KingLoftusXII

Splendid
Jan 17, 2006
My father wants a new rig and I've convinced him to build it. His gaming
is limited to XP pinball and he'd never oc it. He's a huge music/movie buff
so it's mainly going to be used for the web, music, and HDTV capture.

He'll be buying at the end of next month with a budget in the 2 to 3 G range,
but I want the components to come in under 2, leaving a grand for a case,
psu, speakers, and a monitor.

Here's what I've come up with so far...

Asus A8N-SLI premium
AMD X2 4800+
Radeon X1600XT 256MB
Corsair XMS 2x1GB (overkill going XMS?)
Seagate 7200.9 300GB 16MB SATA2
Creative X-Fi Platinum
Burner and possibly another HD or 2 to be named later.

He didn't go for the Raptor and doesn't want to wait for AM2.
Any thought's and suggestions greatly appreciated.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Last time I checked, it didn't take a 4800+ to run Microsoft Pinball, but I'll doublecheck. But I think 2GB is a little low for M$ Pinball, it likes 4GB, and that video card just won't do for pinball, it needs the x1900XT to show off it's high detail.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Yeah I thinjk XMS is a definite overkill. Value Ram will be fine for his purposes since he does not plan to overclock, and I think he could go for an AMD 3800 X2. Perhapes an Epox 9NPA Ultra, if he doesnt plan on using SLI. That should save some money. Changing the mobo and processor saves around $390, leaving more money for a sweet monitor,

KingLoftusXII

Splendid
Jan 17, 2006
Funny. He'll be keeping this rig awhile. He's currently using a
P3 1.0. That's the point of going for some power to get ahead of
curve for his kinda stuff. March 31 he's taking early retirement so
he'll have more time to play. He plan's on doing some serious
music/movie stuff with it.

I was thinking just Corsair value, but I'm only a year into this
building stuff so I wanted idea's from people with more knowledge.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
geez dude if hes such a media buff get a system like this for under a grand

x2 3800=300
corsair value select ram 2x512 mb=85
wd 250 gig hd sata 3.0=101
mobo ASRock 939NF4G=76
benq dvd burner=37
xp media center=115
case is up to you
total is 714(everything is from newegg)

KingLoftusXII

Splendid
Jan 17, 2006
Yes, initially I was thinkin' X2 3800+ but judging by Tom's and other charts
the 4800+ is 20sec to 1min faster encoding video. I would assume when HD
drives become available the gap for HDTV would increase, no? That's why I'm asking.

So if we'll build a system around an X2 4800 wouldn't it make sense to build all
the specs up to par in an (feeble) attempt to be as future ready as possible?

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
i would wait until june especially with that kind of budget you could go am2 and have first a better computer and more importantly more upgrade ability

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
just buy a computer for your purpose you could get a dell media center PC or something and save yourself so hassle.

trust me on this i have an old dell dimension 4200 from 2001 and we still use for alot.

if you do build its pending alot of money now in the hopes it will last you longer is a bad idea. your better off just getting a mobo with alot of room for expansion.

eviltechie

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
If he's going to be recording video and archiving it I'd recommend getting two more hard drives.

Get a match for the 300GB drive and mirror (RAID 1) it for reliable long term storage, and get a 150GB WD Raptor for the system drive. That way, if Windows dies, or the system drive crashes, it doesn't affect his long term storage. And, if one of the mirrored storage drives dies, you just replace it, no data loss.

I'm not familiar with the video card you're planning on getting, so it might include this. But he sounds like he'd make good use of a tv tuner card.

You could probably drop the processor level to X2 3800+. Big price difference, and you can always add the 4800 if the 3800 proves to big underpowered (it's price will likely drop in the future as well).

Don't skimp on memory though. IMO more is always better.

Maybe get a high-end DVD drive(s) if he's planning on using it to burn a lot of discs or watch a lot on his PC.

Again, I'm not the most familiar with video and such, but I would think you could get a much lower card for his uses. Maybe even two and drive two monitors.

