Evga 6800gs versus HIS HIGHTECH Radeon x800gto

nannerla

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
im upgrading my comt to amd athlon 3200+, 1 gig of ram a new PS, a new motherboard and a new graphics card but was wondering which one of the I should go for? I will be upgrading again near the end of this summer cuz im 14 and get like 5 or 6 mowing jobs a summer and will probably get another gig a 3800+ and a 7800 but until then which one of these cards is better for gaming.I will mainly be playing battlefield 2, some half life 2 and assorted source mods, callof duty 2 and fear. I am aware that the geforce has pixel shader 3 but lacks open gl 2 but the ati only has pixel shader 2.1 but opengl 2.0. Which one of these is the better deal for the games I will be playing?

EDIT: Sorry i forgot the links.
6800:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130267
x800:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161146

pauldh

Illustrious
what exactly is the card better at?

The X800GTO would take a few games, but most would go to the 6800GS. The PCI-e ones have some nice high clock speeds and the GS keeps up with the 6800GT. Both cards offer great bang for the buck. I am quite partial to the HIS Ice Q's so the choice would be hard for me(especially bundled with another copy of Flatout for me to give to a friend). But from a sheer performance standpoint the 6800GS would be the better choice.

Look over some benchies for the games /resolution/settings you want to play:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/index0512.html

Scratch

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005
Hi, i see you play BF2 as well. a week ago 1 got my new card and started playing on high graphics, but to be honest it was pointless as you cant see the enemies from all the dark shadows and all. so now most of the settings are on low (lighting), terrain on low (because otherwise you cant see owt) and geometries on HIGH.

quake 4 and NFS most wanted runs smoothly on maxed out settings (1280x1024) on my bfg 6800 gs.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
i know stuff comes out all the time, but it seems kinda pointless to buy 2 sets of the same shit so close together, i'm just saying save up and buy a n x1900xt or something lol.

the difference between a 3200 and a 3800 even if its dual core are minimal, so that really doesn't need to be upgraded. The 7800gt is a good card, but there not much point going from a brand new 6800gs to a new 7800gt.

He COULD possibly sell the stuff he buys now but as YOU stated technology is ever changing and by then they could depreciate quite a bit.

nannerla

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
im gonna upgrade now and again at the end of summer but by then prices would have dropped so i might get diffrent stuff than i plan.I will probablysell the stuff i buy now for a little more cash but by then itll probably be worth less so i could just use it for something else. I really wanna upgrade now so i can play the games i mentioned with a few of my friends. The reason i wanna get the 3800 even though performance diffrence is little is because of the dual core so i could like runa a game and some other software at the same time like itunes. Of course i might nopt even upgrade at the end of summer and wait till like afte christmasd next year after i get a little more money then