Sound Obliteration - help! Drivers or what?

A couple of days ago I had a big crash (my 2nd in two
weeks, the first lost me my video but I recovered it with
a reinstall). This 2nd was a Blue Screen equivalent.
Ahen I reinstalled, I lost all my data and was glad of my
backups, but I had no sound. I've used the help and
support thingy, and nothing works, Windows keeps asking
me questions about my audio device. I have no idea what
that is and nothing I see in the device manager seems to
fit the bill; I've looked at properties on everything and
as I don't know what my sound card is I have no idea
which devide driver to download. Device Manager tells me
I have:"Audio Codecs","legacy Audio Drivers", "Legacy
Video Capture Devices", "Media Control Devices","MPU-401
Compatible MIDI Device","Standard Game Port", "Video
Codecs", and that's all I know. If anyone can sugest
what my sound card is/where to get the drivers/another
simple solution to the problem, I'd be most grateful!

I was a big fan of XP, but now I'm not so sure - even the
2 reinstalls I had to do didn't recover this one!

pammi

Get XP drivers for your video and sound cards.