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
just buy a computer for your purpose you could get a dell media center PC or something and save yourself so hassle.

trust me on this i have an old dell dimension 4200 from 2001 and we still use for alot.

if you do build its pending alot of money now in the hopes it will last you longer is a bad idea. your better off just getting a mobo with alot of room for expansion.

Trust me there is no worst crap on the market than overpriced, underperforming garbage manufactured by DELL! ( PC HELL !)

Just look inside and count the bucks.

Don't ever recommend that crap!

I personally modified on them many times cooling, (DELL cooling is an example how NOT to built PCs), replaced power supply, reformated hard disk drives to get rid of propriatory garbage loaded on that PC's hard disk drive!

And what is even worst a propriatory hardware which can not be used beside DELL, with lousy drivers

Don't EVER mention this garbage, as itb is only waste of money for corporate idiots.

i.e. Dell put the most powerful INTEL crsap, just to choke it with slugiush graphics and the cheapest out of sync memory.

That crap should never be allowed to be sold in US, perfect for arab countries, India and China!

They would love that Michael for ever ...

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
My father wants a new rig and I've convinced him to build it. His gaming
is limited to XP pinball and he'd never oc it. He's a huge music/movie buff
so it's mainly going to be used for the web, music, and HDTV capture.

He'll be buying at the end of next month with a budget in the 2 to 3 G range,
but I want the components to come in under 2, leaving a grand for a case,
psu, speakers, and a monitor.

Here's what I've come up with so far...

Asus A8N-SLI premium
AMD X2 4800+
Radeon X1600XT 256MB
Corsair XMS 2x1GB (overkill going XMS?)
Seagate 7200.9 300GB 16MB SATA2
Creative X-Fi Platinum
Burner and possibly another HD or 2 to be named later.

He didn't go for the Raptor and doesn't want to wait for AM2.
Any thought's and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Your choice is not bad, are you sure it is fore an old man?

It might be worth to wait for AM2 and Windows Vista 64.

Here you can modify your rig to be right on the money:

Lian Li V2000 150.00
Enermax EG 701 150.00
Asus A8N-SLI premium (great for single card) 170.00
AMD X2 3800 + (4200+ is sufficient) 320 (380)
Asus X700-X Radeon PCI Express 100
Corsair XMS 2x1GB (overkill going XMS?) ( OCZ 270 twin 270)
Seagate 7200.9 300GB 16MB SATA2 (Hitachi 160 GB - 40 U$ dollars after rebate)
Creative X-Fi Platinum - no need the nVidia / Realtek 7.1 AUDIO on board is excellent! 0

total ~ 1,200.00

Plextor PX 740 DVD burner is more than sufficient, ....
and possibly another HD or 2 to be named later.

Make sure your old man buys you a case of RED!

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
If he's going to be recording video and archiving it I'd recommend getting two more hard drives.

Get a match for the 300GB drive and mirror (RAID 1) it for reliable long term storage, and get a 150GB WD Raptor for the system drive. That way, if Windows dies, or the system drive crashes, it doesn't affect his long term storage. And, if one of the mirrored storage drives dies, you just replace it, no data loss.

I'm not familiar with the video card you're planning on getting, so it might include this. But he sounds like he'd make good use of a tv tuner card.

You could probably drop the processor level to X2 3800+. Big price difference, and you can always add the 4800 if the 3800 proves to big underpowered (it's price will likely drop in the future as well).

Maybe get a high-end DVD drive(s) if he's planning on using it to burn a lot of discs or watch a lot on his PC.

Again, I'm not the most familiar with video and such, but I would think you could get a much lower card for his uses. Maybe even two and drive two monitors.

Hard disk drives you can always ad so it is not an issue!

Only t he MAIN components hard to upgrade (Power Supply, MOBO, CPU, size and RAM) should be really discussed as those are really critical to PC relaibility and performance.

Other can be always upgraded with no headaches as needed.

KingLoftusXII

Splendid
Jan 17, 2006
I said old, but not that old ha! The onboard sound is good, but I
chose that X-Fi because of the DVD bay audio connctors for easy
plug-in. To buy an 3800 then upgrade later to a 4800 would cost the same
in the long run.

