amd vs intel OVERCLOCKING

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I was thinking about rebuilding parts of my system and I thought: Since I already have a powerful PSU, a powerful HSF, would Intel be worth trying? I personally don't give a flaming rat's ass about heat disappation, but whos performance would be better on high-end air? I heard Pentium Ds 9xx's hit 4.5 on air, but opty's hit 3.0ghz on air as well supposedly. Who would win that? Please no flamewarz or fanboys...post benchmarks if at all possible !

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Alright, I'd OC everything I touch, using as much voltage as necessary with an XP90C and a vantec tornado which i already have. I'm not to fond of Intel motherboards that overclock well, but I would use a DFI board for the AMD machine for sure. Ram would probably be PC4800, and perhaps DDR2 800.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
the question is like what tastes better: apples or oranges

if you want more gaming performance, AMD will beat intel with the same cooling and OC (usually) it mostly depends on what chip you get and how lucky you are. it also depends on how well you OC.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
So you're planning to hit mega GHz...use all them voltz and powerz....and you plan to have this system for what, just a few weeks? Ya, that's about the lifetime I'm predicting for your system.

Make sure to get the Expert DFI Lanparty board, CPU can hit 2.1v and RAM hits 4v, that'll get you the power you want, but hurry playin' a game, can't say it won't burn itself before the game finishes loading.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

RowdyRob

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Well for gaming you should get AMD. Seeing as how the Opterons use less voltage that less heat being generated which will allow for more overclocking. You should get a decent opty OC it and i heard that the ASUS board with the eight phase power is really good for OCing. DFI is also nice.

RowdyRob

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006

Senator

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
The real question you should be asking is...

'With air cooling, which company is going to give me the best performance for price?"

Then you'regonna say what you want to use it for. Then most people will say AMD.