The X-Fi digital out issue. Is it in the hardware?

jaculum

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
So, you can only get 2 channel out on the X-Fi unless you are using passthrough. However, does anyone know if this is part of their drivers, or something built into the card?

I guess what I'm really asking is, would it be possible to enable multichannel digital output on the X-Fi through hacked drivers?

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
So, you can only get 2 channel out on the X-Fi unless you are using passthrough. However, does anyone know if this is part of their drivers, or something built into the card?

You've already posted this, and we've already answered your question.

Yes, X-Fi has no hardware support for digital passthrough, because Creative has no reason to provide that feature when 99.9% of their constituency do not use it. They are a business.

Get any of the many DDL or DTSC equipped sound cards, and sell your X-Fi for cash. Or don't.

I'm sure there are software methods for real-time Dolby Digital encoding. I'm also quite sure they be'd extremely expensive, suffer some lag, and not be applicable for home use.

I guess what I'm really asking is, would it be possible to enable multichannel digital output on the X-Fi through hacked drivers?

No.

jaculum

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
You seem quite annoyed, I'm sorry.

I guess I thought I was asking a different question or something. I'm not all there right now.

Whatever the case, thanks for answering my question anyway.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Don't worry about it. If it helps you in any way, I'm glad. Hopefully you can work something out; Craigslist is always an option if you plan to sell your X-Fi.

I just thought the question was already answered in the last thread you started. For you to start a new thread on this put me under the impression you might not have read the replies to the last thread.

Also you have not mentioned why you won't use 6-channel direct. Is it two wires too many?