Parallel port vs USB port

Can someone advise me the benefit of USB 2.0 over parallel port and USB 1.1
port especially in terms of effective printing speed.

Thanks,

Ray
8 answers Last reply
More about parallel port port

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:34:07 +0800, in comp.periphs.printers "Ray"
    <NoSpam-Ray282828@Yahoo.com.HK> wrote:

    >Can someone advise me the benefit of USB 2.0 over parallel port and USB 1.1
    >port especially in terms of effective printing speed.

    Depends a lot on the printer, as to what is the critical factor in printing
    throughput. Communications and/or the actual printing process which have a
    specific speed associated with it to allow the ink to dry on the paper a
    bit.

    Epson 1270 parallel vs usb 1.1 about the same.

    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
    to the cited author.]

    In article <31vt8rF3g366pU1@individual.net>, NoSpam-Ray282828
    @Yahoo.com.HK says...
    > Can someone advise me the benefit of USB 2.0 over parallel port and USB 1.1
    > port especially in terms of effective printing speed.

    I don't think most any consumer/small-office printer can overload any
    of them. Some newer printers may support USB 2, but that may be mainly
    to prevent issues with some USB 2 ports that drop everything down to 1.1
    speeds if a slower device is connected.

    Between USB and parallel, it's mainly an issue of convenience.
    Parallel is fast disappearing from printers anyways, and even from newer
    computers.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    > Ray <NoSpam-Ray282828@Yahoo.com.HK> wrote:

    > Can someone advise me the benefit of USB 2.0
    > over parallel port and USB 1.1 port especially
    > in terms of effective printing speed.

    The speed difference is apt to be negligible.

    The parallel port still has one advantage over
    USB (or LAN): you can print from DOS (not just
    from a DOS window), and from BIOS using the
    [PrntScrn] key.

    Hi Ray,

    There is a very useful site on the web called 'Everything USB'. Quoting from
    one
    of there pages is the following:

    USB 2.0 has a raw data rate at 480Mbps, and it is rated 40 times faster than
    its predecessor interface, USB 1.1, which tops at 12Mbps. Originally, USB 2.0
    was intended to go only as fast as 240Mbps, but then, USB 2.0 Promoter Group
    increased the speed to 480Mbps in October 1999.

    There is more details on this site about how USB 2.0 has 3 different speed
    rates depending on what you hook it up to.

    As you might see in a previous posting, I am having problems connecting a HP
    printer with USB 2.0 to an older DELL computer with USB 1.0.

    Sherwin D.

    Ray wrote:

    >Can someone advise me the benefit of USB 2.0 over parallel port and USB 1.1
    >port especially in terms of effective printing speed.

    With any computer that is recent enough to have USB ports, print speed
    is effectively the same with either USB or Parallel connections.

    Just use whatever method is most convenient or economical for you.

    Ray wrote:
    > Can someone advise me the benefit of USB 2.0 over parallel port and USB 1.1
    > port especially in terms of effective printing speed.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    Almost no difference because few printers can print faster than the
    slowest port can transmit data. USB may be slightly faster (HP says 10%)
    because it puts less demand on the CPU.

    That is true most times.I have a very highend photo printer that supports
    firewire and USB2.0.If I connect ot to a USB1.1 port,it gives me a message
    box that says "this is not a high speed connection".It will not print until
    I plug it in to a USB2.0 connection.My system has both types of USB,as well
    as both firewire 400 and 800.

    Douglas wrote:

    >That is true most times.I have a very highend photo printer that supports
    >firewire and USB2.0.If I connect ot to a USB1.1 port,it gives me a message
    >box that says "this is not a high speed connection".It will not print until
    >I plug it in to a USB2.0 connection.

    Then that printer is not using the official USB 2.0 format, or the
    driver software is deliberately restricting the connection for some
    demented reason.

    Either way, it's not typical and it's not a fully compliant model.

Printers Parallel Port USB Peripherals