what do i need to do to upgrade to amd dual core

viper1986

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
i have an asus 8an sli deluxe mobo(socket 939), and need to know what i have to do (if anything) when i put a dual core in it. can i just put the new cpu in, or do i need to update the bios, or do i need a new mobo? help?

viper1986

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
thanks. i had just wondered b/c my single core 3200 is tooo slow for me, and i don't know that much about dual core processors yet. also, i am only running windows xp not xp64. is that a problem?

sixbone

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
mpjesse is wrong, you must update your bios to the latest version: 1016 and you can drop any 939 cpu on the market in there. "out of the box nforce 4 supports dual core" not the box mine came out of, i had bios rev. 1001. Before you update the bios, go here Nvidia and get the latest chipset drivers to avoid corrupting your file system. It's a warning from Asus about their newest bios revisions.

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
it depends when you bought your motherboard, just to be safe go ahead and update your bios with most current update from the manufactures website. After that shut down your computer and install the tyour new dual core cpu and it should work.

mpjesse

Splendid
ummm... he has an Asus A8N-SLI deluxe. that board has supported dual cores from day one. no bios updates needed. i have the premium edition of this damned board and i'm using an X2. only difference between the premium and deluxe is the premium uses a heatpipe design. that's it. they're identical.

-mpjesse

sixbone

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
ummm... he has an Asus A8N-SLI deluxe. that board has supported dual cores from day one. no bios updates needed. i have the premium edition of this damned board and i'm using an X2. only difference between the premium and deluxe is the premium uses a heatpipe design. that's it. they're identical.

-mpjesse

Look at that link-->Asus CPU Support A8N-SLI deluxe and tell me that since day 1 the A8N-SLI deluxe has supported dual core...I had bios rev. 1001 when I got mine a year ago and the BIOS didn't support dual core.

Dude, if he got a board that was old stock it could have an older bios rev. why not just advise him to upgrade the bios so he doesn't end up with a non-bootable machine. then he'll have to take out his new cpu, put in the old one, flash the bios and then put the new cpu back in again. why not just avoid the hassle.

THE BIOS...NOBODY MENTIONED THE CHIPSET NOT SUPPORTING IT!!!!

and as far as the deluxe and prem. being identical..you're wrong again...you can select sli in the bios with prem....on the deluxe i have to flip a card that's between the two pci-e slots. then go into the bios and select sli.....get a clue bro...3000+ posts don't mean diddly if you give crap advice.