He'll be installing XP home that he already has until Vista comes out. A
Raptor would be nice but he didn't go for it. No red case...he's not a wild
man...he's a Prius driver! :wink:

Also, he doesn't want to wait for AM2. It's the old in 2 more months thing...
Wait a little longer for prices to drop, wait a little for 65nm, wait a little more
for quad-core. At some point ya' just can't wait anymore.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006

a dell are you insane want his dad to have a heart attack when talking to tech support well do you?

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I said old, but not that old ha! The onboard sound is good, but I chose that X-Fi because of the DVD bay audio connctors for easy plug-in. To buy an 3800 then upgrade later to a 4800 would cost the same in the long run.

Well if the issue is connectors that is a different kind of priorities.
However ONCE connected you do not need all the time to disconnect or reconnect.
At this time it might be worth to go with Athlon 64 X2 3800+ and if it will be to slow upgrade later to the "last" available CPU for socket 939, as the "cul de sac" of upgredability, it might be X2 5200 +, or a quad.
X2 4800 + cost you 645 U$ + and X2 3800+ about 310 U$.
Using dual processor board you might achieve quad today at the price difference of dual processor board rather than jumping to 4800+.
(or dual core Opterons i.e. model 170 or 175).

Granted, the performance advantage over the X2 3800+ is generally in the 7 - 10 % range, it's up to you to decide whether or not the advantage is worth it.
The issue of AMD's upcoming Socket-AM2, due out in 4 months, you obviously won't be able to use any Socket-939 processors in the new motherboards and there will be no upgrade path beyond the X2 or (X4) 5200+ if such will be made for for 939 sockets, you'll might be better off waiting for AM2.

Socket AM2 will launch at Computex Taipei on June 6, 2006 (06-06-2006).

Dual Core Done Right : AMD’s Athlon64 X2 Processors

520_large_amd_m2_timeframe.png

Athlon64.gif

He'll be installing XP home that he already has until Vista comes out. A Raptor would be nice but he didn't go for it. No red case...he's not a wild man...he's a Prius driver! :wink:

For now XP home might be more than enuff. Once VISTA shows up it unless using LINUXwould be only wise once more to pay Microsoft Tax on the second release of VISTA.
In my opinion a RAPTOR is not an issue as if really needed it can be always upgraded, at any time. However with new lines behind the corner with perpendicular recording drives and 10,000 RPM there is no point at this time to pay for way overpriced RAPTORS.

Also, he doesn't want to wait for AM2. It's the old in 2 more months thing...

The only issue with AM2 is future upgredability since 939 is at the end of cycle, as performance likely will not substantially change with DDR2, until the new sockets for Fully Buffered DIMMs.

Wait a little longer for prices to drop, wait a little for 65nm, wait a little more for quad-core. At some point ya' just can't wait anymore.

The prices have already droped to the real sane level, it is rather the upgredability than affordability.

AMD prices

POWER SUPPLY CALCULATOR

POWER SUPPLY CALCULATOR

Dual Core Done Right : AMD’s Athlon64 X2 Processors

ENERMAX POWER SUPPLY EG701AX-VE SFMA

If you are planing using Linux family the ATi cards have in my opinion better drivers support.

With ATi video I can connect to web using Knoppix 4.02 - using wireless (Proxim - ORiNOCO PCI!

KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23

May the megahertzes roll again.

KingLoftusXII

Splendid
Jan 17, 2006
Thanks pcrig. I dropped the video card to an eVGA 6600le and switched
to corsair value RAM. The main reason for the 4800+ now is he just got
his last big bonus since he'll be retiring and would like to 'max' out now
while he has the extra dough burning a hole in his pocket. And aside from
additional drives, and HD burner and such once built it'll probably have to
make due for a few years, and AM2 will even be a memory.

The front mounted connectors are a huge plus because even in his 50's
he still likes to get stoned once and awhile and fiddle around. Gotta
love 'em.