What's the deal with AMD & RAM?

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Okay, I'm in the process of researching an upgrade. I have always been an intel guy in the past, but have recently decided to take the plunge and give AMD a shot.

However, I've heard that if I use all four DIMM slots on an AMD MoBo, I must go and slow down the memory, because things won't work! :(

I really need to know the full story on how DDR-400 RAM interacts with the AMD procs. I've never overclocked before either. I'm open to the experience, but it is not my priority at all. Will someone fill me in, or point me to a link that explains everything, please?

I really need this help, the possibility of my upgrade hangs in the balance. Because I have 2GB of PC3200 RAM I can transfer, but it is 4x 512MB, and I don't want to have to slow down the memory access speed. Please help! :cry:

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
yes, get 2x512mb (not recommended) or 2x1gb(recommended if you can afford it)

if you run 2 slots, ur running ur ram @ ddr400... at 4 slots, its automatically ddr333

if you both A) really need the 2gb and B) cant afford to sell and buy 2x1gb, then stick with it. if either A or B is not true, change... u can always try the 4x512 first and see if ur okay with it, if ur sure about everything else

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Thanks to all who answered. That clears things up so I understand what's going on. The article was especially helpful as well.

*sigh* It looks like I'm gonna need to spend more money in my upgrade. :D I suppose I'm lucky I'm getting a decent size tax return this year.