonewhoknowsalittle

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

Before you do anything else, you should save a copy of your bookmarks as a file in a folder on and off your hard drive so even if your whole computer crashes, you'll eventually be able to restore your bookmarks from your backed up file.

If you're still using any version 3 of firefox, click on "bookmarks" at top left of the firefox window, then click on "organise bookmarks", then click on "import and backup", then click on "export html" and then save that bookmarks.html file in a folder on your hard drive. Write down the name of the folder so you don't forget it. Also, go through the same process again, and this time save that file in a folder on a usb stick if you have one. If you don't have one, burn that file that stored file to a cd if you can.

After you've done that, find out what version of firefox you're using. If it's anything less than 3.6.16, then upgrade to that version. If firefox stops crashing at that point, hurrah! If not, download version 4.0 of firefox and install that. If it stops crashing, hurrah!

Are you sure firefox crashing is not just a symptom and maybe the cause of it crashing is some corruption of system files on your computer or a virus or both? Have you updated your anti-virus and run a full anti-virus scan with sensitivity and heuristics levels on high? If not, do that.

Have you installed any program recently at the same time that firefox started crashing? Maybe that program is causing the problem with firefox? Can you uninstall the program and see if that fixes the problem? Make sure you have the right to reinstall the program in the future before you uninstall it.

Have you deleted your cookies and temporary files from your computer and browser lately?

Do you have any windows error messages?

If your problems only started after updating to Firefox version 4.0, then remove it after downloading firefox version 3.6.16 from mozilla, then reinstall that version.

A million and one things could be causing Firefox to crash. Google is your friend. Use it.

If you use Internet Explorer or Chrome or Opera or Safari and they crash too, then the problem isn't with your browser. You have more serious problems. Get help from a friend who knows more than you do about computing or get pro help.